vip722k remote issues

usmaak

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
Hi,

I've only had this DVR for about a week. The remote was working fine for it. Now all of a sudden, once I turn off the DVR with the remote, I cannot turn it back on. I have to go to the DVR and press either the power button or the select button. Sometimes when I press the select button on the DVR and it turns back on, it has the signal meter showing (6-1-1), but I did not leave the signal meter one when shutting it off.

Any ideas what could be going on? I discovered this little issue while trying to program a Harmony 700. But I am not using the Harmony 700 to turn it on and off, I'm using the remote that came with the DVR. I could not actually get the Harmony to work at all, and I'm taking it back to BB for a refund tomorrow.

Thanks for any help you all can give me. I have another vip722 (older model) downstairs that works just fine with an older harmony remote.

Edit: I should also say that sometimes it works fine, and I can turn it on and off and on again. But then it just stops responding and will not turn on. I've tried taking the batteries out of the remote (don't know why) and resetting the DVR, and neither of those actions did anything.

Last edited:
I have the same problems with my 722k remote and receiver. I have a toshiba LCD hdtv . I have decided it must be the remote control itself. I can use an older ir remote control and a uhf older remote on the same receiver and it works fine. But unfortunately the older remote controls don't control my a/v receiver like my new 722k black remote control does .

Remote address

Hi,

I've only had this DVR for about a week. The remote was working fine for it. Now all of a sudden, once I turn off the DVR with the remote, I cannot turn it back on. I have to go to the DVR and press either the power button or the select button. Sometimes when I press the select button on the DVR and it turns back on, it has the signal meter showing (6-1-1), but I did not leave the signal meter one when shutting it off.

Any ideas what could be going on? I discovered this little issue while trying to program a Harmony 700. But I am not using the Harmony 700 to turn it on and off, I'm using the remote that came with the DVR. I could not actually get the Harmony to work at all, and I'm taking it back to BB for a refund tomorrow.

Thanks for any help you all can give me. I have another vip722 (older model) downstairs that works just fine with an older harmony remote.

Edit: I should also say that sometimes it works fine, and I can turn it on and off and on again. But then it just stops responding and will not turn on. I've tried taking the batteries out of the remote (don't know why) and resetting the DVR, and neither of those actions did anything.

Sounds like the remote address could be different than the one that the Harmony works with.

This has nothing to do with the Harmony remote. I probably shouldn't have thrown in that information about the harmony remote. This is happening with the remote that came with the DVR AND the harmony remote. Both are acting in exactly the same fashion. So ignoring the harmony, I still have the same problem with the remote that came with the DVR.

My 722k + remote worked flawlessly for the first month and now it is super flakey (doesn't reliably respond to button presses) until the TV has been on for ~15 minutes. There's a thread about possible interference from LCD TV's until they warm up, but it's weird that it wasn't a problem at first with no other hardware changes.

Turning on/off isn't an issue for me, though.

I use a Harmony 880, btw, and it controls the DVR fine. Both it and the original Remote #1 exhibit the same behaviour.

We've got this same problem with our 722 and LCD tv (Toshiba Regza). The 722 remote is very sluggish when you first turn the TV on. Sometimes it won't work at all when you first turn the TV on. However, if you put the remote right up to the IR port on the front of the 722 it will work (DVR is just below the TV). Seems like the LCD is putting out some sort of radiation when first turned on that interferes with the IR from the remote. The UHF in the other room never has any trouble.

I've had my 722K for a month and a half. Real flaky remote response...real inconconsistent and occasioanlly just stops working at all. Have spent @ 3 hours on tech support calls with Dish. # replacement remotes. 2 replacement receivers. Reset receiver 3-5 times; reset remotes at least that many times. @ TV's (older Hitachi rear projection; new LG 60" plasma. No fluorescent lites, etc. etc.

Sounds like no one here has a solution but am about ready to cancel DIsh if all they keep wanting to do is replace and rest" stuff!

BTW...have an older 622 upstairs that has always worked flawlessly.

I've had my 722K for a month and a half. Real flaky remote response...real inconconsistent and occasioanlly just stops working at all. Have spent @ 3 hours on tech support calls with Dish. # replacement remotes. 2 replacement receivers. Reset receiver 3-5 times; reset remotes at least that many times. @ TV's (older Hitachi rear projection; new LG 60" plasma. No fluorescent lites, etc. etc.

Sounds like no one here has a solution but am about ready to cancel DIsh if all they keep wanting to do is replace and rest" stuff!

BTW...have an older 622 upstairs that has always worked flawlessly.
Which TV is connected to 722K? If it's the plasma and if it has any backlighting control, turn it off. Or, as said above, go UHF.

After about a month with the 'K,' both remotes went south. DISH sent out one new one, an RF model, which did work, although it can be a bit wonky at times. Our telly is a rear-projection Sony, so there was no issue of LCD or plasma interference. While I was waiting for the replacement remote, I did find I could use the IR remote for the 722 I have in a different room, to drive the 'K.'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)