VNC and dish peaking

Status
Please reply by conversation.

colbec

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
Eastern Ontario, Canada
Back in the mists of time on satelliteguys there were some suggestions that using VNC (virtual network computing) could help a person tune a dish to a satellite. The idea is to set up a computer with a TV card to act as a VNC server and snoop on it with a VNC client laptop at the dish using a wireless connection. Sounds perfect.

However I tried this and came up with a screen except that the video window was black. Reading indicates that this is because this portion of the video is sent directly to the display, and VNC can't display what it does not get to see. I tried capture mode and same thing.

Alternatives appear to be setting up a webcam to broadcast, or use a dvb-s card that is able to broadcast a signal (mine died so I can't test that option).

I just wondered if anybody has found a way to get VNC to help tune a dish?

(I'm using a Coolsat 6000 to feed into a computer with an ATI all in wonder card.)

geesh, that just seems like alot of work. why not just take the 6000 out to the dish and buy a little TV (I got a 7inch at CC for $20) and tune it that way? I even got a use fortec on ebay cheap for my aiming setup and I leave my main receivers in the rack.

But back to your question, isn't there a app that can view the video feed on the desktop?

I use a laptop at the dish with a cheap USB TV tuner and the receiver out at the dish.

It works great :).

I also have a USB DVB box - these REALLY suck to aim a dish with.

Attachments

• cs6k_testrig.jpg
    cs6k_testrig.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 176
I guess the ideal solution for any given user really depends on the capital equipment available. Those who have a spare receiver, TV display, 300 foot extension cord, spare car battery with 500W inverter, plus the shelter to keep it all dry are in a very 'rich' position. Others are just trying to be resourceful in adapting what they have.

Perhaps there are some cards that will allow you to force the video though the frame buffer, I don't know.

I'm just trying to explore options.

For me the big problem was that you can't run the receiver with a remote display. You still had to run back and forth.

When I was tuning my 4DTV it wasn't' so bad since I had a UHF remote. I made up a stupid-long RG-6 cable and connected it to my USB TV tuner and the RF channel 4 output of the 4DTV. This worked great.

For DVB I need / want to be able to change transponders so I needed to see the display and control the box. This either meant bringing the receiver outside or investing in some elaborate IR repeater setup.

Since you already have the laptop, a cheap USB tuner ($30 or so) and an extension cord would work wonders for you.

If you really want to try the web-cam... have you tried Windows XP Remote desktop with the quality turned up all the way? I'm all but sure I've been able to watch remote video but it was laggy.

I understand where you are coming from Colbec, we were just offering other ideas that are pretty easy, but may require a little cash outlay, you could get away with a spare little B/W Tv and a extension cord for under $50 (not sure on canadian $ though). But I don't blame ya for not wanting to spend it.

Even if you do get the app to display the video on screen and not output to the tv, I would question VNC's ability to handle it in a timely manner. Your idea of the webcam honestly sounds like the easiest solution for you but you said yours died. Maybe the best (cheapest) solution for you would just be to have a friend watch the tv while you peak the dish and use your telephone and a cell phone (assuming of you has one)

Btw, I think my little FTA alignment kit (TV, Reciever, ext cord) cost me about $75 bucks total and it was worth it in time and frustrations.

I have a couple PC's with tuner cards, and use VNC all the time to tune one of them as it doesn't even have a monitor connected. I can see video just fine. This sounds like an issue with your renderer. I think I'm using VMR9, and have seen problems with overlay. I think when using overlay, you'll only see video on your primary monitor.

As for outdoor tuning, I just run an extension cord and take a receiver and small TV to the dish and hook directly to it. It works great and eliminates switch and cabling issues. The neighbors might think you're weird sitting on your roof or in the middle of your yard watching TV, but hey just put on your Satellite Guys shirt and go for it.

Thanks, Iammike, agreed that rendering is the issue. My video is written direct to the primary video card bypassing the frame buffer. There does not seem to be an option to write the video indirectly given the software I have right now. However I have not given up, there may be other ways of displaying the video which can go through the frame buffer and become available to VNC. I figure a frame rate of only 5/second would be quite adequate to display the meter if available.

Since my 103G died I am not able to check whether the tuning video passes through the frame buffer, I think it will and this will be a method of using VNC. I don't intend to spend any more time on 103G cards, perhaps a skystar 2 in the future sometime.

The last time I purchased a long extension cord it was over $1 per foot; they are good to have but by the time I get such a beast I might just as well have gone with the fancy meter. A suitably beefy inverter with lead acid battery is a viable alternative power supply.

$1 per foot? Dang, what you buying 8 guage wire?
At lowes
I got a 100foot 14/3 for like $13.
75 foot of 12/3 for $18

Success - proof of concept anyway

Here's what I did for anyone that is interested:

VirtualDub 1.6.17
File... Capture AVI...
Video... Preview mode...

Adjust settings for frame rate etc, 5 f/s does not seem too bad.

Once I get more than 100 feet from the house however the signal dies on me. That, however, is a separate issue.

Attachments

• screen1.png
    screen1.png
    45.7 KB · Views: 132
Colbec, that's an interesting solution to your problem. Glad you got it working. Incidentally, Satkinzo's right about extension cords. A 100 footer goes for $12.97 at Lowes.

Mike

I don't think you will find a $12.97 100ft extention cord in Canada. Even at twice that. Canadian Tire has a 50' extention cord for $24.99,
Canadian Tire
I use an extention cord and move the receiver and small tv next to the dish. I also run a piece of old coax from in the house to the receiver. It gives instant results when peaking the dish. You will find other uses for the extention cord.... say vacuuming out the car or when using tools in the yard.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts