Vista (lack of) success

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Article about how little Vista has penetrated the market. Personally, I plan to have all PCs and capable laptops shifted over to Windows 7 within 2 years. By the end of this year, the 3 or 4 most heavily used machines will be converted.

I just got the first 3 of 6 win7 upgrades. I upgraded my laptop last week, it works well. I still think win7 really should have been a service pack for vista though.

I just got the first 3 of 6 win7 upgrades. I upgraded my laptop last week, it works well. I still think win7 really should have been a service pack for vista though.

They had to get rid of the bad press around the Vista name.

Yeah. Those prices are obscene! Upgrade price for an XP machine, considering age and available resources- probably not worth it. Makes build your own quite pricey. For most machines at the office, it'll be straight prebuilt replacement.

I just had a briefing at work yesterday, and they said all of our 2100 computers are to be running Vista by the end of the year or no network connection will be allowed (excluding servers). Upgrading from XP to Vista has proven unstable - so a re-install is about the only option, what a pain - especially when I have to do about 40 of them myself. :(

I just had a briefing at work yesterday, and they said all of our 2100 computers are to be running Vista by the end of the year or no network connection will be allowed (excluding servers). Upgrading from XP to Vista has proven unstable - so a re-install is about the only option, what a pain - especially when I have to do about 40 of them myself. :(

You're moving work computers to Vista instead of W7? :confused:

Yeah. Those prices are obscene! Upgrade price for an XP machine, considering age and available resources- probably not worth it. Makes build your own quite pricey. For most machines at the office, it'll be straight prebuilt replacement.

My work machine was just upgraded. We contract IT out to CSC. The new machine has a Vista sticker on it, but was 'downgraded' to XP Pro-SP3. I suspect they will go to W7 in about 18 months if it proves to be stable.

True, clever how they managed to charge us to get rid of the bad name..
I'm sure someone has already brought it up, but "Hasta la vista, Vista..." :D

I think we find out tomorrow what our Win7 plans are. IT made the decision three years ago to skip on Vista original, and the now that Vista issues have settled down, it's too late. At some point the 32-bit Win2K3 servers will be replaced with 64-bit Win2K8 R2 servers. I just hope it's a real server and not a VM. Virtualization is great, but I think that a DC should still be implemented as physical hardware.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)