VMC cancellation fee

andrewdoe

Oct 17, 2004
I had Dish but switched to DirectTV. I did this 4 months ago. I just got a letter from VMC stating I owe $290 since I didn't last a year!!! I remember asking them when I signed up and when they installed it, and when I called to cancel!!! Did I miss something? I haven't called VMC yet, I will be asking for a copy of the agreement before they get my $$$. Thanks.

charper1

Bourbon Tester
Supporting Founder
May 18, 2004
I'm Nationwide
I have a few friends that used VMC when there was a promo code going around for no minimum contract for E* or VMC. Even verbally cleared that via VMC reps with names and employee ID#'s. Thhey ended E* after 6 - 9 mos and VMC still threatend to charge. These guys are shady.

Claude Greiner

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Detroit - The Paris of the Midwest
Read this page on VMC's website...

http://www.vmcsatellite.com/channels/terms.cfm

They really don't have a leg to stand on, the only problem is that most people end up paying it since they have good credit and they do not want it to appear on their credit report.

Id really like to know how they come up with the $290 figure since the chargeback period for a certificate is 180 days, in addition the most Echostar should chargeback VMC in the case of early termination is $50

andrewdoe

Oct 17, 2004
The card is history. Fortunately. Thanks for all the help. I will be letting them know I won't pay it.

I read that page, so does this mean if Dish says I woe nothing then they should have the final word?

andrewdoe

Oct 17, 2004
I JUST TALKED TO DISH AND THEY SAY I OWE NO EARLY TERM. FEE!!!

VMC's site says "we hereby represent that DISH Network shall be the sole determining party as to what any consumer is entitled to under DISH Network's promotions".

Well looks to me like I'm fine.

charper1

Bourbon Tester
Supporting Founder
May 18, 2004
I'm Nationwide
that may be true but be very ready for collection letters and them reporting to your credit; right or wrong. it will be their tactic.

Claude Greiner

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Detroit - The Paris of the Midwest
charper1 said:
that may be true but be very ready for collection letters and them reporting to your credit; right or wrong. it will be their tactic.

As a retailer I do the same exact thing when I have a contract with a customer and they do not hold up their side of the deal. The only difference between me and VMC is that when I collect from a customer I have a signed contract!

When its turned over to collections they really don't care if you sign anything or not or if you don't agree with the charges, they are simply out to collect their money. If your credit is good, they will blackmail you into paying by threating to screw up your credit over this and showing it as a chargeoff. If you have bad credit, there is nouthing they can really do because chances are that you don't care !

andrewdoe

Oct 17, 2004
would a letter from my lawyer help? to the affect that they need to resolve it or justify it prior to them sending a letter to collections?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts