Voom @ Forbes.com

CWS_kahuna

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 21, 2004
California
Saw an interesting article about Voom @ Forbes.com. I thought those of you subscribed to Voom might be interested in reading it. I tried to see if somebody else posted it but I did not see that it was, but if it was I apologize.

Article:---> Voom @ Forbes

Some Highlights:
First impression: Even the standard-definition television programs shown in the regular 4:3 aspect ratio were noticeably crisper and more vivid than over the DirecTV HD system. Dennis Kron, special installations manager, said that's because Voom's satellite transmissions are less compressed. In other words, Voom devotes a much wider section of its bandwidth to each of its channels, whether high-def or standard.

Voom executives plan to have enough satellite capacity by the end of 2005 to broaden their lineup to 94 high-def channels and more than 300 in standard definition.

Voom and DirecTV SD PQ

I have a Samsung DirecTV HD receiver so I can watch NFL Sunday ticket. Like the Voom, I hook it up to the component HD feed on my television.

DirecTV SD is unwatchable through either an S-video non-HD input or the component HD input. Both are so overcompressed they look like chalk pastel paintings. Voom SD, on the other hand, upconverts very well.

I used to watch all the NFL games for free on C-band, then they invented NFLST and I had to pay $59 a year for it on C-band, then DirecTV took it away and it's very expensive indeed.

For those who are interested, and in the same boat, it is possible to get NFLST on a Canadian DSS dish for a whole lot less money, I have recently discovered.

D* "promises" add ing new HD channels in the future and some say D* will leave Voom in the dust, thats assuming Voom comes to a stand still. This article says what I keep saying, Voom's in the race too. Don’t assume Voom has reached its goals in HD programming. I have both D* and Voom and prefer Voom way over D*. As soon as my contract with D* expires, I'll have no reason to keep D*. Voom is committed to HD, D* is not!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)