Voom and ReplayTV

It also has coax in. I connect via SVideo and Coax (need both to get the locals).

-MP

Help!

OK so I got the replay....

Tried the WiRNS thing.

everytime I get to the....

- Open a web browser and go to http://127.0.0.1:8923/

I get..... :no

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

So nothing works...?

any suggestions?

:(

OK got this far....

"- Change the zipcode on your replay to proxy through wirns, and select multiple sources to get locals."

How does one accomplish this?

MP?

Which part? Changing zipcodes is done in the Setup. This will propogate the new data. As for selecting multiple sources, what I mean is that you have to have 2 connections from your Voom box to the Replay. I used SVideo and Coax. Set SVideo to Satellite and select DirecTV (VOOM). Then, if you have done the database fix, set the Coax to Satellite also and select Local Channel Lineup. This will only work if you've done the database hack.

MP

Hey MP,

I think there is some confusion on my part.

I assume (now) that changing the Zip to something.... then changing it back to the correct one will make it talk to WiRNS... thus "Proxy through WiRNS".

Now I'm getting an error...

[DNS] micro_dns initializing
[DNS] Attempting to reply with 192.168.0.1 for production queries.
[DNS] Attempting to proxy non-production requests to 67.35.225.1.
[DNS] bind() call returned an error: DNS Server already running/Insufficient pri
vledges

Then after I plod on through..... and it start trying to talk to the Replay...

[2004-04-24 02:28:41] Refreshing RecordingGuide for: rptv1(192.168.0.52)
[2004-04-24 02:29:20] There was an error refreshing the recording guide.
[2004-04-24 02:29:20] Attempting to use a cached version if one is available.
[2004-04-24 02:29:20] Parsed 0/0 entries.
[2004-04-24 02:29:20] Building ToDo List for: rptv1
[2004-04-24 02:29:24] Refreshing plugin channel guide.
[2004-04-24 02:29:24] Loading ReplayZone genre data.
[2004-04-24 02:29:27] Refreshed plugin channel guide.

I'm sure its some stupid DNS setting on my computer or something similar...

Hrm... I'll be honest, you'd do better to ask on the WiRNS thread at AVS Forums. That one's a little beyond me :)

I am sure this is a dumb question but will ReplayTV work with Voom for recording shows? I was not sure if this thread was showing people what you could use to set it up remotely. I would like to buy the Replay but do not want to keep my computer on 24/7. Sorry if this has already been answered but I am new to all of this and could use a laymen.

Yes, this thread is showing people how to set it up to record shows off of Voom. You can choose not to leave your PC up all the time, but it helps if you do. If you don't, once you boot your PC up and start WiRNS you will have to do a manual net connect on the replay to update the info.

-MP

Are others able to get this to reliably work?

I've spent a good two days messing around with this. I get random errors, crashes, etc and haven't been able to get it to work. Are others getting this to work?
Thanks.

MP, Got it all figured out. Thanks.

The problem was that I was not aware that the initial command

sqlite WiRNS.db

Must be executed from a command prompt and not from the sqlite prompt.

So you get to a DOS C:\ prompt

in Win98 you just click the DOS prompt Icon in the start menu

in Win2k and XP you enter cmd in the run box.

and use the "cd" (change directory) command to get the path to the WiRNS directory where sqlite and the WiRNS.db are located.

I found it easiest to locate the WiRNS directory on the root drive (c:\)

c:\WiRNS\>

then execute the following;

sqlite WiRNS.db

Which in turn opens the WiRNS.db within sqlite and the and gives you the "sqlite>" prompt, where you enter

SELECT * FROM lineups;

And you get the proper responses from sqlite.

Other than that, the instructions couldn't have worked better. The initial problem I had with WiRNS, was a crappy USB-DSL modem that I replaced with a much better Ethernet version and a Linksys Router, which allowed me to properly set up the IP's and DNS and get out of the Windows Internet Connection Sharing scheme.

Now with the new Modem connected to the router, my network and internet work much better with the 5 computers i'm running. Windows ICS is :down

So, I've been recording VOOM OTA and satellite - High def (@ 480i) and am very pleased with the image quality. Much better then anything I was able to get with a DVD recorder or Super-VHS.

The recorded image is easily superior to low def.

Thanks very much for sharing your experience. It is certainly a viable alternative for a VOOM DVR. And, provided you already have a computer/network setup, it is relatively inexpensive.

Jim

Absolutely... I'm amazed for instance at the quality of the 10 hours of Mash reruns I have taped on a rolling basis :). If I could just get rid of that damn Hallmark Channel watermark, I'd not have to buythe box sets!

I posted this over at AVS. I was using WIRNS for VOOM to my Replay, But I set my Replay back to the automatic connection and left VOOM as one of the inputs. Now when my Replay connects to ReplayTV's servers it downloads the VOOM lineup. I don't think Replay is supporting VOOM yet, but mine sure is getting guide data for it without using WIRNS anymore. Anyone else aware of this and if so why was I not told? :(

Yep, I saw that post... excellent news. Here's why it works. Replay uses Zpa2It for guide data, the same as WiRNS. What WiRNS is doing is allowing you to modify what provider types Replay is querrying Zpa2It for. So once you have Voom configured as a source, Replay doesn't need WiRNS anymore. If any of us had thought much about it, we should have realized this ages ago. I'm glad you stumbled across it!

-MP

Does it also download the local channel information?

Hell... I'll just remap the IPs back to Replay from Wirns and see for myself!

I'll Let you know if it works

Ya know, folks out there don't know what they are missing. These rascals(replays) are smart. :) Until I got my second replay I did not realize all the functions available on them. Now if they would just make a Hd version :D (prob. never happen but...)

NOHDjunkie said:
Does it also download the local channel information?

Hell... I'll just remap the IPs back to Replay from Wirns and see for myself!

I'll Let you know if it works

I reconnected to Relpay instead of WiRNS. It works like a charm.... Both Voom and Local channel Info coming in fine from the Replay service. This is great!

So, long story short.... Replay TV works with VOOM, provided you configure it once with WiRNS/SQlite to add VOOM & locals to the channel lineup (simple)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)