Voom and HD Cable?

Inspector

Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
I'd like to introduce myself to this great forum, and say thank you for a wealth of information. :bow

That said, I am now awaiting the arrival of a Voom installer out here in Goodyear, Arizona. Problem is, he has told me by phone that he did a install out here last week, and because I'm behind the south mountain, I more then likey can not get OTA. He used a stealth model for the other gentlemen, and said he was bring a upgraded antenna for me, but still says it looks bleak.

That is where my question comes in...I have Cox cable that has HD local channels, and already have their basic service anyway for a high speed internet connection and phone anyway...so no huge cost upgrade. Can I install two high def sources into my TV, with one input? I have a Pioneer SD-643HD5...and it has one HD component input only. I've seen the DVI input TV's have a switcher for them, how about component?

Thanks again for this great site...happy to be part of it. :)

huh. I looked your tv up on the web and it says that it has two component inputs...

He's probably looking to use 2 DVI connections. They make DVI Switchers if you Google it. They are still rather expensive though. You are probably better off using one Component and one DVI.

Haha...the guy is installing now. I'm very upset as he is a Dallas Cowboy fan, as was not sure I should allow him in my home. Well, he's drilling and laddering as I type, so consider this Giant fan courteous. :D

It does have two component inputs, but are they both hi-def? I was under the impression that only one was...but I will be more then happy if they both are of the HD input and I can easily put both receivers through the TV. But hopefully the OTA antenna will work, and this all hearsay.

I'll post the outcome later...btw, just picked this TV up at costco three days ago so I'm rather green with all the HDTV stuff. Be easy on me! :D

Read your TV's Manual. I know it's not a 'guy' thing to do, but there really is a wealth of information hidden between the covers. ;)

DarrellP said:
Read your TV's Manual. I know it's not a 'guy' thing to do, but there really is a wealth of information hidden between the covers. ;)

I thought guys just drink beer and flip the channels! :)

Looks like the OTA won't get all the channels but he mentioned a stronger antenna, a straight shooter? :confused:

But I may just do the cable thing now that I've read the manuel and found out both component inputs will work. ;)

Inspector said:
I'd like to introduce myself to this great forum, and say thank you for a wealth of information. :bow

That said, I am now awaiting the arrival of a Voom installer out here in Goodyear, Arizona. Problem is, he has told me by phone that he did a install out here last week, and because I'm behind the south mountain, I more then likey can not get OTA. He used a stealth model for the other gentlemen, and said he was bring a upgraded antenna for me, but still says it looks bleak.

That is where my question comes in...I have Cox cable that has HD local channels, and already have their basic service anyway for a high speed internet connection and phone anyway...so no huge cost upgrade. Can I install two high def sources into my TV, with one input? I have a Pioneer SD-643HD5...and it has one HD component input only. I've seen the DVI input TV's have a switcher for them, how about component?

Thanks again for this great site...happy to be part of it. :)

having basic cable, with an extra 5 dollars to rent the HD stb to recieve the locals in HD is a great idea for those who can't recieve locals through OTA. In my area it's about 17 bucks a month total to get cable locals in HD. That isn't that bad. If I couldn't recieve them through OTA, I would of kept my cable just for that. I currently have basic cable, because I actually pay less per month with it for my internet service, but got rid of the HD stb, (I just wasn't watching it enough to justify paying for it).

Inspector said:
But I may just do the cable thing now that I've read the manuel and found out both component inputs will work. ;)
Uh, oh! Next thing you know you'll be eating quiche! :D Quick, put down the manual, drink a beer and let out a gut-wrenching BUUUUUURP! :p

Inspector said:
I thought guys just drink beer and flip the channels! :)

Looks like the OTA won't get all the channels but he mentioned a stronger antenna, a straight shooter? :confused:

If we drink enough beer we start flipping the TV :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)