Voom Bandwidth Solution

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

voripteth

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 20, 2005
Aurora, IL
We've read on other posts that Dish is sacrificing a number of VOOM channels in order to keep 'true' HDTV resolution. Instead of just dropping channels I propose an alternate solution.

Combine content from mulitple Voom channels. How often do you see that the same two movies are repeated on GuyTV for the entire day. That's an incredible waste of bandwidth! I'm sure that channels such as Monsters, GuyTV and KungFu could all be combined into a single channel without losing a single show. I'm certain there are other examples where we can have both variety and quality at the same time.

Does Dish control Voom content or are there still Voom people doing this?

Voom controls its own programming. They are already doing this. On Gallery you see Auction HD, on GuyTv you see FU HD, Vice HD, etc...

I'm happy with a compromise of 15 full bitrate VOOM HD channels...and I think most people will agree.

Dish Network does not control VOOM programming. It is controlled by Rainbow Media/VOOM HD Networks. As a former VOOMer, I can honestly say that Dish Network subscribers have yet to see VOOM in action. In a nutshell, you have been viewing a shell of its former self (to quote Charlie, "a placeholder") that was thrown out there while the business and marketing folks figure out a way to use them.

As promised, the VOOM HD Originals should be delivering tons of new content starting in January. Personally speaking, I have missed the Cinema10 channels, but I will certainly be happy if they can only deliver 5 or 6 at full bitrate movie channels with less repetition.

Just my opinion...

I guess that's what Charlie meant by condensing the original 21 V* channels down to 15. Hopefully, they'll squeeze all 21 content into 15 channels.

Sean Mota said:
They are already doing this. On Gallery you see Auction HD, on GuyTv you see FU HD, Vice HD, etc...

They aren't doing it often enough then. I looked at today's schedule of GuyTV and I still see two movies repeated five times today.

riffjim4069 said:
Dish Network subscribers have yet to see VOOM in action.

That's comforting to hear but since Voom controls its own content I have to wonder what they are waiting for. When January comes I truely hope we don't get five more channels of two movies repeating endlessly. I've seen Voom advertise that they have the largest library of HD programming. It would certainly be nice if they let us see it faster than two movies a day!

What was the "real" Voom like? Was it a festival of repeats as well?

If VOOM doesn't put all of its HD content into these 15 channels, then what are they going to do with it? Seems to me that they pretty much have to mix content down to the 15 channels.

The 21 channels were arbitary. They could (and did) mix and match content across channels. Only downside is that we won't have quite as much variety to pick from at any one minute ... having only 15 options instead of 21.

voripteth said:
They aren't doing it often enough then. I looked at today's schedule of GuyTV and I still see two movies repeated five times today.

That's comforting to hear but since Voom controls its own content I have to wonder what they are waiting for. When January comes I truely hope we don't get five more channels of two movies repeating endlessly. I've seen Voom advertise that they have the largest library of HD programming. It would certainly be nice if they let us see it faster than two movies a day!

What was the "real" Voom like? Was it a festival of repeats as well?

I guess you haven't been near VOOM for the past 3 years. All the movie channels except for Monsters HD has the same format 2 movies per day.

Sean Mota said:
I guess you haven't been near VOOM for the past 3 years. All the movie channels except for Monsters HD has the same format 2 movies per day.

Wow! Talk about a waste of bandwidth! :eek:

Well, it from my perspective. I watch TV exclusively from my DVR. A movie that repeats twice a WEEK is probably often enough for me to catch. It boggles the mind that they would repeat many times that each day!

Are there any statistics about Dish receiver types for HD customers? I'm curious what percentage have DVRs.

riffjim4069 said:
I'm happy with a compromise of 15 full bitrate VOOM HD channels...and I think most people will agree.
Dish Network does not control VOOM programming. It is controlled by Rainbow Media/VOOM HD Networks. As a former VOOMer, I can honestly say that Dish Network subscribers have yet to see VOOM in action. In a nutshell, you have been viewing a shell of its former self (to quote Charlie, "a placeholder") that was thrown out there while the business and marketing folks figure out a way to use them.
As promised, the VOOM HD Originals should be delivering tons of new content starting in January. Personally speaking, I have missed the Cinema10 channels, but I will certainly be happy if they can only deliver 5 or 6 at full bitrate movie channels with less repetition.
Just my opinion...

:up :up :up

-Gary

Voripteth, one very nice thing about VOOM is they listen to their customers and makes changes as needed; it is an ongoing evolution. I'm sure they will continue to evolve as more and more HD material is made available...and more people acquire HD DVRs. VOOM may not be for everyone, but I suspect they will make a push to make it available to everyone.

voripteth said:
Wow! Talk about a waste of bandwidth! :eek: .

It maybe from your perspective. But from their perspective their 10 movies channels when it was alive was supposed to create a concept of a multiplex movie theater where the movies are repeated throughtout the day and you may catch them at any time. (Just like it is in the theater.)

That concept may or may not apply anymore. Who knows? But that is the concept of the movie channels. They were never intended to be 24/7 channels like regular channels. Not to say that I agree with that concept either but I wouldn't call it a waste since it serves a purpose once you look at it with an open mind. Now the DVR throws that whole concept out of the window and I agree with that. I hope they (voom) change their mind about their movie channels but that is not an easy decision as just adding movies to each channel. It involves licenses fee which translate to $$$$. I do not know whether they have the money to support those channels on 24/7 with 5 or 7 movies per day. It costs money to license those movies.

Can tell me where I can contact Voom to give them feedback?

Currently Voom is costing me $5 a month and it is almost worth that IMHO. I think that is just an introductory price, though. If the price goes up there won't be much reason to stay with it.

I find that I watch the HDNet channels far more often since they actually have good quality HD and interesting programing. Heck they even show movies made within the last few decades! :p

I eagerly await the changes to Voom in January. Hopefully they will add enough new content and variety to keep me as a customer!

My guess is that Voom is having a hard time selling itself to cable companies because 21 HD channels take up a lot of space. They'd (Cable Co.) rather sell 15 @ $15/mo than 21 channels @ $15/mo.

It's my understanding that the deal with Voom will require it to be a part of the basic HD offerings, eventually. I don't think the $5 is an intro price, but as more gets added, there may be an increase.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts