VIP722 via Logitech remote

Harmony remotes work great. Just be aware of a couple of things; 1) Harmony remotes will not be able to send UHF codes so you can NOT use it when the receiver is in Dual mode for the TV#2 output. 2) The remote address of the receiver must be set to #1.

John

Used the 880 for a long time. Always liked it. Upgraded to the new Harmony ONE. WOW! Definitely consider it for your purchase. Ergonomically just plain elegant. Much better

Tom

Harmony ONE with Vip722HD

Good afternoon...... I am considering buying the Harmony ONE remote.
All that I have read is great about Harmony itself, from customer service to online support.
So my question is .......Does the ONE control the Vip722 with all aspects of the functions ....ie swap,PIP,move,record,FF,Rew,guide....ECT and contol the volume on my Samsung A/V reciever.
Thanks.

Samsung upconvert DVD 1080P7

I don't have a Harmony ONE, but I can do everything with my 688 that I can do with Dish remote. It operates my DVD player, Htpc, TV, and A/V receiver just fine. If I need to fine tune my TV or A/V rec I sometimes get their remotes out.

i have an 880 i wont control my ps3 or wii, but does control my sony HTIB tuner, my 622,my panasonic tv ,and my hdmi switch, most of the time.

I have tried to get the timing right, without much sucess but if you point and click on or off, but then put the remote down immediately it usually misses something and then i have to switch off manually, if you leave it pointed in the right direction for about 5 seconds it will do everything.

All that said it works great with this one nuance

i have an 880 i wont control my ps3 or wii, but does control my sony HTIB tuner, my 622,my panasonic tv ,and my hdmi switch, most of the time.

I have tried to get the timing right, without much sucess but if you point and click on or off, but then put the remote down immediately it usually misses something and then i have to switch off manually, if you leave it pointed in the right direction for about 5 seconds it will do everything.

All that said it works great with this one nuance

If everything does not turn off/on just go to the help button and it will ask what device is not in the correct mode and it will then fix it. If the help screens don't ask about a device then you don't have it set up correctly

One other question - How "sensitive" is the Harmony's IR signal - I love the 722's remote because I don't have to have a rife scope mounted on it to point at the DVR like I used to have with my "D's" tivo remote.

Harmony 880 for $99!

Ordered mine last week. Go to htguys.com ans use promocode for amazon.com. Awesome deal.

Harmony's IR signal is very good. You don't have to point it right at stuff. My wife is often seen using it to surf the guide with the IR emitters pointed at the ceiling. :)

Y'know... a lot of folks bash the Harmony remotes because of the web based setup. I gotta say, though, that they really do the job of getting rid of the basket-of-remotes we would be using if not for the Harmony 880. It makes it easy for teh entire family to use what would otherwise be a complicated entertainment setup. (for THEM... not for an AV enthusiast). Heck my 80 year old mother can come over and use everything with no "lessons".

That being said... if I can swing it the next time I have to replace a remote, I might look at the URC line. The difference there is that you install software on your computer and program it right there without a web interface. And I am told it is a relatively simple matter to have them operating as "activities based" rather than "device based". So you have choices. I think the URC ones are a bit higher priced, but it's an option.

Tough to beat the Logitechs for simple setup though.

If everything does not turn off/on just go to the help button and it will ask what device is not in the correct mode and it will then fix it. If the help screens don't ask about a device then you don't have it set up correctly

Your right that works too. but it doesnt fix the root cause, which is it does each device it seems in some sort of sequence, i cant seem to get that sequence and the timers right.

Your right that works too. but it doesnt fix the root cause, which is it does each device it seems in some sort of sequence, i cant seem to get that sequence and the timers right.

you can change the sequence. Look at your setup in the software. I think if you choose "yes but I want more control over devices" when it asks if everything is working... you can change the sequence of events when you power on and power off and set delays.. I must be lucky. I haven't had to mess with delays and stuff. My equipment seems to work out of the box with the 880 (and the 676 before that).

For my 880, I had to change the power on to 1st command delay to 20 seconds for my rear projection TV and it gets it 95% of the time. When the TV takes a little longer to warm up and it misses the input command, I just press Help and it takes care of any issues. Love it!

The Logitech Harmony remotes are absolutely awesome and a breeze to setup. I haven't found a device yet that they won't control every aspect of easily. Some of the commands that I don't use often I simply have mapped to screen buttons so they're available even if I have to hit the next button a couple of times. I started with a 659 but it lost conductivity on the select button (a pretty critical button for me) and while I did temporarily map it to another button instead I just didn't like the placement. So I used that as an excuse to buy a 670 which I like even better because the button placement for the PVR buttons is much more logical around the arrow pad as opposed to the bottom of the remote like the 659 had them. Get one, they're great remotes and have a gigantic WAF tied in with them.

I have an 880 and used it for both a 522 and 722. I love it. Had one small problem with the charging cradle. I called and they sent me a brand new unit. I also bought a Logitech bluetooth wireless that after about a year the plastic headband staerted to crack. I called them and they sent me a brand new (newer model that removed the problem) with no questions asked. So the jist of this email is its a great product, easy to use with top notch costumer service.

Good afternoon...... I am considering buying the Harmony ONE remote.
All that I have read is great about Harmony itself, from customer service to online support.
So my question is .......Does the ONE control the Vip722 with all aspects of the functions ....ie swap,PIP,move,record,FF,Rew,guide....ECT and contol the volume on my Samsung A/V reciever.
Thanks.

Yes. The way Harmony works is first you set it up with a program connected to an Internet database full of other users settings for equipment you are adding. When you set up "Watch TV" for example, you choose equipment that operates the TV - turn on TV, switch input HDMI1, turn on Receiver, switch input TV, turn on Vip712. In this mode you assign how all the buttons work. Add and subtract functions available, etc. And you do this for every activity and for every device. You can switch easily to and from activity and device. In short - it is infinitely adjustable.

That said, I like the 722 remote for watching TV better than my Harmony 676. But, the only other remote in my media room is the Harmony that controls every other activity and 6 devices individually.

Thanks to all that replied - I bit the bullet and bought a Harmony 880 off eBay. I'll update once I receive and program it.
Thanks again for making this an easy decision - this is a great site with mucho information and a minimun of BS.

I have the Harmony One. I'm still fine tuning it. You set it up with "activities", which turns on all the appropriate stuff and settings with one click. So, for instance, my in-laws can figure out how to turn on the VCR.

Because the dish remote does not know my sony tuner, and the tuner and tv remotes don't know each other, I was juggling 3 remotes before.

There are web sites to get good icons for your favorite channels. I like the color touch screen, which looks extra cool with custom designed icons.

Where are you finding those icons? I thought about setting up some favorites but couldn't find many icons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)