Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
Unlimited 3G broadband for a laptop for just $40/month with no contracts - that caught my attention!

I currently have a $60 data plan with AT&T, which I use only from time to time mostly when traveling. I've got to have something like that for business purposes, as I can't always rely on Wi-Fi or Internet at hotels. It's been very dependable for me except for very few occasions and in some cases it was a real saver. However, paying $60/month for something that I use only several times a year is too expensive, so I started looking for alternatives, and I think I may have found one with Virgin Mobile.

So, I went ahead and purchased the Ovation MC760 USB device ($49.99). Virgin Mobile also offers a MiFi option ($149.99) for those interested - no use for me.

The USB device is small: no much bigger than a flash drive. No problem carrying it with me all the time, and it also doubles as a MicroSD card reader/flash drive.

The installation was simple and straightforward. It's all plug-and-play: no need for Internet connection (other than the one provided by this device itself) and no Installation CD to read.

During the activation you can provide a credit card, or you can buy pre-paid (Top-Up) cards at a local store and use them instead. Currently you have two options: you can buy 100 MB of traffic for 10 days ($10) or you can buy one month of unlimited Internet service ($40). And the best thing (for me anyway) is that I can buy it when I need it: no contracts! For example, if I am staying at a hotel with a very expensive (or very unreliable) Internet, I can buy the service right then and activate it within minutes.

The only catch I've noticed so far, is that the bandwidth is not as good as on AT&T, and from what I've read on the Internet, it's about 1/2 of what Sprint offers on its own data plans (Virgin Mobile uses Sprint's network). But I am currently measuring 1-1.2 Mbps down and .3-.4 Mbps up, which is ok for my purposes: I often get less than that on hotel Wi-Fi connections.

Anyway, I am going to try this Broadband2Go service for a couple of weeks and if it proves to be reliable enough, I am going to drop the AT&T data plan.

I had the USB stick and changed to the mifi with Virgin Mobile. I have to agree it is a great bargain for $40 when you want it. The MiFi lets all use with itouches and such.

I know that their "unlimited" is now 2.5GB, but I am really thinking about a MiFi Card (can get one used for $80 on Amazon) for all the meetings I have to travel to.

Anybody have their service? Satisfied with it? I would use it with a mbp and an iPad.

Yes, they reduce the speed to something like 256K if you go beyond 2.5 GB. Still usable if you just need to check your email or do some light browsing. The price is now $50, not $40. I do use them from time to time when on the road. Don't have MiFi though.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I am thinking of something like MiFi too, but I am waiting for a 4G version. ;)

I still use my Virgin Mobile MyFi device. I have used it 4 months in 2011. They still give me the $40 for 5GB rate, I guess I am grandfathered in on it even though I do not use it every month.

I have been considering using the AT&T one that is $50/month 5GB (4G/3G). I use it for business, so I have been considering it. For my current plans I will end up using the MyFi 6 months this year, so it might be better to just have it every month. Plus AT&T will let you add a month of international data when you need it.

So... my MiFi 2200 arrived. and the seller included all of the account information for the card, and basically told me if I keep the same account info, it would keep the $40/month 5GB plan. I was a little surprised, since his email, address, and contact info is still in on the site. I guess I just need to change the contact info and add either a CC or a Top Off card. Regardless, this looks pretty cool. It will be nice to have it on my trip this week.

Managed to change the account info, payment, and stay on the $40/5gb plan. Sweet. Won't use it every month bt it s nice to have.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

After looking at various options I decided to give T-Mobile a try. It's a little more expensive than Virgin Mobile: $50 for 3GB for 1 month (prepaid) but at least it's 4G! Getting up to 8Mbps down! They also have $10 and $30 options.
The mobile hotspot unit is $129 no-contract. Very reasonable price I think.
I will be on the road later this month will give it a good test.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys