You can never have enough space

I remember paying $399 for a 16 KByte Static RAM PC-100 card for my Northstar Horizon. Of course, the Horizon ended up costing my close to $5,000 in late 1970s money. It still boots if I bother to power it up. Since it weighs close to 50 lb (switching power supply? What's that?) it doesn't move out of the basement.
NorthStarHorizon_Ad1.jpg

That's my first computer. Wrote a VT52 emulator in Z80 assembler for it and a simple X-wing fighter game, too, after I designed and built a four-channel A/D board. Makes me wonder if I still have the disks buried down there some place...

My very first computer

ti-994a.jpg

Helped that my dad worked at TI in the late 70's/early 80's (Still works there to this day).

The first computer I worked on had a 32k hard drive. Yes, 32k! It was in a 19" rack and was about 7" high. This was about 1974.

One of my computer professors in college talked about working on a machine with no RAM at all--there were only ALU registers (16 I think), and a drum (precursor to a disk). Part of the instruction field was the address of the next instruction on the drum; they manually computed how far the drum would turn while an instruction was executing, then tried to figure out how to optimize the program--you didn't want to have to wait for the drum to make another complete rotation to be able to execute the next instruction! I believe that this was in the late 1950s to early 1960s.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts