Status
Please reply by conversation.

gireesh

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 17, 2005
Has anyone attempted this?

Will it work, with a linear LNB?

For example, T5's EIRP in my area is 50 dbW, which only requires a 55cm dish aperture, VOOM dish is 62cm.

Thanks

moving to FTA area

a 24" MAY work, but a 30" is usually the minimum. You might be able to get some of the stronger transponders with that.

Well, set it up with a ASC322 Ku Linear LNB, I can get a signal of 75% on some transponders, but no quality what so ever.

I am at 32.2N 96.66W, therefore need no skew for this bird.

Is it possible that the LNB is bad, I just purchased it a week ago.

Or there is no quality because there is too much interference, because of the size.

I would try to tweak it by moving the dish ever so slowly and waiting. Since the dish is smaller, it takes a while (when I did the 18" test rig a while back and the 24", I moved it 1/8" and waited 5 seconds before trying again.

Looks like I am picking up 99W instead of 97W... will confirm later today and starting moving the dish west in tiny increments!

By the way, VOOM is an oval dish with offset LNB. Why the offset?

99 doesn't have anything on it DVB. What receiver are you using?

you would go east (if standing behind the dish it would be to the left) :)

Funny I would see this thread today. I just got my 24" Voom dish in the mail today. Plan on using it for the stronger transponders on IA6. Is there a thread that gives some good explanations or pics for fastening a Linear LNB to a circular LNB dish? I have a bunch of hose clamps, screws and masking tape. What works best??

Vacosta, Sadoun carries clamp that should fit the Voom dish. If I had known, I would have gone that route, instead of buying the ASC322 LNB, which is the same form factor as the DTV32+ that came with the VOOM dish from Miami... by USPS priority... yours too? I think the LNB is giving me most of the problems.

Choose the second item in Sadoun's LNB holder list.

Iceberg, I am using Twinhan PCI card, the low profile version 1022.

I am picking up DVB on 99W, 3780... C-Band, very strange, the EIRP for that Tp is 42 dbW in my area, Tp I am looking for in T5 is way stronger than that.

I am going try again tomorrow evening to see if I can make this work. I have a Globecast dish on order, but if I can get away with it, I like to use VOOM dish, less wind resisance when mounted on the facia etc. I think I need a better LNB

gireesh - Thanks for the tip! I will definately purchase a couple of these holders from Sadoun. My dish came from a former Voom customer in Dallas. I got a 24" with the DTV32 and a 20" without LNBF for a whopping $16 w/ shipping. Did your Voom dish come from a warehouse in Miami? If mine works out, I will looking into purchasing another.

You are welcome. Mine did come from a warehouse in Miami. I think this guy has over 200 VOOM dishes with him that he is getting rid of. He is acutioning them off on ebay. Shipping from Miami is quite expensive!

And the good news is...

I locked on to T5 last evening...

When you are trying to lock on to T5, it is better not to use a signal meter if you know you have the more or less correct azymuth. Get a $7 compass from Sports Authority or somewhere with 2 degree markings.

The problem with the signal meter is that it picks up Gallaxy IIIC which is at 95W and has circular polarized signal which are much stronger than the 97W linears. The signal meter will drive you towards G IIIC... especially, if you don't have a STB, I have a PCI DVB card.

Once I stopped paying attention to the signal meter and started tuning with ProgFinder, I was able to lock on to 97W in minutes. 90 to 100% quality and 40 to 80% signal strength with a 150' RG6 run onto the Twinhan. I watched 97W for a couple of hours last evening with very few drop outs.

I am sure a better, more sensitive and high stablity LNB will provide much better results.

So, if you can get a linear LNB, you can watch T5 on a VOOM dish, if you are in the south central US. Remember, my coords are 33.2N and 96.66W, almost along the longitude the T5 is positioned!

Well, my Globecast 75E is now up and functional, so the VOOM dish has been retired.

gireesh said:
I am picking up DVB on 99W, 3780... C-Band, very strange, the EIRP for that Tp is 42 dbW in my area, Tp I am looking for in T5 is way stronger than that.

It is not possible to pick up C band on a 20" dish, nor with the LNB you are using. If you are picking up a feed, it is probably IA6 at 93W or AMC1 at 103W

If you had it set to C-band 3780 (meaning, the program was assuming a 5150 LO), but had a standard LNB (assuming a 10750 LO), you were actually looking at Ku 12120.. or 11970 if you were using a Universal.. There is an ABC feed at 11970, and Fox feed on 12121 on IA6, so it could have been either of them.

gireesh said:
The problem with the signal meter is that it picks up Gallaxy IIIC which is at 95W and has circular polarized signal which are much stronger than the 97W linears. The signal meter will drive you towards G IIIC... especially, if you don't have a STB, I have a PCI DVB card.

G3C at 95W is Linear, not Circular. The closest Circular birds are Nimiq 1/3 at 91W, and DirecTV 1/2/4 at 101W.

The problem is the size of your dish, makes the beamwidth very wide, since there isnt much of a "dish" shape to it.. The same reason the MicroBUDs pick up adjacent satellites too. Less "dish", less focus, more chance of picking up adjacent signals, and much less gain.

gireesh said:
So, if you can get a linear LNB, you can watch T5 on a VOOM dish, if you are in the south central US. Remember, my coords are 33.2N and 96.66W, almost along the longitude the T5 is positioned!

you could also see G3 and probably IA6 with no issues. These are at 95 & 93

I'm at 45N 93W and took a 24" dish a while back and got Galaxy 11 (91), IA6, G3 and IA5 with no issues :)

Thanks for your explanations... learned something new... that is always a good thing! Now a statement that I read about larger dishe's ability to "reject" other satellites makes sense.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts