Voom Component Inputs

sixy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
St. Albans, West Virginia
The installer is here now putting in the Voom system. He's outside installing the antenna now. We can't get the video to show up coming through any of the 3 component inputs on my television. (I don't have a DVI input.) I know they work on the tv because two are being used by the DVD player & XBox.

I read somewhere that the Voom box defaults to 720p, and my television only supports 1080i. I'm thinking that might be the problem. I don't see any options to change the output though. Can anyone tell me how to do it? We have a picture right now coming through the RF coax temporarily.

Thanks.

Has anyone asked someone at Voom why this info is not included with the manuals or instructions that come with the system?

amoung other questions

Has any one asked why the manual is such a useless marketing POS. Don't know if DISH or DIRECT's are any better but for a good example of how it should be done look at an old Chapperal C-Band manual.

Yes I did when they called this week on their New Customer Survey. The only point that I didn't give them an "Very Satisfied Rating" was on Instructions. Told them installer didn't explain a thing and if it was not for this Forum I would have had to call VOOM to get my Locals to show up, and the red button issue. Don't think it was passed-on, since all he wanted was a rating from 1 to 5. It may not be a big deal if when you call VOOM the SR knows what to tell you. Don't know if they do or not since I have not had to call since I'm very pleased with VOOM, no problems even with Locals! Has anyone called VOOM and was told about red button? Are the Reps knowable?

I still can't figure out why VOOM doesn't change the default from 720p to 1080i on the boxes...

madpoet,

What would have happened if sixy hadn't had access to this forum, or wasn't aware of this forum? It would just save a lot of headaches.

Yeah, I probably would've been running through AV or coax until I got brave enough to hit the "shiny red button" and accidentally discovered it.

Actually, the installer was going to ask Voom when he called to activate the system. I'm sure they would've been able to help. But still, they could've labelled the button, at least.

Ken F said:
madpoet,

What would have happened if sixy hadn't had access to this forum, or wasn't aware of this forum? It would just save a lot of headaches.

But what if your TV only supported 720? :) I agree that the manual needs to explain the button. Personally I think if it's going to default to anything, it should be 480i.

-MP

When I had VOOm installed , I went through the same thing. The installer finally said that the receiver was defective and he would have to get me another receiver. I went to AVS forum ...before I found this one.... and then I read about the red button in the front. The bar on the top has to be lit to see 1080. Voom should send out some sort of e-mail or memo to all installers that the red button will have to be pushed. Thank God for forums like this one and AVS.

The Stone Man said:
There are a lot of documents at Installs Inc that are available to anyone with internet access. This link gives you the installers guide to STB installation for the Motorola DSR550, and explains some of the functions of the satellite receiver, including the purpose of the red button in front http://www.installs.com/docs/Cablevision%20Installation%20Guide%20-%20r10222003.pdf.
I am not sure how you are able to find these documents unless you have a signon with installs inc.

The "mode button" instructions in that document are:

Congratulations, download and initial activation is complete! The STB video outputs may now be connected to any of the standard definition or high definition TV or home theatre video components in the homeowners system. The video mode button may have to be pressed to match the output mode of the viewing device. Once this is set, it should not have to be set again. The lightbars (from top to bottom) indicate the following video modes: 1080i, 720p,480p, 480i).​

First mistake: This ASSUMES that the installer is familiar with HDTV.

Would it have killed them to include some of this basic info for the user?
How is it more cost effective to have identical support calls for simple stuff like this. They end up scheduling STB replacements for almost anything, rather then getting the correct info out there?

I found it by doing a general search on Yahoo for "Motorola DSR550". I agree that the setup people should be better prepared, and certainly wish that they would provide stuff like this upon installation. It would provide for a better installation experience to have something besides promotional materials for a product you've already committed to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts