Voom and Dish Network on one dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

agi

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 21, 2004
I'm going to have Voom installed today at 3PM and I was wondering If I could somehow add Dish Network International (same 61.5) programming using the same dish (do not want to have 2 seperate dishes as I do not have a lot of space on the patio) and how?

I'll only have two receivers - one for Voom and one for DishNet.

Thanks for any help.

Well, no replies but I have one more question. Does it matter what receiver do I have using Voom LNB? They are two types - legacy and DP.

Does that matter or not?

agi said:
I'm going to have Voom installed today at 3PM and I was wondering If I could somehow add Dish Network International (same 61.5) programming using the same dish (do not want to have 2 seperate dishes as I do not have a lot of space on the patio) and how?

I'll only have two receivers - one for Voom and one for DishNet.

Thanks for any help.

agi, not being an old pro at dish technology as I'm pretty new to this forum myself, but I'll bet that there is no way to use one satellite dish for two services.

Stop and think about it why would two companies get in bed together just so you could save a little space and time to use one dish. It might be possible but I'm very sure that they would never do that for you.

Hope this helps a little.

Bob

agi said:
I'm going to have Voom installed today at 3PM and I was wondering If I could somehow add Dish Network International (same 61.5) programming using the same dish (do not want to have 2 seperate dishes as I do not have a lot of space on the patio) and how? I'll only have two receivers - one for Voom and one for DishNet.
Thanks for any help.

I would think that you should be able to use a Dish 300 with a dual LNBF to get Voom and DISH on one dish. The 61.5 dish would have to be incorporated into a "legacy" dish system and would not be compatible with DishPro or Superdish. It would also not be compatible with Voom's new expansion to additional satellites. Personally, I think you're better off not trying to combine the two because even if you succeed you're likely to have to split them out again in the near future to upgrade to DishPro for DISH and multi-satellite for Voom.

--- WCS

Theoretically, it's possible. As long as the antenna can see both satellites(Voom's and Dish's), and if there aren't any bandpass filters on the antenna, it should be capable of recieved the frequency range for both services. I don't know what range either operates in, or if they are that close. But in theory, you'd only need a splitter to be able to run the cable to each reciever.

The LNB is dual LNB and the Dish and Voom's satellite is .. well the same satellite - 61.5

Thanks for all the replies. I'm getting 30" Voom dish as I had so little signal the installer could not activate the service. Also, the receiver was bad :(

I should have these hooked up within days and will try to use one out to Voom IRD and another one to Dish IRD.

I hope that's going to work.

It will work, provided the dual LNBF is not DISHPro. Run one cable to the VOOM receiver, and the other to the DISH one.

Alan

Al is right. The Voom LNB is a DirecTV dual LNB. It uses the same signaling as a Dish Network Legacy dual LNB. I've used one output for Voom 61.5 and Echostar 61.5. Make sure you run a check switch on the Dish receiver to clear out any saved switch matrixes since you won't have a switch in the mix.

Most likely if you have the 61.5 dish you have a sw64 switch or a DP 34 switch in witch case you need both ouputs for the 64 switch to work. I would get a 500 dish and 2 seperate LNBs. That would give you one dish and two places to hook up a two different LNBs.

Thanks al and all,

One more question - will it work with DishPro receiver such as DP301?

Dish will, Voom won't.

My question is.. if you already see 61.5 from Dish.. why couldn't your installer see 61.5 for voom? Sounds like it was a bad STB, and he just shrugged off the job.

Someone around here has done it, run a legacy dual into Dish and Voom.

dodge4322: If you are saying to use a Dish 500 antenna, setting the skew to zero and using two dual lnbf's to have 4 outputs, this will not work, as the focal points with the two lnbfs will be different. In other words, you will be able to aim one of the lnbf's, but the other will be off.

agi: A DP301 (or any other DISHPro receiver) will work with a legacy lnbf, as all DISHPro receivers are legacy capable.

Alan

Thanks al!

Great news.

Yes bcshields, the STB was bad. I should have the bigger dish and new STB tomorrow.

Just get 3x4 satellite switch. Use one output for Voom receiver and two outputs to SW64 plus you will still have one more output open for second Voom receiver. I have it that way and it works perfect.

Actually Al the focal point is still the same. You can set your elevation to zero and put a lnb on either side and you will still pick up the same signal. They do it everyday when they install for the second dish most of the DNSC use a dish 500 to upgrade the put it on either side. The only way the focal point changes is if you take the Y bracket off and try to mount the lnb straight to the arm. Now if the elevation is different on voom and dish then no it will not work

Well, after doing some research I found out that in fact both satellites are at 61.5 but they are 2 different satellites - Rainbow1 and Echostar. Will that Voom dual LNB be capable of picking up both of them?

agi said:
Well, after doing some research I found out that in fact both satellites are at 61.5 but they are 2 different satellites - Rainbow1 and Echostar. Will that Voom dual LNB be capable of picking up both of them?

Yes. The satellites are at the same location but there is a single set of transponder frequencies common to both services. Voom uses some of those frequencies and DISH uses the rest. Both DISH and Voom are capable of using all 32 frequencies but the licenses are divided between the two companies.

--- WCS

That means that once you get the signal on 61.5 then you got both Dish and Voom satellites right?

Thanks so much. I'll post here if I have any more questions after the install is done. Thanks again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)