Voom..Are you still happy it's gone?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I can't say that I was ever happy they were removed. I was not upset either though. My preference would be to have as many HD channels as available.... whether it has repeats, stretch-o-vision, up-converts, hd-lite, sd programming.... is there anything else people complain about all the time? Doesn't matter to me.

I want all networks to get into the HD era and I don't expect them to be perfect right off the bat. The more networks that get their channels in HD, the quicker it will be that they need to take care of those annoying problems above. If everyone is broadcasting in HD, the next thing on their list is to make their channels look better. At some point, the channels will begin to show its weakness in quality as it will be side by side with every other HD channel. There have been comparisons to the age when tv was converting from b&w to color. Something along the lines of how long it took for the networks and shows to get everything broadcast in color.... it took a long while. I am sure you could also make comparisons in another way as well. I will bet that not all programs that went to color looked as good as some of the others. It probably took some time for them to get a standard going for the color quality. The same will happen with the HD broadcast as well.

Back to the OP question... I'm not sure the question was really posed in an appropriate way. I doubt most were happy to see VOOM go. I think some were just not upset as much as others were.

BTW - thanks for starting another VOOM thread. :rolleyes:

I think it is funny how voomers took a thread about being glad it was gone and turned it into another i miss voom gripe fest... I have said it once and I will say it again (now, this is my opinion and as i recall everyone has a right to their own) I am SO glad that voom was removed. I can count the number of times that I watched voom on one hand. Poor programing if you want to ask me.

Thats your choice! I would like to at least have the ''choice''. I dont like all the home shopping channels. Others do. Do I want them removed? No. I feel people are entitled to choice. Good or bad!

Our choice has been taken away! PERIOD!

Also, yes, this is a forum for us to gripe. Thats the beauty of a forum. All are entitled to their opinnion.

Don't miss Voom at all. I dropped the Voom channels as soon as Dish made that an option. In fact, before Dish had turned on SciFi and USA HD, I had sent an e-mail to CEO requesting some of the Voom channels be combined or dropped to make room for some of the mainstream HD programming. (Wow - maybe Charlie really DOES listen! :D )

Even though I didn't watch Voom, I am saddened that the situation had to deteriorate to the point it did and sympathize with those who enjoyed the programming. The way the situation was handled is a disservice to Dish customers.

I can't say that I was ever happy they were removed. I was not upset either though. My preference would be to have as many HD channels as available.... whether it has repeats, stretch-o-vision, up-converts, hd-lite, sd programming.... is there anything else people complain about all the time? Doesn't matter to me.

I want all networks to get into the HD era and I don't expect them to be perfect right off the bat. The more networks that get their channels in HD, the quicker it will be that they need to take care of those annoying problems above. If everyone is broadcasting in HD, the next thing on their list is to make their channels look better. At some point, the channels will begin to show its weakness in quality as it will be side by side with every other HD channel. There have been comparisons to the age when tv was converting from b&w to color. Something along the lines of how long it took for the networks and shows to get everything broadcast in color.... it took a long while. I am sure you could also make comparisons in another way as well. I will bet that not all programs that went to color looked as good as some of the others. It probably took some time for them to get a standard going for the color quality. The same will happen with the HD broadcast as well.

Back to the OP question... I'm not sure the question was really posed in an appropriate way. I doubt most were happy to see VOOM go. I think some were just not upset as much as others were.

BTW - thanks for starting another VOOM thread. :rolleyes:

People like me are still seething over this. After years of loving our Voom stations its hard to except they were just yanked off in one minute in the darkness of night.

Im sorry its redundant but what was done was disturbing.

I find it Funny , how many people do not want us to have a choice. You would rather see it gone, than given the choice? That is all I am asking for in the end. When Charlie put Speed HD on the basic tier I will not have a choice, yet Voomer are critized for wanting a choice, ( I will not complain about waste of bandwidth,my taste is not law)Well .. I think everyone is entitled to a Choice.

