VOOM and DISH 1000

general487

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
Winfield, AL
Hello All,

I currently have an 811 and a Dish500. I don't know much about pointing my dish, but I think it is pointed at satellite 119 and 110.

Since it will probably be a while before I can upgrade, I thought about adding the 10 VOOM channels for $5 per month before the packages change on Feb. 1st. What I am wondering is how I can receive those channels. I know that they are on 61.5 or 129, but does that mean that my current setup can receive them or do I require another dish. If I require another dish, will E* give me one and install it? Will it be a Dish1000 (i don't understand much about this, but I'm assuming the Dish1000 is a 3LNB that can pick up 110, 119, and 129 all at the same time)? Will it cost me anything?

Someone please rescue my ignorance.:)

It cost me $110, $50 for the swap of the 811 for the 211 and $60 for the service fee to come and and switch my dish out for a 1000.

general487 :welcome

Couple of things to consider.
1. Where do you live, 129 and hence dish 1000 might not work for you. (suggest you update your profile).
2. Do you subscribe to locals, if so do you get all of the locals or are you missing some, even if you don't care to watch them ?
If you are missing some and they are on 129 you will get an upgrade for free. This is how i got mine.
Here's the link to the Locals and sat list http://ekb.dbstalk.com/dishlist.htm
3. If you do upgrade to voom the current charge i believe is $99, for the extra dish. Well it was for me, till i discovered item 2.
Jeff

Birmingham, AL

I live in the Birmingham, AL DMA, although I live about 70 miles from B'ham in a little town called Winfield, AL.

I don't think it is worth $100 for just Voom. It may VERY well be worth $50 if I can turn in my 811 and get a 211 with the 1000 for free!

What receiver did you "Dish Up" in order to get the 211?

Also, did I see correctly that if I buy a 211 that for $49 they will come install an antenna on my house so that I can get locals? Dish will not be offering HD over LiL for Birmingham. Can anybody make sense of any of this!

general487 said:
I live in the Birmingham, AL DMA, although I live about 70 miles from B'ham in a little town called Winfield, AL.

I don't think it is worth $100 for just Voom. It may VERY well be worth $50 if I can turn in my 811 and get a 211 with the 1000 for free!

What receiver did you "Dish Up" in order to get the 211?

Also, did I see correctly that if I buy a 211 that for $49 they will come install an antenna on my house so that I can get locals? Dish will not be offering HD over LiL for Birmingham. Can anybody make sense of any of this!

Locals isnt a route to a dish 1000, then
Sooooo , It looks like the best option is the upgrade to a vip 211 for $49 after feb 1 with an additional $49 for the OTA antenna if you still want that.

If you have to pay a service like dial24 did too, then we're back up to over $100. I didnt pay any servcie fees for my dish 1000 upgrade.

Thanks Much!

I was trying to avoid the upgrade, because I only signed up with DISH in October, so I am stilling getting the HD Pack for free (6 months). I don't know what they will do if I upgrade! I am assuming they will drop my deal and charge me for the whole $54.99.

But, if I can get the new ViP 211, and then get the extra channels, and then get an antenna (I am so scared of trying to install one of those things because my wife is VERY picky:eek: ) for only $98, then I would have a pretty good HD lineup (actually worth watching weeknights).

Does anyone know if DISH usually does antenna installs? I am just curious because the last guy that came out here barely knew how to hook up my receivers (no joke, I had to hook the 625 up myself after he left). I don't want them junking up my roof, but you can't beat $49.

I am also assuming that they can put an antenna up there and run it to the 211 through the existing coax jack in my house (without fishing a new line).

Thanks guys for all your help.

They are supposed to be offering an ota antenna that they will install for $50.00 come Feb. 1st,2006. Don't know if they can diplex the signal to run just one coax into your house with the new ota antenna they install.

I use a terk 44 clip on ota antenna that does diplex the signal for up to 4 different cable runs into my house. I only use two runs, since I have two 942 s with a dishpro seperator on both coaxes and a diplexor as well.

MikeD-C05 said:
Don't know if they can diplex the signal to run just one coax into your house with the new ota antenna they install.
Of course, they CAN, the question is whether they WILL.

And the answer to that is whichever is cheaper, faster, easier for THEM.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)