VIP722

texasone

Original poster
Aug 27, 2017
California
I have one VIP 722 cabled to one TV. Is the current operational plan for setting timers always like this?
For example:
I set a timer for 8:00 pm. I am watching a live channel and at 8:00 pm the timer fires on and the channel switches over to the timer show channel. Then I have to go to the guide, find the live show I was watching and then select it, which returns me to the live show channel.
The dvr is set to single mode because there is one TV and one dvr operating. It hasn't always been this way, but seemed to switch over to the channel switching more recently.
Calling DISH tech support has not really been helpful... If this is the default for the 722 then I can make replacement decisions, or if there is a setting not in place, please inform me.

I have one VIP 722 cabled to one TV. Is the current operational plan for setting timers always like this?
For example:
I set a timer for 8:00 pm. I am watching a live channel and at 8:00 pm the timer fires on and the channel switches over to the timer show channel. Then I have to go to the guide, find the live show I was watching and then select it, which returns me to the live show channel.
The dvr is set to single mode because there is one TV and one dvr operating. It hasn't always been this way, but seemed to switch over to the channel switching more recently.
Calling DISH tech support has not really been helpful... If this is the default for the 722 then I can make replacement decisions, or if there is a setting not in place, please inform me.
I have 2 722ks and they do not do that, pull the plug for 10 seconds and see it stops doing that, Do you get a any message before it does that?

I have 2 722ks and they do not do that, pull the plug for 10 seconds and see it stops doing that, Do you get a any message before it does that?

His is in solo mode, which mirrors the same feed to both tuners

I would set it back to dual mode and make sure the default tuner for recordings is set to 2. I can't remember the exact name but in the menu under preferences - record plus
I switched over to dual mode, and set the default tuner to TV 2. Results: the live channel I watch still switches over to the timer channel. Does this in both modes.

I switched over to dual mode, and set the default tuner to TV 2. Results: the live channel I watch still switches over to the timer channel. Does this in both modes.
You have me on that one. I'll post it on the tech portal and see what comes up for you

Reactions: Darrell S

I think you have to create a new timer, or the old timer is still there set to record on TV1. Now what's inexplicable to me is that the problem you describe should never happen in solo mode, assuming you set the timer in question while in solo mode.

I think you have to create a new timer, or the old timer is still there set to record on TV1. Now what's inexplicable to me is that the problem you describe should never happen in solo mode, assuming you set the timer in question while in solo mode.
This occurs regardless of the timer channel, and when it's programmed. I can do a test of any channel, and it will auto default to the timer channel.

I hadn't thought of that. I wonder if he can edit the timer to record on tuner 2 instead of tuner 1 without having to re-create the timer

I hadn't thought of that. I wonder if he can edit the timer to record on tuner 2 instead of tuner 1 without having to re-create the timer
This occurs regardless of the timer channel, and when it's programmed. I can do a test of any channel, and it will auto default to the timer channel. Example: watching 205, test timer for 203. Timer fires to 203 while watching 205, and it is disrupted to watch 203 live.

This occurs regardless of the timer channel, and when it's programmed. I can do a test of any channel, and it will auto default to the timer channel.

I am sorry but I can't understand what you mean. Do you mean the "timer's tuner"? Of course this is independent of the channels on which you set a timer.

The question is, what output were you using when you originally set the timer? If the 722 is set up in dual mode and not set up to default to TV2, then when you set a timer from TV1 it's going to stay there (I think) even after you switch back to solo mode.

Reactions: pattykay
I am sorry but I can't understand what you mean. Do you mean the "timer's tuner"? Of course this is independent of the channels on which you set a timer.

The question is, what output were you using when you originally set the timer? If the 722 is set up in dual mode and not set up to default to TV2, then when you set a timer from TV1 it's going to stay there (I think) even after you switch back to solo mode.
In single mode, the default is to TV 2. This TV and DVR are cabled, there's only one TV/DVR. How does one change the default to TV1? Or, is it possible, I haven't been able to. Or, would this set up create the live channel disruption?

In single mode, the default is to TV 2. This TV and DVR are cabled, there's only one TV/DVR. How does one change the default to TV1? Or, is it possible, I haven't been able to. Or, would this set up create the live channel disruption?

My memory is hazy on this so don't quote me. :D If you originally set the timer from TV1 in dual mode, in the default 722 setup this would affix that timer to TV1 so as not to disrupt operations on TV2. If you have never been in dual mode, then I don't understand what your 722 is doing because it's not supposed to do that in solo mode.

My memory is hazy on this so don't quote me. :D If you originally set the timer from TV1 in dual mode, in the default 722 setup this would affix that timer to TV1 so as not to disrupt operations on TV2. If you have never been in dual mode, then I don't understand what your 722 is doing because it's not supposed to do that in solo mode.
How does one change the default to TV1? It's defaulted to TV2, but that can't be changed. Really all that I need is to stop the live channel from being disrupted each time a timer fires.

Does the H/3 timers switch from the live channel to the timer that's scheduled like the one I have described for the 722?
The reason your VIP722 switched from live channel to the timer that is scheduled was probably because there weren't enough tuners available. You will not have that issue with a Hopper 3 because you have 16 plus tuners available.

How does one change the default to TV1? It's defaulted to TV2, but that can't be changed. Really all that I need is to stop the live channel from being disrupted each time a timer fires.

That can be changed. Go to the menu, preferences, record plus and you'll see how you can change the default to TV 2. I posted this on the tech Portal and the best answer I got was to keep it in solo mode so that your 722 acts like a 612. It seems like you had it that way but we're still having problems. I wish I was more proficient with VIP receivers but if you end up going with the hopper 3 you'll never have a problem with recording again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts