Voom dies when first turned on

pandawoods

Mar 16, 2004
My routine involves getting up at 5 a.m. and turning on my TV to check the news and sports channels. For the past few weeks, when I turn on the Voom STB, I get a black screen on my TV with the Voom logo in the middle and the words, "Starting, Please Wait" at the bottom. This will stay up for about 20 seconds, then disappear, and the STB will turn itself off. When I turn on the STB again, the channels are there and come in fine, but the program guide gives me no info on the programs, telling me "(no info)" for everything, meaning I have to leave the STB on throughout the day to replenish the PG The next morning, the same thing happens. Is there something going on I don't know about, or am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance for any help.

:confused:

What kind of outlet is the STB plugged in to? Sounds like it might be losing power each night.

The STB no longer needs to be turned off each night, apparently Voom can update the software as long as the box is plugged in. I just leave the box on all the time now.

I leave mine on 24/7 since I do a lot of recording and I even got Sci Fi ok without requiring a reboot.

I had a wierd, perpetual reboot happening yesterday. I turned off my t.v., and let Voom boot all the way up (I just gave it some time, since I obviously couldn't see what was happening since the t.v. was off). After I turned the t.v. back on, all was well. This was only relevant because my t.v. is connected using DVI...

Thanks for the suggestions. The STB is plugged into the same surge processor as the rest of my sound and vision equipment. If it were the outlet, I'd have to re-program some of the other equipment, too, so I don't think that's it. I'll leave it on over the weekend and see if it helps. I'll report back in on Monday and let you know how it went. Thanks again.

pandawoods said:
Thanks for the suggestions. The STB is plugged into the same surge processor as the rest of my sound and vision equipment. If it were the outlet, I'd have to re-program some of the other equipment, too, so I don't think that's it. I'll leave it on over the weekend and see if it helps. I'll report back in on Monday and let you know how it went. Thanks again.

Make sure that the STB is plugged into an "always on" outlet. Mine surge processor has some outlets "always on" but not all of them.

I left the STB on 24/7 for the last four days, and it's working fine - no lock ups or re-booting. So "always on" will be SOP in the future. I still wonder why it needed to re-boot every time I switched it off? Anyway, thanks for all the input. You guys rock!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)