VIP922 - worth the upgrade from VIP722?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

krauser1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I have the opportunity to upgrade my current 722 w/sling adapter to a new 922 by renewing my contract with dish AND at no additional cost (besides the DVR fee going from $6 to $10).

I have been EXTREMELY happy with my 722 and the sling adapter is great. I know that the 922 has it built in so I won't be losing that cool feature. My question is, is there anyone out there that has upgraded from a 722 and is it worth it? Keeping in mind the only cost I would incur is the raise in DVR fee. No hardware cost or even install cost.

Any input is appreciated! :popcorn

I'm happy with mine, but I just got it for the pretty interface and the bigger hard drive. Plus free.

JBv said:
I'm happy with mine, but I just got it for the pretty interface and the bigger hard drive. Plus free.

Pretty much same for me. I'm not real big on the sling. Now if they would unlock our tablets, take it to the bank, I would watch tv in the van from install to install. Lol.

What about the remote? I use just an IR repeater system, so ultimately does it use the same codes as the 722? Accessing menu, dvr, etc. Any input on that?

Thanks all for the input. I will check out the other thread as well!

The inability to enter a manual timer on the receiver itself is a deal breaker for me.

I'm quite happy with my ViP722 units and a Sling adapter.

The inability to enter a manual timer on the receiver itself is a deal breaker for me.
Me too. Though, I'm curious what some other poster said about no "Dish Pass" either. What does that mean? How are global timers handled on the 922?

Even Scott recommends sticking with a 722 and Sling. If it aint broke, don't fix it. In your case the only reasons you would want to upgrade are the following:
1. additional OTA tuner (2) with the purchase of the MT2OTA module.
2. DLNA support
3. 3D support
4. Fancy UI with color channel logos and cover art tiles for TV shows on our DVR, etc.
5. Extended program info for many programs and movies.

What you will be losing with a 922:
1. No Manual Timers can be set at the 922 box; you may do so at DishOnLine.
2. No DishPass, to my knowledge.
3. Cannot re-name OTA labels (if this can be done on a 922, please let me know).
4. Easy navigation of UI: The 922 navigation is cumbersome as it was designed for a moue-pad and trigger remote that was abandoned for traditional remote that know makes it somewhat of a challenge to navigate compared to earlier ViP's, and NO number menu options to quickly get where you need to go.
5.Large characters and numbers: Ironically, for all that eye candy, the picture in guide/menu is significant smaller; the text is smaller (no way to set 1 1/2 hour guide, for example); when in the guide, the channel numbers on screen and channel ID are smaller; the logos could be larger; even the cover art tiles can be hard to read. In general all the characters are smaller, although in true HD, so more clear, but that really doesn't make-up for the small letters and numbers.

There are a few other irritants to the overall UI compared to the earlier ViP's that I can't recall now.

Overall, the 922 UI is good, but it is quite different from the previous ViP's and if your eyesight is good or you have a REALLY large screen, then you should be able to read the letters and numbers well enough. If text size easy to read is important, then the 922 isn't for you. All Dish really needs to do is provide and option for larger text and display, and they will have fixed half the negative experience. The other half is to make access to menus less cumbersome and a 922 would score a 100. I would indeed recommend a 922 for new subs (no legacy or easier to use ViP's) and those who would really appreciate the channel logos and cover art tiles. I'm glad Dish is going to make this the interface for the future because it is good, but just a bit to small or hard to read for many.

DishSubLA said:
Even Scott recommends sticking with a 722 and Sling. If it aint broke, don't fix it. In your case the only reasons you would want to upgrade are the following:
1. additional OTA tuner (2) with the purchase of the MT2OTA module.
2. DLNA support
3. 3D support
4. Fancy UI with color channel logos and cover art tiles for TV shows on our DVR, etc.
5. Extended program info for many programs and movies.

What you will be losing with a 922:
1. No Manual Timers can be set at the 922 box; you may do so at DishOnLine.
2. No DishPass, to my knowledge.
3. Cannot re-name OTA labels (if this can be done on a 922, please let me know).
4. Easy navigation of UI: The 922 navigation is cumbersome as it was designed for a moue-pad and trigger remote that was abandoned for traditional remote that know makes it somewhat of a challenge to navigate compared to earlier ViP's, and NO number menu options to quickly get where you need to go.
5.Large characters and numbers: Ironically, for all that eye candy, the picture in guide/menu is significant smaller; the text is smaller (no way to set 1 1/2 hour guide, for example); when in the guide, the channel numbers on screen and channel ID are smaller; the logos could be larger; even the cover art tiles can be hard to read. In general all the characters are smaller, although in true HD, so more clear, but that really doesn't make-up for the small letters and numbers.

There are a few other irritants to the overall UI compared to the earlier ViP's that I can't recall now.

