VOD in 1080P60????

I don't believe there is ANY source material done at 1080p60 available to the consumer via OTA, cable or sat.

Yes, some HDTVs display in 1080p60. That doesn't mean the source was 60p. No additional information on screen, just interpolation.

Then unfortunately you got taken when you bought the set.

I didn't buy it for that as a priority. So how could I have been 'taken'?

The difference between 1080p and the next closest settings aren't really noticeable in my setup (distance, inputs, frequency of use). I don't own any blu-ray or HD-DVD, and don't want to pay for 1080p VOD. I use 1080i or 720p and it looks great.

I didn't buy it for that as a priority. So how could I have been 'taken'?

The difference between 1080p and the next closest settings aren't really noticeable in my setup (distance, inputs, frequency of use). I don't own any blu-ray or HD-DVD, and don't want to pay for 1080p VOD. I use 1080i or 720p and it looks great.

Then I break even a +1 & -1. If you don't have B-R disc or play VOD and 1080i or 720p are good then why do you care?

I agree downloading in anything other than original resolution would be a waste of bandwith. Perhaps the receivers can take the 1080p/24 and output as 1080p/60 just like blu-ray players and computers.

While it was iffy in the past, if you buy a tv now that does not do 1080p/24 and process in multiples (LCD 120hz or 96hz Plasma), then you are not experiencing Film in a proper way. I just sold my Plasma (accepted 1080p/24 but performed 2:3 pulldown) for a 240hz Regza, and main does Film look good.

Why the confusion? He said 1080p60 would be pointless waste of bandwidth, but some (like me) can only view 1080p via 60hz, so it wouldn't be pointless - because it could be utilized for them.

On another note: A better option would be to have the receiver be able to output 1080p60 from a 1080p24 broadcast, even if it included filling in the extra frames.

While it was iffy in the past, if you buy a tv now that does not do 1080p/24 and process in multiples (LCD 120hz or 96hz Plasma), then you are not experiencing Film in a proper way. I just sold my Plasma (accepted 1080p/24 but performed 2:3 pulldown) for a 240hz Regza, and main does Film look good.

You have to turn OFF all of the picture interpolation features (Auto-Motion Plus, MotionFlow, whatever the maker calls it) to experience film the "proper way". That is, you should not be seeing smooth motion, but the stutter of a 24fps source, like in a movie theater.

I hate that. I don't care about "film look". Real-life isn't 24fps, so I'd rather my TV synthesize a bunch of intermediate frames to give me smooth motion. I love clay-face, and I love frame interpolation. Only once in a while do I see weird results, like when panning on a background containing a repeated geometric pattern.

Call me a phillistine. I don't care. I love smooth motion.

You have to turn OFF all of the picture interpolation features (Auto-Motion Plus, MotionFlow, whatever the maker calls it) to experience film the "proper way". That is, you should not be seeing smooth motion, but the stutter of a 24fps source, like in a movie theater.

I hate that. I don't care about "film look". Real-life isn't 24fps, so I'd rather my TV synthesize a bunch of intermediate frames to give me smooth motion. I love clay-face, and I love frame interpolation. Only once in a while do I see weird results, like when panning on a background containing a repeated geometric pattern.

Call me a phillistine. I don't care. I love smooth motion.

Clay face???

I don't care for smooth motion on a movie--it looks like a soap opera (hence the name "soap opera effect") shot on video. To each his own.

Football OTOH really benefits from motion smoothing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)