Looking for a new mobile rig

jayn_j

Press On Regardless
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 29, 2003
Sheboygan, WI
I've been idle for several years now, but I volunteered for an activity that is going to require at the very least 2M capability. The only thing I currently have is a 2M handy-talkie with an external 40W amp. The antenna got lost in one of the moves.

I actually live close to AES, so I am thinking about a dual band mobile rig with antenna and mag mount. (I won't be in my car). Any suggestions for a solid rig that won't break the bank? I'd prefer to keep the bill under $500.

OK, that didn't draw any responses. My initial research is looking toward either the ICOM IC208H or the Kenwood TMV71A. Anyone have experience with either of these?

FWIW I decided I didn't really need 432 for what I was doing, and settled on a Yaseau FT-2900R. Liked the 75W, but the reall selling point for me was the crisp and clear audio.

I have Kenwood TM-D700 and TM-D710 radios in the mobiles with the GPS hookups. Lots of memories for traveling and don't get lost very easily as long as the APRS is running. Works great when storm chasing or doing ARES related stuff. They are in the $500 range so might be out of your budget though. Never had trouble with them though other than operator issues... :)
-C.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)