vip722 won't turn on - blinking green and red lights

segami

Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
Austin, Tx
vip722 won't turn on - blinking green and red lights - did my hard drive die?

Hi All,
From the searching around I've done, I think my hard drive died on me, but hadn't seen anyone explicitly call out my problem I am seeing. After messing with my coax cables in my outside junction box, my receiver stopped responding, so I did a hard reboot by unplugging and replugging in my vip722. Now, I am hearing a quick ticking sound and with each tick, the green TV1, red TV1 and red TV2 lights also flash. Does this mean my hard drive is toast? It will not boot up or output any display. I even tried unplugging everything from the receiver and connecting the power to a new outlet all by itself with nothing else plugged in.

More details about my cables: I was trying to add a splitter to my home network to get my TV2 output to broadcast into two rooms. When I finally found the correct coax to hook up (prewired house, but cables to each room not labelled in the outside junction box), I noticed that my dish receiver had lost the signal and was trying to reacquire the satellites (was showing the searching page on my tv2 display). I rehooked up my outside cables to the way they were before I started messing with them. Then I checked my actual receiver and it was non-responsive - wouldn't even hard reset by holding the reset button in the front panel. So I unplugged it and replugged it in a minute later and had the problem above.

Any thoughts anyone? If the hard drive is toast, will Dish replace the receiver? I don't have the Home Protection Plan anymore - should I add it before calling up Dish?

Also, in my searching, I've seen people talk about their receiver doing a streaming thing for 12+ hrs (something about helping them get rid of blinking lights) - anyone know what that is all about?

Thanks for any help.
-Chris

Last edited:
Quick ticking is a dead give away the HDD is dead. Add the DHPP and have them ship you a replacement. Or pay a bit and upgrade to the 722k and ask for a free OTA module since you have been put out some much and lost some much stuff on the dead unit. If you have the ext HDD hooked up then you may try unplugging for the night and trying again in the mornign and maybe you can have enuff time to move the stuff. But don't count on that working.

sounds to me like the power supply is out, had a similar problem with my 722 a few weeks back after several calls to dish they finally replaced unit.

I ended up calling them and they are sending a replacement 722 - hopefully it will work. The lady did mention that I have an upgrade available on my account - I thought about using it for the 722k, but decided to wait a bit for the 922 to come out and possibly use it then.

Maybe wise

I ended up calling them and they are sending a replacement 722 - hopefully it will work. The lady did mention that I have an upgrade available on my account - I thought about using it for the 722k, but decided to wait a bit for the 922 to come out and possibly use it then.

Since the 922 will be out in about a month then in a couple more you can do the upgrade.