You can never have enough space

DOes anyone else remember when 1GB was a lot of hard drive space?
I remember one day talking with a co-worker who said he was buying a new Gateway with a 900MB hard disk and thinking Good Lord Man! What will you ever fill that space with?

Of course, there was the day we added in the 10MB hard disk into our 512KB dual 5.25" floppy drive IBM and the boss was hovering because he thought I would short out the whole machine by opening it up to do the installation.

I remember when 3.5" 1.44MB floppies were considered a lot of storage space...then again, I remember when Bill Gates said nobody would ever need more than 640KB of ram.:rolleyes:

I had my copy of PC-Tools on a 3.5"...

That 640KB barrier Bill programmed to bit Intel when they released the 80186 processor.

DOes anyone else remember when 1GB was a lot of hard drive space?
Hell I remember my original Cad workstation (around 1985) was an IBM PS2 (286) with a 20mb HDD.:p and as I remember ram was upwards of $100 per MB and a super-VGA graphics card was about $1500.00. Of course the only real discussion boards where on CompuServe too.:D

Those DOS games were fun! My first games had to be loaded from a cassette tape...

I loved some of those old Dos games, especially the Apogee arcade type. In fact some of my kids still play games like the Monster Bash & Duke Nukem trilogies, Crystal Caves, Bio Menace; and relatively recently, all the Tombraider games

Now does anyone remember "Magic Candle"?

My first computer ('82) used an 8085 8 bit cpu, 1 KB Ram and I converted an assembler from a paperback book. It saved to cassette tapes. My first business PC ran MS-Dos 2.11 and 3Com NOS from a single sided, 160 KB 5.25" floppy in 320 KB RAM. The workstations on the network had 128 KB RAM. We used MS Word and Multiplan cuz they were free with the PCs. Mass storage was a 40 MB HD with an 80 MB tape drive. We were in tall cotton! :)

Those DOS games were fun! My first games had to be loaded from a cassette tape...

I loved some of those old Dos games, especially the Apogee arcade type. In fact some of my kids still play games like the Monster Bash & Duke Nukem trilogies, Crystal Caves, Bio Menace; and relatively recently, all the Tombraider games

Now does anyone remember "Magic Candle"?

Doom, Duke Nukem and the first Quake game were my favorites.

Ah, the good old days. TRSDOS, now there was a real operating system, for real computers with between 16K and 128K of RAM and single sided 5.25 drives. None of that graphical point and click nonsense.

Did I mention it supported a 300 baud modem too?

Hell I remember my original Cad workstation (around 1985) was an IBM PS2 (286) with a 20mb HDD.:p and as I remember ram was upwards of $100 per MB and a super-VGA graphics card was about $1500.00. Of course the only real discussion boards where on CompuServe too.:D

I've been working with computers since a TRS-80 in the summer of 1978 where a cassette was mass storage.

I used 1GB as a number we can all relate to ;)

Ah, the good old days. TRSDOS, now there was a real operating system, for real computers with between 16K and 128K of RAM and single sided 5.25 drives. None of that graphical point and click nonsense.

Did I mention it supported a 300 baud modem too?

I did an internet install for a customer the other day that still had one of these systems, and still used it!!! :eek:

She said she did all of her farm book keeping on the TRS80, because she couldn't stand Quicken.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)