Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Source

Distributor Relationship Is Significant Step for Increasing VOOM
Availability and Number of Retailers

JERICHO, N.Y., May 4 /PRNewswire/ -- VOOM, the first comprehensive high-
definition (HD) television service, announced today an agreement with O'Rourke
Sales Company granting the distributor national distribution rights for VOOM.
In a preview period since its October launch, VOOM began ramping up its
outreach to potential customers in March and launched a compelling offer,
which essentially eliminates the barrier for consumers to experience HDTV.
Now, for the first time, VOOM will be available to key independent electronics
dealers nationwide.
Under the relationship, VOOM and O'Rourke Sales Company will work closely
together to identify and evaluate top-tier specialty retailers for VOOM.
Additionally, the two companies will collaborate to execute the dealer
application process, provide equipment and start-up kits to retailers,
establish co-operative programs, as well as perform dealer sales and
installation training.
"This national distributor partnership is significant for VOOM because it
allows us to reach consumers who shop at high-end specialty retailers," said
Bill Casamo, executive vice president, marketing and sales for Rainbow DBS.
"Additionally, the independent retailers have highly-trained staff who will
ensure the utmost quality in both VOOM sales and installation. O'Rourke is an
ideal distribution partner for VOOM because of their solid industry
reputation, extensive DBS experience and commitment to serving independent
retailers."
O'Rourke Sales Company will aggressively market VOOM to its retailers,
which number approximately 10,000 with locations in all 50 states. The
company will stage regional events where retailers can experience VOOM and its
programming with the goal of generating dealer excitement.
"HDTV is the only new viable profit center that puts retailers at the
cutting edge of technology," said Jeff O'Rourke, president of O'Rourke Sales
Company. "Adding VOOM to our existing HDTV lineup including TVs, surround
sound systems, audio receivers and accessories allows us to offer our dealers
a complete package to satisfy the increasing HDTV consumer demand. We are
currently accepting dealer applications and anticipate a huge response to our
regional dealer events."

Thats nice if you want to sell in high end stereo/tv shops. But if you want to grow in sub numbers they need to get their A$$es into best buy, circuit city and compusa etc. Joe 6pack is realizing that the HD set is in his pricepoint and a zero install is the way to get him.

vurbano said:
Thats nice if you want to sell in high end stereo/tv shops. But if you want to grow in sub numbers they need to get their A$$es into best buy, circuit city and compusa etc. Joe 6pack is realizing that the HD set is in his pricepoint and a zero install is the way to get him.

Well, there's always some fault to be found in any exclusive deal - but this sure beats Sears every which way possible. If the Sears linkage wasn't so much of a total disaster, it would be laughable.

If they dont get into mainstream stores we will be burying voom next year. Or possibly be paying our "voom" bill to rupert murdoch.

ricks said:
Well, there's always some fault to be found in any exclusive deal - but this sure beats Sears every which way possible. If the Sears linkage wasn't so much of a total disaster, it would be laughable.

The article does not say it is exclusive. I suspect we will soon see deals with Circuit City and Best Buy ...

What does this mean, then?

"granting the distributor national distribution rights for VOOM"

ricks said:
What does this mean, then?

"granting the distributor national distribution rights for VOOM"

Guess: the distributor will be able to show off VOOM content on their display rooms.

I should have combined this in my last post. Duh!

Anyone know what stores are included in this:

"O'Rourke Sales Company will aggressively market VOOM to its retailers,
which number approximately 10,000 with locations in all 50 states."

By the way, Vurbano, I'm not disagreeing with you. They do need a mainstream presence. Even if most of these are high-end stores that may scare away Joe Sixpack, they can accomplish the same thing with bold Sunday paper inserts and direct calls to Voom. Much as Direct does every Sunday, and more. But, I like the high-end relationship. Voom's offering is different. This can help distinguish it. Even Joe Sixpack would like a Porsche (or a dually) - and he will be pleasantly surprised to learn he can afford it. The tie-in with high-end stuff and direct marketing to him in the paper (and other mass circulation media) can accomplish the psychological connection.

I hope I don't see Voom and Radio Shack adds :) "Shop for your new Tandy and HD programming all in one place, Radio Shack. ITT Tech Dropout? Employment oppurtunities inside!"

cyuhnke said:
I hope I don't see Voom and Radio Shack adds :) "Shop for your new Tandy and HD programming all in one place, Radio Shack. ITT Tech Dropout? Employment oppurtunities inside!"

I recently read that RatShack has jumped onboard the Dish bandwagon in a big way. I don't know if this means they are dropping DirecTV but it probably means they won't pick up Voom. I've never really cared for the way dealers handle multiple services anyway - the ones that have carried both DirecTV and Dish usually minimize their push on one (badmouth it) and emphasize the other. "We'll sell you DirecTV if you really want it, but Dish is far better, far cheaper, and we stock their receivers" - a quote from a local electronics store.

I agree with vurbano. Voom should get into the Circuit City, Best Buy, etc. Those are the places that average Joe is buying his 1st HD set and after such investment, the $0 upfront should sound very attractive.

:D They could offer a Free DVD with Voom Introduction like we see everyday with the lady on the red couch...21 Voom exclusive channels and more HD than any other providor . Buy your HDTV from Best Buy or C C and recieve a Free DVD comerical about Voom , maybe even have a movie on it like Matrix , Lord of the Rings , etc....
HD=Voom ;)

pdqbobe said:
:D They could offer a Free DVD with Voom Introduction like we see everyday with the lady on the red couch...21 Voom exclusive channels and more HD than any other providor . Buy your HDTV from Best Buy or C C and recieve a Free DVD comerical about Voom , maybe even have a movie on it like Matrix , Lord of the Rings , etc....
HD=Voom ;)

Too bad the DVD could not show true HD

cyuhnke said:
I hop I see voom there, I hope I see it everywhere.

Maybe they could "hire" us to come up with a marketing plan and pay us with an HD DVR? Just a thought.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)