VLC Media Player for Satellite?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lone Cloud

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2008
This VLC Media Player seems at once free, self contained and stable. Although I see internet comments on various sites about using it for satellite reception, nothing specific on a real "how to".

I have DVBviewer Pro and it has its issues. It crashes, and of late it's been blinking btween full and half screen - something the VLC player doesn't do.

Any VLC users out there who can elaborate on how they set it up for FTA? Additional codecs? Channel lists?

The VLC player seems hard to beat. It looks from its menu that satellite reception is contemplated. I think it would be helpful if a generous member got the rest of us going with satellite on it.

VLC and QQ Box

This VLC Media Player seems at once free, self contained and stable. Although I see internet comments on various sites about using it for satellite reception, nothing specific on a real "how to".

I have DVBviewer Pro and it has its issues. It crashes, and of late it's been blinking btween full and half screen - something the VLC player doesn't do.

Any VLC users out there who can elaborate on how they set it up for FTA? Additional codecs? Channel lists?

The VLC player seems hard to beat. It looks from its menu that satellite reception is contemplated. I think it would be helpful if a generous member got the rest of us going with satellite on it.

If I got the satellite signal working in DVBDream, then closed it and opened VLC it worked fine. It sees the ts and plays it. But I never got it setup with inputing sat. and tp parameters.

If I got the satellite signal working in DVBDream, then closed it and opened VLC it worked fine. It sees the ts and plays it. But I never got it setup with inputing sat. and tp parameters.

I didn't get as far as you did. I tried to enter the transponder stuff in but nothing. Your method sounds roundabout, but at least it works

I use my demux app to save the stream to a file, then play it with vlc. others use dvbstream or tsreader to stream the mux to vlc. You can also use a dreambox to stream it to vlc.

I use VLC on ubuntu. I love it because it plays everything. I use dvbstream to tune the transponder and then VLC to watch the multicast stream. This allows me to watch the stream on any PC on my LAN - all Linux and one Hackintosh.

TVBOXSPY

Member Tvboxspy has done this. Join the last page of the QQ Box thread and add your above request to the thread.

Just to be clear here, the original poster was running a widows program and streaming to VLC. I'm not sure the windows version has all the features of the linux version. There are VLC command line parameters to tune a DVB-S receiver in the linux version.

You may want to see if your distribution has a repository for VLC.

I think that the best way to use VLC in Windows is to get the $99 version of TSREADER. TSREADER will tune the transponders, and will automatically call VLC when you tell it to play a channel (once you tell it where the VLC program is located on your computer). Also, if you don't tell it to control VLC, you can also use the same PLAY function to stream to other network devices like ROKU, PopCornHour or with a bit more difficulty even an Azbox.
The free version of TSREADER will only play for 1 minute I think, but TSREADER is such a powerful program that I think it is well worth the $99.

simple from dvb dream... edit ur ini file for sats, then tell dvbdream to open vlc... as for ur application i have no idea... u can also stream the channels to other pcs in ur network (or others networks)

The free version of TSREADER will only play for 1 minute I think, but TSREADER is such a powerful program that I think it is well worth the $99.
Yes TS Reader is an excellent program and worth the $99! I just wish he would update it.

simple from dvb dream... edit ur ini file for sats, then tell dvbdream to open vlc... as for ur application i have no idea... u can also stream the channels to other pcs in ur network (or others networks)
For someone knowledgeable, your instruction could be fine, but for the non informed it only creates confusion. What lines or instructions do you have to add to the *.ini files to achieve your suggestions. Give some details. It helps a lot.

ok... dvb dream under tools select vlc (or mpc)... ill find the sat ini file a bit later... then give examples how to edit it

btw when setting up dvbdream be sure to select ts files... u can use some amazing free tools to edit the files... dvdflick & imgburn to name a few

I'm using VLC with Transedit.

Open Transedit
Analyze the signal
Select the service you wish to view
Instead of hitting preview, do the following:
Open VLC
Under Media select Open Capture Device
Change Capture Mode to DVB Directshow
Set DVB Type as DVB-S
Input Transponder/Multiplex frequency
Input Transponder Symbol Rate
Hit Play

Open Transedit
Analyze the signal
Open VLC
Set DVB Type as DVB-S
Hit Play

After playing with VLC a little more, I found that you don't have to input the frequency and symbol rate.

After playing with VLC a little more, I found that you don't have to input the frequency and symbol rate.

Thanks man. I am definitely going to try that as soon as I get my system back up and running. My theater screen is motorized and it just blew out, so the screen goes all the way to the floor and won't retract. I am working on a fix now - will try in a couple of days.

Thanks again for figuring it out.

Open Transedit
Analyze the signal
Open VLC
Set DVB Type as DVB-S
Hit Play

I do the same as photoman76 but use sichboPVR instead of Transedit. Good software check it out. :up

SichboPVR - Free DVB-S/C/T and ATSC dvr software for Windows

Last edited:
I looked at the directions by Photoman, and as much as I would like this to work, mine doesn't. I just sent a post complete with screen shots, but it timed out and I lost everything..

Here's my main question. When you open transedit and analyze...then open VLC and capture it. Where is VLC getting it's info from transdit. Where does it find out what card it's using, transponder, FEC etc? Mine just errors out with some useless string and tells me to check the log..wherever that is..

Anyway would really like to help, because I think mine cannot find the link between the two programs.

Thanks

BigBoyDale aka GeeZer

Yes TS Reader is an excellent program and worth the $99! I just wish he would update it.

It did seem like a long time between updates. I think there have only been about 3 updates in the past year that I've noticed, but I may have missed some because sometimes he doesn't change the file name, he just indicates the date it was updated. For example, the most recent update was just about a week ago or so, but it seems to have the same file name as one I downloaded in July.
It also seems like he added 2 or 3 months to my license expiration date. Not sure if that was by accident or if he did it for everyone because he hasn't done many updates?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)