volume on locals suddenly very low

Javaman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
CT, USA
Suddenly in the past couple of weeks a handful of my local channels have dropped real low in volume. I have to crank the volume way past a level I've used before and then if I change channels it becomes deafening. Does DISH have a contact email about these sorts of things or do I have to get on the phone with them for this? Thanks.

The this just came up last night when we had the TBS playoff game on and the TV's tuner for local HD football was unbelievably louder. We couldn't turn up the TV enough for TBS and then switching to the TV tuner Fox HD broadcast nearly blew our ears off

By the way the connection audio to the TV was HMDI.

I am having this same problem. Can anyone comment on this, it is enough to make me jump ship as I watch many hours of TV after work, and everyone else is a sleep. Changing channels can blow them out of bed!

I don't have dish locals but I did notice a scroll tonight on KNXV saying Dish and Directv are having audio problems caused be equipment changes made in preparation for the DTV transition and then it listed the numbers for both. The message did not describe the problems but maybe its related.

My sat TBS volume verses OTA HD via TV tuner has gotten much better. Note: both signals are HD - Dolby Digital sound so they should have been comparable.

I received an email reply to my problem (low audio on locals and audio dropouts) and it confirmed what kb7 said. Here is the text,

"We are aware of the audio levels on your locals. This item has made what we call the Hit List. This means that we are meeting daily on the issue. Your locals have been converted to digital. We are using new equipment. We realize your issue may have to do with this equipment. The engineers were working on it again today. The digital conversions are new for both us and the provider. It may take sometime for the locals stations and their providers to work out the kinks."

In addition to the audio problems I mentioned the periodic video freeze that occurs every now and then. Here is their response to that.

"As for the freezing on your 522, we have a few other complaints for this issue on the 522 and 625 receivers. We are going to add your email to the bundle that we planning on taking to the receiver team soon, so good timing on your part!"

Some of my locals have improved but a couple are still very low and the audio dropouts happened again Friday night. Here's hoping they get it sorted in the next week or so.

I tried contacting Dish and got this reply back and this person didn't seem to know anything about this being a previously existing problem:

Thank you for your email. We apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused. DISH Network does not have control or the right to change the volume on broadcasts as the programming stream is sent directly from our providers (NBC, CBS, ABC, etc.). We understand the situation and apologize for the inconvenience this causes.

Heavy sigh!!

I contacted dish about low volume on the New Orleans locals. Here is what i got back.
FW: Low volume on New Orleans sd locals

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 1:48 PM
To: dpapaleojr

Dear Mr. Papaleo,
Thank you for expressing your concerns and interest in DISH Network. Customer input is an important tool in our efforts to continuously improve the quality of the DISH Network service.
I have forwarded this information to our engineering department. We are currently looking into the problem. Please be patient with us and I will get you answers as soon as possible. Hopefully this will be an easy fix and we can get this resolved quickly. If you have not noticed a difference within about a week please let us know so that I may revisit the issue.
We appreciate the time DISH Network customers take to email their audio/video quality concerns. Thank you for your patience and for being a valued customer.

EchoStar Broadcasting Corporation
Quality Assurance Department
dishquality@echostar.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts