You can never have enough space

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I remember paying $399 for a 16 KByte Static RAM PC-100 card for my Northstar Horizon. Of course, the Horizon ended up costing my close to $5,000 in late 1970s money. It still boots if I bother to power it up. Since it weighs close to 50 lb (switching power supply? What's that?) it doesn't move out of the basement.
NorthStarHorizon_Ad1.jpg

That's my first computer. Wrote a VT52 emulator in Z80 assembler for it and a simple X-wing fighter game, too, after I designed and built a four-channel A/D board. Makes me wonder if I still have the disks buried down there some place...

My very first computer

ti-994a.jpg

Helped that my dad worked at TI in the late 70's/early 80's (Still works there to this day).

The first computer I worked on had a 32k hard drive. Yes, 32k! It was in a 19" rack and was about 7" high. This was about 1974.

One of my computer professors in college talked about working on a machine with no RAM at all--there were only ALU registers (16 I think), and a drum (precursor to a disk). Part of the instruction field was the address of the next instruction on the drum; they manually computed how far the drum would turn while an instruction was executing, then tried to figure out how to optimize the program--you didn't want to have to wait for the drum to make another complete rotation to be able to execute the next instruction! I believe that this was in the late 1950s to early 1960s.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts