Vista 64bit trouble booting with USB KB

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Since I will be living away from home for about a month, I decided to take my best computer with me to edit work on and have discovered a nasty little bug that I wonder what causes it.

The computer at home was connected to a PS2 keyboard and mouse. While away I hooked up a USB KB and mouse. Simple right? Well, this system hangs at the first blue screen. I figured out that if I leave the KB and mouse disconnected at first, then plugin the KB and mouse just before the blue screen pops up, I can see that screen and then it goes to the text screen with the hard drives listed and then windows boot sequence without failure. Any idea why the USB KB is hanging this up? The KB does have a USB hub built in too and I have the mouse plugged into that hub on the KB. However, I did try it direct to the computer USB slot and it still caused the problem. If I connect just the Mouse to the USB on the computer and no KB, it will also booit fine so it's definitly the KB that is causing the hang up.

Right now, everything is fine except this annoying issue during reboot.

Is there a "legacy usb" setting in the BIOS? Which way is it set if so?
Do you have the latest bios for the box installed?

Last edited:
Or the driver for the keyboard is buggy. I would try legacy mode as LER suggested to have the BIOS make the keyboard look like a PS2 one to the OS.

I should have said, this is a Bella special keyboard. IT is designed for Sony Vegas Video editing. Yes, there is a driver for it and I now wonder if this is just another Vista 64 bit incompatibility issue. I will check out the Bella site and also follow up on your "legacy USB " suggestion.

I'll have to try it later as I'm doing a 5 hr rendering right now.

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

Since it is USB, and the computer does boot without it connected, can you try to plug it in AFTER Windows comes up to see if it will detect and install the driver?

Continued frustration on this. I finally got to a store and picked up a PS2 cheapo KB. Plugged it in and now all USB ports sense USB devices like expected. I can even run the USB Keyboard. The Bella site lists the KB as beta test driver for 64Bit Vista. So, I guess I got the one case that doesn't work.

Yeah just like with any hardware if your running anything in 64bit you always got to make sure they make 64bit drivers for that device. It wont matter if its XP 64bit or Vista 64bit you always must make sure that they make drivers for those devices. Most time they dont most manufactures have a small sections of devices they make 64bit drivers for due to its not used as much.

Yes, I understand the necessity for 64 bit driver and the company DOES have a 64 bit driver said to be "beta" Which I do have installed. The funny thing is, I can plug in the KB now with a PS2 KB in for boot and it works I just can't booty the machine with it as the only KB.

Tested another simple USB KB and it boots fine so the issue appears to be the Bella KB and the beta driver.
Procedure that works- Boot with PS2 KB and then plug in the Bella after Vista is running.

Why don't you set the stop options in the BIOS(sorry don't know the correct term) to ignore keyboard errors? That would get you past the issue.

You would need to break out a PS2 KB for working on the BIOS though.

Thanks John, I will need to look into that. In a Vista system what is the F key I press to get into the bios. I tried F8 but it didn't work. I had planned to look it up in HP's help FAQ on the web sometime.

common bios setup keys include F1, F2, F10, F12, DEL, any of which must be pressed before the OS begins loading.

Some machines only give you one chance after a power-on, a reboot won't get you there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)