VIP922 busted?

ESA1178

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Sacramento, CA USA
The main VIP922 guide in my living room will fast skip through a page or two when I use the remote page up/down.
Sometimes I can only go page to page when cycling station to station.
Do I need to replace the receiver?

Thanks!

Mark

It should be.. it's a disgrace!!

Mark

Mark
I am contemplating upgrading from my 722 to a 922. You mention it's a disgrace. Why?
I read that the 922 has a "better" user interface and some additional functionality. I've had the 922 for many years now, and it's time for something newer.
I only have 1 receiver in the house, and I use it in dual mode to watch different stuff on TV1 and 2.

thanks

Mark
I am contemplating upgrading from my 722 to a 922. You mention it's a disgrace. Why?
I read that the 922 has a "better" user interface and some additional functionality. I've had the 922 for many years now, and it's time for something newer.
I only have 1 receiver in the house, and I use it in dual mode to watch different stuff on TV1 and 2.

thanks

If you want a 922, you won't be able to get it from Dish. Dish has stopped offering the 922 to customers (new and existing) some time ago. It's still supported, but Dish isn't leasing or selling them,

Mark

thanks
Upgrade to the Hopper but you will need a Joey. Hopper is not a dual output receiver.

Upgrade to the Hopper but you will need a Joey. Hopper is not a dual output receiver.

I use TV1 strictly in the living room, and tv2 is split between kitchen and bedroom. So, would I need 2 Joey's? Or can one be used to split?
A co worker switched to the hopper, and he is royally dissapointed with something that turned out worse than what he had read. Something to do with having to view the same thing on the Joey as the hopper, or something like that.

You can split Joey outputs.

Hopper and Joey viewing is independent. You might ask him to clarify. We, via you, may be able to help him so he has a better H/J experience.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

The only time you would have to view the same program on multiple receivers is if you run out of tuners. How many Hoppers and Joeys/TV's does your friend have? If you have the right setup to match your viewing needs, the Hopper is great. If you constantly run into tuner conflicts then I can see how that would be frustrating, just the same as with any other Dish model or any other companies equipment as well.

If I was you, I would get a Hopper and 2 Joeys. You could get one Joey and split the AV signal to the kitchen and bedroom but if you end up viewing in both rooms at the same time you will be watching the same program.

thank you all. Here is his reply
Actually, the only thing I was not aware of, which might not be an issue for many people is that you can only attach 2 joeys to a single hopper unit so if you have three tv’s connected to that hopper and you are recording a show, only two tv’s can be watching a different channel and the third can only watch what is being recorded. That’s my only beef. The only time that doesn’t apply is if you are recording a single network channel such as CBS where it uses a different method that doesn’t interfere with the 2 joey limit.

As for me, at present I have 3 TV's, with a fourth coming to an exterior gazebo in a few months. I don't have need for too much independent viewing.
TV1 - living room
TV2 - kitchen sharing with TV3 - bedroom
One thing I love about the 722 is having the daughter be able to watch a recorded program whille another records. If the hoppers and joeys can do that, then I will be happy.

So. Would I have the hopper in the living room, and then a joey for TV2 and 3? And when I get the gazebo, another Joey? Doesn't each Joey have a cost?

You can attach 3 Joeys to a single Hopper, but I wouldn't do that. I have 2 HWS and 1 Joey, and will probably drop the Joey. They work together and I have 6 tuners.

"...The only time that doesn’t apply is if you are recording a single network channel such as CBS where it uses a different method that doesn’t interfere with the 2 joey limit...."

You are referring to PTAT, which records all 4 of the "major" networks using just a single tuner.

"...One thing I love about the 722 is having the daughter be able to watch a recorded program whille another records. If the hoppers and joeys can do that, then I will be happy...."

Yes, and you have 3 tuners instead of just 2.

You can attach 3 Joeys to a single Hopper, but I wouldn't do that. I have 2 HWS and 1 Joey, and will probably drop the Joey. They work together and I have 6 tuners.

"...The only time that doesn’t apply is if you are recording a single network channel such as CBS where it uses a different method that doesn’t interfere with the 2 joey limit...."

You are referring to PTAT, which records all 4 of the "major" networks using just a single tuner.

"...One thing I love about the 722 is having the daughter be able to watch a recorded program whille another records. If the hoppers and joeys can do that, then I will be happy...."

Yes, and you have 3 tuners instead of just 2.

Navy Chopper - what is an HWS? A hopper?
Does the PTAT thing happen automatically? I don't want to record the 3 major networks every night (actually, on any night...).

Hopper With Sling. It adds a built in Sling for remote viewing, wireless, more speed and memory, and the ability to transfer programs onto a tablet so you can watch it on a tablet even where there is no Internet service.

You have to turn PTAT on. I never have. BTW, PTAT is for prime time only.

Hopper issues

Upgrade My DISH service to HD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts