Vista SP2 Spooling Now

TNGTony

Unashamed Bengal Fan
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Vista SP2 is now spooling via automatic update. I just got it today and installed it. It seems to be stable. I haven't noticed any improvement or detriment so far. Of course I never really had a whole lot of problems with Vista other than the obvious bloatware.

Is there any new info on what this SP did beyond the official features quoted below?

Adds Windows Search 4.0 for faster and improved relevancy in searches.
Contains the Bluetooth® 2.1 Feature Pack supporting the most recent specification for Bluetooth Technology.
Ability to record data on to Blu-Ray™ media natively in Windows Vista.
Adds Windows Connect Now (WCN) to simplify Wi-Fi Configuration.
Enables the exFAT file system to support Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) timestamps, which allows correct file synchronization across time zones.
Adds support for new 64-bit CPUs from VIA Technologies.
Improves performance for Wi-Fi connection after resuming from sleep mode.
Adds new capabilities to DirectX, and increasing reliability. The graphics experience will be greatly improved for gamers.
Improves audio and video performance for streaming high-definition content.
Improves Windows Media Center (WMC) in content protection for TV.

See ya
Tony

I honestly don't see any difference with 7 except in a smaller resource use, outside of that its no different than vista home premium to me.

These are the 2 improvements I was waiting for:

Adds Windows Connect Now (WCN) to simplify Wi-Fi Configuration.
Improves performance for Wi-Fi connection after resuming from sleep mode.

I recently upgraded my HD on my Dell XPS1210 to a 320 7200RPM and it is much better on startup time. I bought two of these drives and planned on loading Vista 64bit since my processor is an x64 capable.
NOW, I have switched plans with all the glowing reports and have decided to do the Windows7 route and am presently downloading the 64 bit version. My concern is that some of my older 16 bit apps I have working fine on xp may not work. Not sure because a feature they have in the 64bit win7 RC is XP mode that is specifically added to enable older applications that don't run under 64 bit to work. Have any of you tried this with win 7 RC yet?
Specifically, I have the old cardfile which is a 16 bit software and it won't run under Vista so maybe it will under win7????

Scott- have you tried win7 on your Macbook Pro? I was thinking of replacing my version of XP on the Macbook Pro with win7 as well. ( Note-Need Parallels to do this) My Macbook Pro only has 2Gb of ram though and my Dell 1210 has 4gb.

I have Win7 installed on one machine and it really is a pretty good OS. The only problem is it doesn't run Age Of Empires correctly and I can't do without my favorite game of all time!!:D:D

My concern is that some of my older 16 bit apps I have working fine on xp may not work. Not sure because a feature they have in the 64bit win7 RC is XP mode that is specifically added to enable older applications that don't run under 64 bit to work. Have any of you tried this with win 7 RC yet?
Specifically, I have the old cardfile which is a 16 bit software and it won't run under Vista so maybe it will under win7????
It's slow to startup, but it works. Basically you end up with a 32-bit Windows XP, and anything you install in it gets an icon in the Windows 7 start menu. The applications run seamlessly meaning you get just the application window, not the entire XP desktop. The virtual machine will exist from startup of the first application until you close the last one.

You have to have virtualization enabled in BIOS for it to work at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)