Volume Two, Show Ten

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
Have you been turbo charged yet? As the summer festival season and the entire country heats up with over 100 degree temperatures, so does the HD race from Dish Network and Directv. This week both companies have “turbo charged” their lineups and Scott and Bob are in the studio sweating it out as we cover all the turbo charging going on from both Directv and Dish Network. We close out this week’s show with some eastern arch news, and an honest opinion about the future of Dish as well as future expectations from Monday’s conference call. Like what you hear? Vote for us over at podcast alley so others can enjoy the satelliteguys.us podcast experience. Until next week, we will see ya real soon!
Dial Up users click here for your real audio experance.

Attachments

• satguys080308.mp3
    8 MB · Views: 1,427
Great show guys!!

Maybe that was Charlie on the hot line wanting to tell you he was saving all of us money by yanking channels off of the air to get a better deal.

I agree Scott. That is getting old!!!

Great show!

Finally someone is calling out E* on their, "we're trying to save you money" lie.

Great stuff!!!

I said all this yanking of the channels was getting old after the Lifetime dispute in 2006...yet, here we are reliving the sames issue with VOOM and GolTV being the latest iterations of, "Dish Network loves you...we're trying to save you money" crapola. Again, why is Dish Network the ONLY one having these problems? Are all the programmers (include VOOM and TiVo in that statement if you would like) out to get Dish Network? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize the problem is with Dish Network!

I don't recall whether DirecTV has ever had a dispute where they stopped carrying a channel, but TimeWarner dropped our local ABC station for about a week in 1999 over a contract dispute. Dish just seems more willing to do it than other providers.

Ted

DirecTV does have GolTV

At about 13:30 in the pod cast Bob asks Scott if GolTV is available on DirecTV and Scott says no it isn't.

Unless you're talking about a different GolTV DirecTV has it on channel 614, moving to channel 620 on 9/10/08.

Thank you Scott . . . it is bullcrap that they try to hide behind that "we tried to save you money" shield!

Great PodCast! Keep up the great job!

Their honest answer to programming disputes should be something like:

"If we, as a company, are going to move Charlie up the Forbes list of richest people in America next year we cannot give in to these ridiculous demands of the networks!!"

Wow, it was nice to see Scott speak out against DISH and some of the actions they've been taking. Hopefully they listen and decide to actually do something to retain customers rather than count on them (us) to be oblivious.

Starz on DirecTV

I also didn't think DirecTV offered Starz HD but their premium packages offers:
Starz Comedy HD
Starz Edge HD
Starz HD East
Starz HD West
Starz Kids & Family

Well, Dish doesn't have as much money as Direct TV, so no they really can't afford some of the sky high demands of the channels, or they would go out of business a lot sooner then they otherwise would.

On the other hand Direct TV has always been the "high end" provider. They will happily pay what the channels want because they can always pass those costs along to their affluent subscribers, and they can't yank a channel even though they would LOVE to (the large cable companies have yanked many channels many times over the years) because they have painted themselves into a corner of providing all the channels no matter what. A Direct TV sub would rather pay an increase in their bill and keep the channel than keep some control on the bill and yank the channel.

Overall Direct TV is still more expensive than Dish, more expensive than my local cable company, and even more expensive than FiOS the last I checked. I am still with Dish because they are less expensive. If one has a hard-on for the sports, then Direct TV is where you should be and realize that Dish is not committed to that at any price, as Direct will pay anything, and pass it on to you. Dish was founded on price competitiveness, and the compromise for that is a channel going bye bye here and there. But that's Dish and that is why Dish is still less expensive than the competition. They really are two quite different providers if you really want all that sports you can eat. Direct TV is great for that; Dish is not. That simple. However, Dish has no excuse for its too often poor customer service and its (often misleading, disingenuous or just pain crooked) independent retailers / contractors not installing equipment correctly leading to complaints from the new customer often costing Dish $$$ to clean-up a contractor's crappy install. I've met only one competent and honest contractor. Dish company installers are top-notch all the way. Charlie fix those two things and you will get the quarterly new subs numbers you used to get.

I just switched to D* and getting almost identical programming give or take the few D* has that E* doesn't . I'm getting a discount for referral............the rebate promotion when I signed up and autopay, credit card rewards etc am...... paying about 40 dollars a month less the first year than I was paying with E*. After that. It will be about 20 dollars/month less unless prices go up. I have the dvr hd plus package with HD extra package.

I have D*'s Premier package and only pay about 5 bucks more per month that what I did with E*. I had E*'s Americas Everything pack with HD and Playboy. While having playboy was cool, I really dont miss it so its not as big of a bummer. I just think that some of this stuff that E* pulls could have been avoided.

great podcast guys. you described the reasons why after 10 years with Dish I signed up with Directv. tired of charlies bs!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)