Overall, the 922 UI is good, but it is quite different from the previous ViP's and if your eyesight is good or you have a REALLY large screen, then you should be able to read the letters and numbers well enough. If text size easy to read is important, then the 922 isn't for you. All Dish really needs to do is provide and option for larger text and display, and they will have fixed half the negative experience. The other half is to make access to menus less cumbersome and a 922 would score a 100. I would indeed recommend a 922 for new subs (no legacy or easier to use ViP's) and those who would really appreciate the channel logos and cover art tiles. I'm glad Dish is going to make this the interface for the future because it is good, but just a bit to small or hard to read for many.

DishsubLA - This is exactly what I was looking for.

1. No need for ota as all my locals are HD
2. DLNA - cool, but not worth the change. That goes back to the "if its not broke, don't fix it".
3. I don't care about 3D
4. If it comes down to UI coolness, 722 provides plenty.

I also want to point out that I did find out from Dish that the 922 remote is RF to the receiver. With that said, I can still use that remote to "maybe" control my home theater. I already have an RF remote upstairs. I'm not going to chance interference between the two. Not to mention I have and IR repeater system on the 722 with all my other equipment with a URC.

All in all, thanks for everyone's feedback. I'm sticking with ol faithful, my 722!

I have the 922 and the 722k.. I like the 922 ui better.. All the things mentioned above are true.. The other bad thing about the 922 is.. You can not view the EHD from sling and you can from the 722.

if you like to unplug your dvr 2-3 times a week & like a sack full of empty promises then the 922 is perfect. I can not wait till my 2 years are up (6 months to go) I am going back to Dtv and wash my hands of the whole mess.

if you like to unplug your dvr 2-3 times a week & like a sack full of empty promises then the 922 is perfect. I can not wait till my 2 years are up (6 months to go) I am going back to Dtv and wash my hands of the whole mess.

Why are you unplugging it 2-3 times a week? My 922 has been rock solid with no problems.

Why are you unplugging it 2-3 times a week? My 922 has been rock solid with no problems.

You are the exception not the rule!.... Just look at all the problems the 922 has had from the begining, and even as of today there "Cadillac" reciver dosent support BBMP... Dont even get me started on the Sling part!!!

I had initial issues with my 922, such as it locked up when i plugged the EHD from the 622 into it, it crashed when loading media from my network etc.... but when it comes to the satellite part and doing what its designed for primarily its been solid. One time it messed up the DVR listings and had some folders disappear until you exited and came back, but thats been all. I love it, the interface is great and its done everything i have asked so far. Sling is flakey but then so is my internet connection so i cant blame the DVR entirely!

You are the exception not the rule!.... Just look at all the problems the 922 has had from the begining, and even as of today there "Cadillac" reciver dosent support BBMP... Dont even get me started on the Sling part!!!

Sling has also been very good on my 922. It works great on my Android phone, and even better on my ipad 2..... Maybe you got a bad one???
Blockbuster support is coming in November. ( according to rumors in this forum;))

Sling has also been very good on my 922. It works great on my Android phone, and even better on my ipad 2..... Maybe you got a bad one???
Blockbuster support is coming in November. ( according to rumors in this forum;))

I'm on my second(in 5 months) and have been without the whole DRA and DO for over 2 weeks!!!!! I think you dont use yours, and dont follow, all its problems that have plagged it!!!!!!

I have the 922 and the 722k.. I like the 922 ui better.. All the things mentioned above are true.. The other bad thing about the 922 is.. You can not view the EHD from sling and you can from the 722.

Oh, that's interesting, and can really be a deal breaker for some people. That's gotta get fixed for the XiP's.

DishsubLA - This is exactly what I was looking for.

1. No need for ota as all my locals are HD
2. DLNA - cool, but not worth the change. That goes back to the "if its not broke, don't fix it".
3. I don't care about 3D
4. If it comes down to UI coolness, 722 provides plenty.

I also want to point out that I did find out from Dish that the 922 remote is RF to the receiver. With that said, I can still use that remote to "maybe" control my home theater. I already have an RF remote upstairs. I'm not going to chance interference between the two. Not to mention I have and IR repeater system on the 722 with all my other equipment with a URC.

All in all, thanks for everyone's feedback. I'm sticking with ol faithful, my 722!

And I will add that since the 922 is mom's, she is getting used to it, and I like the new UI of the 922. I feel it was a good upgrade and look forward to refinements (the text on the tiles AFTER you select a DVR recording that has the info displayed on the tile is HORRIBLY small-mini type; that should be addressed). However, as much as I do like the UI, after using it, I am NOT eager to exchange my 722/K. I'll wait for the XiP 813 to take that plunge. By then the power of the 813 will be worth it.

I'm on my second(in 5 months) and have been without the whole DRA and DO for over 2 weeks!!!!! I think you dont use yours, and dont follow, all its problems that have plagged it!!!!!!

Don't use it? I use it everyday. I don't use sling every day but, I use it often. I've had the 922 since spring. As I said before, it's been rock solid with no problems or issues. I'm not saying it's been great for everybody, but, it's been great for me. Just tonight, I was watching the Bear, Viking game on the ipad while the wife and kids were watching a different show on the TV. It worked perfect. I have used it this way all summer to watch Baseball while my wife watched her own show on the TV. The 922 is the best DVR on the market, IMHO!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)