Voom and Dish Network on one dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Well, do I need to have some type of switch or I can just run one cable straight to the Voom STB and the other one straight to the Dish Network STB?

Yes, but somehow I get only odd transponders on 61.5 (DishNet) and can not access some of the channels. Do you know what is causing the problem?

Don't I need Multi-Switch so the switch switches the voltage in order to get both even and odd tranponders?

Been there done that.

Using an SW64. I found a way that works for this if you just need to receive one cable from the 61.5 for Dish. I connected the one side of the LNB to the SW64 and swapped the cable until the one channel I needed came in. It was WCBS HD. Then connected the other cable to VOOM direct. VOOM works fine.

Here's the problem- Even though the single channel works on the SW54 for Dish, having only one side connected causes a problem with the 921 during check switch as the system is no longer symetrical. This will cause the entire system to break down. The 6000, which does not require symetry seems to work fine with one leg of the 61.5 going to VOOM. I still have more things to try but so far this is where I hit a brick wall on the sharing of the 61.5 Dish with VOOM and the 921.

To keep the 921 stable, I now operate the system with the 61.5 dish dedicated to VOOM and suffer the loss of WCBS HD. If I need it, it is a simple cable swap outside at the SW64 and then run another check switch. This lasts for about a day before the 921 loses stability due to lack of symetry on the switch.

Kind of confusing. So, there is no way to receive Voom and all of the transponders on DishNet on one satellite dish with dual LNB?

I think I just found the answer!

Why do you need dual LNBs to use the SW64 and SW44 with only one receiver?

Because the SW64 and SW44 "hardwire" the polarization for half the dual LNB to right hand, and left hand for the other half. The switch then selects between the two LNBs internally to select whichever polarization is required for the desired transponder. Normally, in a single LNB single receiver setup, the receiver supplies a voltage to the LNB which changes the polarization of the LNB depending on the transponder.

With (as few as) two dual LNBs, you can feed (up to) four receivers using an SW64. Without this permanent polarization, this would not be possible.

This also applies to the new SW44 since it is also a powered switch.

Nothing. Just the cable straight from the output on the LNB.

I just double checked and I only receive signal on the odd transponders.

agi:

Try switching cables. You most likely have a wiring problem. A DBS LNBF uses differences in voltage to determine odd or even transponders. 13V for odd, 18V for even. If you are not getting even transponders, that means the LNBF is not getting 18V. A bad cable end, water damage, too long of cable run, staple in the cable, or using RG59 are all possible causes.

On a related note, a multi switch does take one side of LNBF and make it odd full time, and the other side even. This allows you to connect more than 2 receivers to a dual LNBF, via the switch. As you only have two receivers, a switch is not necessary, because the particular receiver you are using at the time (either DISH or VOOM) sends the needed voltage to the LNBF. It does not matter that one receiver is DISH, and the other is VOOM. The only thing the LNBF "sees" is the voltage from the receiver.

If you are receiving all transponders on your VOOM receiver (VOOM only uses one even transponder), try connecting your DISH receiver to the LNBF with the VOOM cable (or run temporary cable), and verify even transponders. If you are now receiving even transponders, then you need to replace DISH cable, or find the source of voltage loss.

One more thing. If you had your 301 connected to a twin, quad or switch of some kind prior to now, go to the "check switch" screen in system setup, disconnect the cable to lnbf from receiver, and run check switch routine to "clear the matrix". If the receiver is looking for a switch that is not there, this may also be causing the problem.

Good Luck

Alan

A lot of good info. Thanks. Now:

The cables lenght are about 60 feet (Voom and DishNet)
I receive Voom at 81 signal strenght OK (not perfect - because I get some pixalation)
I can not get even transponder on DishNet using the Voom's cable (when testing) - even though as you mentioned Voom uses even transponder.

I just double checke AGAIN ;)

I get perfect signal on DishNet (much much better then after the PROFESSIONAL INSTALLATION - 90-107) and OK signal on VOOM at 81-82

Voom - even transponder
Dish - odd transponders and even transponders

I just fixed it. The coax connector was bad. I changed it and it works!

Still, wish I could get a better signal then 81 on Voom.

Thanks al and all for help!

You are very welcome! I am happy that you figured it out. Don't be disappointed with signal strength of 81 on VOOM. With DISH, you are getting 90-107 on a 0-125 scale. With VOOM, 81-82 on a 0-100 scale. You are getting the same strength on both services, the providers are using differing scales of measurement.

Alan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)