VISTA Not shutting down work-around?

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
Ever since I put a new Nividea 9600 card in my Q6600 my HP will not shut down. It just keeps rebooting and saying that it has recovered from an error. In addition M$'s updates keep getting caught in the same reboot scenario.

Just goofing around I found out that if I Log Off first and then Shut Down my computer shuts off within 10 seconds every time?:eureka

I do not know why this does this but it works every time!! I do not know about anyone else but I can not wait for Windows 7. I like Vista but it never acts the same way twice when I run it. I really liked XP but M$ not supporting the newer graphics mode on XP pushed me to a new computer that had Vista on it. I am living with Vista but the updates have really not done much for Vista. I hope Windows 7 is seriously more fleshed out before it hits the market.

I hope Windows 7 is seriously more fleshed out before it hits the market.

Don't count on it Joe. Microsoft has always been known for releasing crap and then fixing it after the first couple of service packs. Everybody loves XP now but I can remember it had some serious issues when it was released also.

Don't count on it Joe. Microsoft has always been known for releasing crap and then fixing it after the first couple of service packs. Everybody loves XP now but I can remember it had some serious issues when it was released also.

Everyone also knows that the even numbered MS releases have been losers and the odd numbered releases have been winners...

Ever since I put a new Nividea 9600 card in my Q6600 my HP will not shut down. It just keeps rebooting and saying that it has recovered from an error. In addition M$'s updates keep getting caught in the same reboot scenario.

Just goofing around I found out that if I Log Off first and then Shut Down my computer shuts off within 10 seconds every time?:eureka

I do not know why this does this but it works every time!! I do not know about anyone else but I can not wait for Windows 7. I like Vista but it never acts the same way twice when I run it. I really liked XP but M$ not supporting the newer graphics mode on XP pushed me to a new computer that had Vista on it. I am living with Vista but the updates have really not done much for Vista. I hope Windows 7 is seriously more fleshed out before it hits the market.

Have you tried making a shortcut that will do all of that for you?

If you right-click on the desktop and select NEW | Shortcut and then type in:

shutdown -l -r -t 00
This will log you off and restart the pc with no seconds of delay

shutdown -l -s -t 00
This will log you off and shutdown the pc with no seconds of delay

That's an L for the logoff and two zeros for the number of seconds.
See what that will do for you.

HP still writes some proprietary code for their equipment and if you use a driver not written specifically for an HP, you get all kinds of problems. It's not Vista as much as it is HP and Vista.

See if HP has their version of the driver for your video card.

Being the proud owner of an nvidia 8600 I have a few questions.

When you installed it did it replace an existing video card and if so did you completely remove the old cards software and drivers before installing the new one?

When you installed the new one did you allow vista to first install drivers for the card from the cd or allow vista to install drivers from the microsoft website?

I'd be leary of windows 7 considering that ms was talking about it right after releasing vista, 7 sounds like windows me potentialy.

Being the proud owner of an nvidia 8600 I have a few questions.

When you installed it did it replace an existing video card and if so did you completely remove the old cards software and drivers before installing the new one?

When you installed the new one did you allow vista to first install drivers for the card from the cd or allow vista to install drivers from the microsoft website?

I first dumped the old drivers, then changed out the video boards, then installed the 9600 and loaded new drivers. Since I first installed the board I have upgraded the drivers twice including using the new ones from M$ last month. My PC still will not shut down without logging off first. Then it will shut down within seconds.

I'm done with Vista. I have 4GB (3.3 showing in Vista) and just sitting idle it would take 1/3 of that, and overtime would creep up over 60%. I switched to a Mac and am running XP in a VMware Fusion machine for those instances that I would need Windows.

Thats an odd issue Neutron but I dont think its a vista issue or have you run one of the memory programs to see where the memory is going? Anti virus will leach memory like that and I had the same problem with spybot on an xp build. Guess that Im just lucky to have a flawless vista experience but I havent had any of these problems that others seem to be having.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)