vip722 w/ OTA antenna

fire_317

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 21, 2004
I am looking into upgrading my programming to include HD. I currently have a 721. I used to have a 6000 prior to that and I was able to hook an OTA antenna to that and I was able to have my locals show up in the program guide. If I hook up an OTA antenna to the vip722, will locals show up on the guide and if so, can you record showsfrom these locals via DVR? I would like to not subscribe to my locals since I know I can get them just fine with the OTA antenna. Recording ths shows would be the issue I suspect that Dish forces to subscribe to locals.

I hope that makes sense!

Thanks!

Kots of threads on this. If you subscribe to lvcoals via DISh tou get guide info for many OTA digital channels. but you have to sub to the locals even though we are talking about OTA channels.

The x22 has three tuners. Two satellite and one OTA. You can simultaneously record from all three.

if you don't sub to locals you have to add manual times. Many hate that but it is exactly what we did for years with VCRs

Unless it's changed lately, you can get your locals thru Dish (which will give you the guide info and MUCH easier DVR recording), as well as no DVR fee for one DVR with the DVR Advantage plan for about $1 a month more. Crazy not to get it for the buck a month-----I have my locals OTA as well.

Ed

MyVIP722 was receiving free OTA locals until last month. Software update L5.11 apparently caused a conflict when OTA locals are scanned in, resulting with a acquiring satellite signal problem.

When I talked to Dish last month, the CSR said it is a known technical issue, and in order to receive OTA locals, the solution was to enabled DMA locals until they fixed the problem. He agreed to enable DMA locals without cost for a month, and call back in 30 days to see if the problem is fixed.

After speaking with tech support today I understand no fix is underway, and I will be charged to continue DMA locals because they do not guarantee OTA local reception, and I have the option to connect the OTA antenna directly to the TV

When I was getting free OTA locals, no program guide info was given; it just said digital services for the channel, and I would have to set up a manual timer to record. With DMA locals enabled, program info is given for OTA locals, along with full DVR functions.

Unless it's changed lately, you can get your locals thru Dish (which will give you the guide info and MUCH easier DVR recording), as well as no DVR fee for one DVR with the DVR Advantage plan for about $1 a month more. Crazy not to get it for the buck a month-----I have my locals OTA as well.

Ed
Actually, it's about three dollars less.

DISH IS STICKING IT TO US.

MyVIP722 was receiving free OTA locals until last month. Software update L5.11 apparently caused a conflict when OTA locals are scanned in, resulting with a acquiring satellite signal problem.

When I talked to Dish last month, the CSR said it is a known technical issue, and in order to receive OTA locals, the solution was to enabled DMA locals until they fixed the problem. He agreed to enable DMA locals without cost for a month, and call back in 30 days to see if the problem is fixed.

After speaking with tech support today I understand no fix is underway, and I will be charged to continue DMA locals because they do not guarantee OTA local reception, and I have the option to connect the OTA antenna directly to the TV

When I was getting free OTA locals, no program guide info was given; it just said digital services for the channel, and I would have to set up a manual timer to record. With DMA locals enabled, program info is given for OTA locals, along with full DVR functions.

Got a Dish 722VIP receiver.
Got a new Terk HDTVo antenna for over air channels.
Scanned in locals through Dish receiver and can't get Channel 8 (ABC)...get 0%.
Get 90-100% on all the other locals (NBC, CBS, FOX...even the .2, .3 channels with radar.)
I disconnect from Dish receiver and connect antenna directly to plasma and it scans in all the no problem and I get Channel 8 at 100% with .1, .2 & .3.

How can I get Channel 8 at 0% on Dish receiver and 100% on TV? I understand that Channel 8 in digital is actually channel 9 and it is VHF. Most other channels are broadcasting in UHF digitally and are on the upper end of the channel spectrum. Channel 8 is the only station that is broadcasting in VHF digitally. The antenna is a VHF/UHF antenna and gets it on my TV by itself just fine.....just not through the Dish Receiver.

Today, all my over air channels are receiving a 0% signal strength......what's up with that? I tried to rescan them in and no luck.

It is almost like DISH is FORCING US to buy the locals with them. I spoke with them on the phone and they are sending a tech to the house next week at no charge. They said if it was a tuner issue in the receiver that they would replace it. I wonder if that update they did in the earlier post is meant to throw off your locals? I mean if DISH can get another $5 a month from customers by making them get the locals......that is alot of cabbage $$$$.

I had a problem not getting a channel after getting an update on my 622.
The update reset the HD Setup , Menu,6,8 under Analog Type it should say Offair.
Might be the same on the 722.

....It is almost like DISH is FORCING US to buy the locals with them.

...I mean if DISH can get another $5 a month from customers by making them get the locals......that is alot of cabbage $$$$.

Yes, I agree ... it sure seems they try to get every nickle and dime they can.

DElete all channels , reboot and then try to rescan your channels .

Your advice worked. Even got Channel 8.1, .2, .3 (ABC) but I can only get it at 57% and it won't even show up to viewing satisfactory......but atleast I got it.

I just don't understand why I can get 98-100% hooking my off air to the TV directly and only 57% through the DISH receiver????

I have the antenna in the attic for now...........maybe I have to mount it on the roof to get that little bit extra for channel 8 (ABC)?:confused:

Where are you in the DFW metroplex and do you know exactly which antenna you have?

I live in Weatherford (west Fort Worth and the metroplex). The antenna I have is a Terk HDRVo antenna. This won't let me post the link but you can google the antenna and find it.

I'm not familar w/ the Terks, but I have a channel master yagi in the attic & even though it's directional, I have multipath problems (really want to get it outside, but too lazy). If the Terk is an omni, you may have multipath, and from reading other posts on here, the Dish OTA tuners don't play well w/ multipath, where as some TV tuners are more set up to handle it... just a thought...

I'm not familar w/ the Terks, but I have a channel master yagi in the attic & even though it's directional, I have multipath problems (really want to get it outside, but too lazy). If the Terk is an omni, you may have multipath, and from reading other posts on here, the Dish OTA tuners don't play well w/ multipath, where as some TV tuners are more set up to handle it... just a thought...

I don't understand why all the other channels are coming in at near 100% except one (Channel 8-ABC out of Dallas). Most of all the other digital channels are now UHF.......EXCEPT Channel 8 which is Channel 9 (VHF) in digital. :confused:

You hit it being VHF, it is lower power and a longer wave length. Come Feb 2009 ABC is going back to CH8 and 52 is going to be on CH9.

You hit it being VHF, it is lower power and a longer wave length. Come Feb 2009 ABC is going back to CH8 and 52 is going to be on CH9.

Well, if it is going to stay VHF then it is not going to help me any on Feb. 2009. Blows me away that I can get 98% signal going directly to my TV.....yet when I run it to my Dish 722 receiver then I only get 58%.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)