Yup, I miss it. However, it makes me a feel a little better not giving my money to "Fast-Hand" Charlie anymore. Even if Voom was the ultimate decider in having the channels removed, it doesn't erase the half-assed business decisions and management at Dish. Voom was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

The only good thing about Voom being gone is that now I'm actually watching all those HD DVD's I bought.

I am not a fan of the cheap reality shows on Bravo, etc. (I do like the French Open coverage on Tennis. MGM HD ain't bad.) Therefore, I do miss the newer content that Rave, Ultra, Monsters and World Cinema had started bringing to the table. I don't have kids so all the Disney, ABC, Hallmark stuff is completely useless to me.

Of course, I was never happy when they took it away. Therefore, I'm not one of the ones this thread is directed at.

i'm not glad it's gone but i don't miss it either. sat providers need to listen more to their customers but the fact is that they're confident that decisions like these won't push customers out. they predicted that the lost of customers over voom would be really low and they were right. how many of us actually left because of this? Few to none. How many of us are going to stay despite what happened with voom? Most. They're pretty smart.

i'm not glad it's gone but i don't miss it either. sat providers need to listen more to their customers but the fact is that they're confident that decisions like these won't push customers out. they predicted that the lost of customers over voom would be really low and they were right. how many of us actually left because of this? Few to none. How many of us are going to stay despite what happened with voom? Most. They're pretty smart.

Im sure they lost more than you and I will every know. Plus the bad press that
they have gotten has done plenty to hurt them nationaly.

What they did was secretly without notice remove 15 channels- Do you think that this would go unnoticed??

This has sent shock waves thoughout their company-Damage controll in full force.

Bad move for any company to act the way dish has. Its decetive and disgusting.

This will come full circle-Karmic Justice?????

It should not have to be said again, but apparently it does. Charlie kept your Monster channel plus four. He wanted to do what many of you are now hoping Voom will do...cut down. Voom said all or nothing. They took it away, not Charlie.

not true. read the legal document. This is a misconception without any merit or fact.

Funny how that rumor is still put out there, even if the Legal Doc states otherwise.

If that legal document is Voom's complaint, don't take that as gospel truth. If Charlie had said he wanted to keep Voom with fewer channels, when there was a provision on the agreement for fewer channels, to me it makes it look like Voom was the unreasonable one. I suspect they would want to hide this.

What other reason was there to yank 10, then 5, instead of all 15?

And "charlie said" is Gospel? It is apparent this everyone has taken a side each believing they are correct. The court will figure this out no matter what we say. I place my bet when Dish files the answer to the complaint rather than rumors.

Regarding how many subs have left because of VOOM'c demise and how many are going to stay, you're probably right.
However, if VOOM (and this is not likely due to Charlie's 20 percent ownership of VOOM he wouldn't allow it) suddenly showed up on Direct TV, then how many subs do you think would switch?
I know I would because to quote another who posted in this thread, those of us who like and miss VOOM would again have a choice.

One other thought. If VOOM were on both services, would Charlie have dared to pull the plug?

Last edited:
Vooms importance in switching is WAY overstated. Most switching to D* will continue to do so for more channels AND better PQ (D* getting Voom would be a sidenote)

I can't say that I was ever happy they were removed. I was not upset either though. My preference would be to have as many HD channels as available....
I agree with this.

I never watched the channels. My wife did like Equator though. I'm not heartbroken about it, and neither is she, but neither one of is is overjoyed about it. And since they're not likely to ever come back, I think it's time to move on. Life is too short to get all bent out of shape over a few TV channels.

And "charlie said" is Gospel? It is apparent this everyone has taken a side each believing they are correct. The court will figure this out no matter what we say. I place my bet when Dish files the answer to the complaint rather than rumors.

Well, their's evidence to back up what Charlie said, although I don't believe him entirely, either. For one day, he had 5 Vooms still on the air. I agree, it will be interesting to see Dish's response. I suspect even you ardent Voomers will be forced to admit to yourself that Dish does have a few legitimate gripes about the way Voom programming was handled.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)