Voom defaults on HDTV Magazine ads

There's been several reports of voom skipping out on paying for ads. those folks were foolish to place the ads before payment. I think we are one of them :D

But I don't know how the hd mag can blame voom alone for the reason they cannot operate the guide. they (the hd mag) should've taken more action to get paid.

With all the talk in this forum about not people paying VOOM when it folds, it's not surprising that VOOM is taking a similar approach.

BFG said:
There's been several reports of voom skipping out on paying for ads. those folks were foolish to place the ads before payment. I think we are one of them :D

They and you guys were following standard practice of exteneding credit to a big firm with big pockets. (cablevision has big pockets) I see that Scott says that they are now going to accept advertising for Feb. I would guess he has assurance of payment or has asked for payment in advance in this situation. That is not unusual either. Kind of like political advertising. If they're not there tomorrow you want to get paid today.

How do you know this is true? It sounds fishy. It is some lame blog, which actually carries a Google fed Voom banner on top.

Looks like a lame excuse for the dumb schmucks that paid $35 to subscribe to the guide (which, btw does not even list any of the Voom HD programming, which amounts to about 50% of the HD stuff out there...) and the blog.

GreatMAC...you may be right. He has posted this in several different threads.

BFG said:

But I don't know how the hd mag can blame voom alone for the reason they cannot operate the guide. they (the hd mag) should've taken more action to get paid.

There has not been several reports. There has been one report -- HDTV Magazine. Satelliteguys were paid for the lenght of the contract it ran for VOOM (Scott can verify this...). Don't know what happens in HDTV Magazine. Maybe an isolated case.

HDTV Mag has been hurting for funds for years. Dale has invested a couple of million of his own dollars since 1989 to spearhead the HDTV revolution. Dale has probably done more for HDTV than any other individual on the planet. He only needs a few thousand subs to keep it running, so go join and pay your due$.

DarrellP said:
HDTV Mag has been hurting for funds for years. Dale has invested a couple of million of his own dollars since 1989 to spearhead the HDTV revolution. Dale has probably done more for HDTV than any other individual on the planet. He only needs a few thousand subs to keep it running, so go join and pay your due$.

I don't know Dale - he may be a very fine person. But I would think doing more than any other person on the planet for HDTV would mean including Voom's HD line up in his HD guide. I didn't see any of the Voom HD channels there, which effectively eliminates a major chunk of HD programming. Also, blaming Voom does seem like an easy way out of having to explain his failure to deliver promised content to paid subscribers.

Anyway, all I was saying is that it sounded fishy, and it still does: there have not been any other reports of defaults by Voom, and Voom still seem to be advertising. One possible explanation may be that there is something else going on between Voom and Dale (thus no Voom listings in Dale's guide, no Voom payment to Dale, etc.)

In the last 2 weeks, I am seeing more Voom ads than ever beefore- BY FAR. HDTV Magazine is just a rinky-dink website that no one cares about.

I got upgraded to the bigger dish last week, and the installer said they are swamped with Voom installations.

There's no way that VOOM is going away in the near future...

Has anyone verified this.
I looked on the website, and saw no mention of VOOM, one way or the other.
I did see a questionnaire on if the website was worth paying for, and how much.

Please point to where it says Voom did not pay, or that Voom is at fault for their woes.

They changed the message. It mentioned voom at first, now it's gone.

BFG said:
They changed the message. It mentioned voom at first, now it's gone.

The check must have been in the mail. lol Lots of strange things for a company that everyone says is closing its doors in less than 10 hours.

GreatMac said:
But I would think doing more than any other person on the planet for HDTV would mean including Voom's HD line up in his HD guide. I didn't see any of the Voom HD channels there,
I had all of my OTA, Dish HD and Voom HD setup in my personal page, but since the guide is down, I don't know if they quit including Voom due to a pissing war. I wouldn't blame him one bit if someone advertised with me and didn't pay, I wouldn't support them either.

You may not know Dale, but he is a person of extremely high integrity, I've dealt with him and the guide for the past 5 years.

klen said:
the installer said they are swamped with Voom installations.

I also had my dish upgraded last week to the 24”, and the installer said the same thing. He also said that he was installing more Voom in the last month than D* or E*.

Re: HDTV Magazine

Hi all,

I'm just now getting back into the "Forum" scene, but it looks like there has been quite a bit of talk about HDTV Magazine wrt Voom. Allow me to clarify things a bit:

Voom was an exclusive advertiser on our site from September through December of last year. As I understand things, their debts are now paid in full, but the first dime was not received until about 4 weeks ago. As a result, Dale did have to close down shop on February 1st of this year. This affected not only his (~3000) daily magazine subscribers, but also shut down the Program Grid Guide since we could no longer afford the data.

The good news is that we have reformed the magazine, along with a new website, and relaunched it on March 1st. The data has returned to the Program Grid Guide as well, but this time subscriber-, rather than advertiser-, supported (although inexpensive). The daily email subscription service has not yet been re-established as Dale and I struggle to see what can be offered as part of this service ... but it is coming.

Regarding the missing Voom channels, this was due simply to the data feed that was cut-off.

Regarding the comment the HDTV Magazine is "just a rinky-dink website that no one cares about" ... I don't know if this was just said in defense of Voom, or if you have some other concrete data to back this up ... but we do fairly well in terms of traffic.

If there's anything I didn't address adequately in this reply, or if you would like further insight into recent events here at HDTV Magazine, please reply and let me know.

Cheers,

- Shane Sturgeon

LunkHead said:
They closed up shop because ONE advertiser did not pay on time??? LOLOLOL

Yes. Our agreement with Voom was as an "Exclusive", which means they were our sole advertiser during that period (Sept. - Dec.).

Now consider the fact that just the data for the Grid Guide exceeded $4000/month and you won't be laughing so loud.

Cheers,

- Shane Sturgeon

Sorry to hear about your problems and glad to see you back on-line! Also glad to hear that VOOM has finally made all payments in full! As you can see betting your business survival on a timely payment of a single advertiser is never a good idea. (Which reminds me... a few days ago Bill Gates in one of his telecasts was digging his memories of early Microsoft days... how paranoic he was about being able to stay afloat for one year even if ALL his customers go bankrupt at once...)

Anyway, welcome back, and hope you will find a way to make your Excellent Program Grid free to all subscribers, as it was before. Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts