Volume control with VIP612

TheKrell

A mighty and noble race originating on Altair IV.
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
I have a VIP612 connected to a Westinghouse 24" computer monitor via HDMI. The Westinghouse has no remote control, and one must change the volume with the buttons on the side. Is there any way to make the VIP612 change it's output audio volume, either via HDMI or any other output such as component?

How about a VIP722?

Yeah but not any dish receiver in the last few years. Does it not come with a remote period or you don't have it?

This monitor has no remote control of any kind whatsoever. It's an L2410NM.

in response to the OPs question, no there is no way to do this with the 612.

My sister still uses a 2700, there is no volume control on the receiver.
So if you press Menu-6-7 you will not see this screen?
attachment.php

change it to DISH remote volume control and the receiver will control output volume. The DP111 had this feature as well.

Attachments

• systemsetup-volumecontrol.jpg
    systemsetup-volumecontrol.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 265
Well well, I didn't know that about the 111. I have one of those, unfortunately with a high balance. I also have a 4900 which IIRC has a volume control of it's own. And while we're thinking SD, I have a DTVpal that also has it's own volume control, shipped at only 50% of max.

Of course none of these are HD. :( Given the proliferation of monitors with HDMI inputs and internal speakers, it sure would be nice if these HD receives had their own volume control. The situation is similar to the good ol' days of SD TVs without remotes.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the ViP612 will not have that sexy menu. That teal/green/slime color gives me sweet memories of my Dish 1000 (E*'s first ever receiver, not the sat dish). The 1000 receiver also had its own volume control (you didn't even have the option to use the tv's volume control).

The only thing you can do is run the sound though an amp/receiver or surround system. Then use the remote to that to control the volume.

Hope that helps!
-Scott

Hmmm. Now there's an idea. The monitor allows me to switch it's audio input from HDMI to the aux-in port currently occupied by the PC's line-out. If I ran the VIP612's audio jacks to the PC line-in, and attach an IR receiver to the PC, is there some program I could run which would pay attention to the Dish IR remote's volume control?

The PC is currently running XP Pro. I even have a serial-port IR receiver not currently in use.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)