VOOM Goes BOOM - update Dish Drops all 15 VOOM Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
5-Star Max HD is not showing any movies in HD. The title of this thread should be changed to Dish Sucks.

Yes Dish does do this. They have admitted it in the past. Search for Google and Dish Network and you can see that they actually monitor and can tell advertisers how many people actually seen their ad on Dish Network.

It makes sense to me that they would. Just like in any other supply and demand business, if it ain't selling, drop it.

I was reading the WSJ this morning. The headline says it all.

Dish Network Loses Its Momentum

Source: WSJ.com

What an appropiate headline. This company really knows how to screw up, early in the day they add 22 HD channels and later the same day they remove 10 HD channels. Way to go Dish Network!

In all honesty, they should have dropped the voom channels sunday night, issues the "we need the space" press release monday, the bad numbers today, THEN try to turn the corner with good news of channel adds on wednesday. But hey, I only have a BS degree in Comm Studies w/ an emphasis on PR, what would I know??

I don't think so either., Infact it makes me want them more . Voom is a joke to begin with. Clean out the garbage and put in some real networks. BYE BYE VOOM!:neener:clap@party
Whatcha wanting to replace Voom? RFD HD? TV Land HD? Tru TV HD? E* just cut some REAL networks as far as I'm concerned. Not everyone's brain's work the same...I'm kind thinking you don't watch much History, Discovery or Science, if you think Voom sucks. I agree, however that Voom needs(ed) more fresh programming, and if they spread the programs out over the week/month rather than doing them in 4-6 hour loops, the Voom channels are about on par with HDNet, Smithsonian, and others.

Here I was thinking that Dish was doing something right......For about 12 hours I did.

Then they pull the rug from under us.

Why does this surprise you? Look at their track record!

I am all about Charlie trying to control costs, but has he? My bill 18 months ago was $100. Now it is $148.

However I cannot afford to switch with the investment I have in Dish equipment. Charlie know that, believe me.

Whatcha wanting to replace Voom? RFD HD? TV Land HD? Tru TV HD? E* just cut some REAL networks as far as I'm concerned. Not everyone's brain's work the same...I'm kind thinking you don't watch much History, Discovery or Science, if you think Voom sucks. I agree, however that Voom needs(ed) more fresh programming, and if they spread the programs out over the week/month rather than doing them in 4-6 hour loops, the Voom channels are about on par with HDNet, Smithsonian, and others.
We are going to get QVC HD soon! Yippee, another channel to lock out of the system.

I am all about Charlie trying to control costs, but has he? My bill 18 months ago was $100. Now it is $148.

However I cannot afford to switch with the investment I have in Dish equipment. Charlie know that, believe me.

I can afford to switch. I like many things about Dish. I will consider adding Directv depending on how this plays out. F#%! Dish.

How many $10 per month credits did you have 18 months ago??

Now that they are gone what is out there to replace them?

AMC HD
BBC America HD
CMT HD
Comedy Central HD
FX HD
Lifetime Movie Network HD
MTV HD
NickHD
Spike TV HD
TCM HD
VH1 HD
Fuel TV HD
IFC HD
Speed HD
HBO 2 HD
HBO Comedy HD
HBO Family HD
Showtime West HD
SHO Too HD
Starz Comedy HD
Starze Edge HD
Starz Kidz and Family HD

Pick any ten, I would suggest starting with the premiums first since VOOM was most akin to that type of programming. Then what? I always hear Spike, Speed, FX, BBC, Chiller (when it goes active to replace Monster), Nick (for the kids). That pretty much would replace all ten VOOM channels. Problem is FX and Speed won't happen anytime soon, we know that already. But you could come close. And I would guess the costs would be a wash pretty much. Maybe not.

The other possibility is this is a ploy by Charlie to get VOOM back in line and let him tier them with no fight. Then he gets them back, gets to split them up in the tiers and everyone gets the channels back. And he probably gets a new contract with them to cost him less money and forces them to spend more on programming.

I can afford to switch. I like many things about Dish. I will consider adding Directv depending on how this plays out. F#%! Dish.
I wouldn't switch, In Fact I'm looking at this as a positive. E* has a good HD line up with this new addition of channels. And For $30 Now It really can't be beat. Even with dropping 10 Voom channels.

What shows or movies are you all missing that was good? I hear everyone complainning ,but it sounds like most of you are mad because you just lost 10 HD channels. So what are you missing? So far Gameplay was good if your life is about Video games, HDnews is the only one from that axed list IMO was ok. And thats only because you can never have enough news. Lets hear what your missing? 10 True HD channels? Who cares, They never have any good content!

+1

Simple mathematics. You have a truly miserable quarter. You are loosing subs to d* (whether they admit it or not) because d* has more recognizable HD nationals. And yes, I can see that the hurting housing market can affect the matter as well:

But I suspect, the braintrust at e* probably looks at it something like this:

Service A offers: Ultra HD, Family Room HD, Gameplay HD, and Treasure HD.
Service B offers: Bravo HD, Disney HD, Travel Channel HD, and Cartoon Network HD.

The average customer is not aware of the lack of ANY (or at least hardly any) HD content on half of service B; but service B still sounds better because of brand recognition. Service B is more sell-able to the hoi polloi. If we want to attract NEW customers to our service, we need to try and lure with a chocolate bar, not brussle sprouts.

They also have to realize it will piss off some of the existing customers, but they probably figure they can attract more than they will loose with the change in programing.

Service A offers: Ultra HD, Family Room HD, Gameplay HD, and Treasure HD.
Service B offers: Bravo HD, Disney HD, Travel Channel HD, and Cartoon Network HD.

The average customer is not aware of the lack of ANY (or at least hardly any) HD content on half of service B; but service B still sounds better because of brand recognition. Service B is more sell-able to the hoi polloi. If we want to attract NEW customers to our service, we need to try and lure with a chocolate bar, not brussle sprouts. .
Agree, Voom is only known byE* HD customers and Cablevision HD Customers. A wopping estimated 2 million customers if not less. Theirs 17 million of D* customers that don't care about Voom and atleast 100 million cable subscribers.

Agree, Voom is only known byE* HD customers and Cablevision HD Customers. A wopping estimated 2 million customers if not less. Theirs 17 million of D* customers that don't care about Voom and atleast 100 million cable subscribers.
And don't forget D*s ad last month referring to Voom as "some channels you've probably never heard of". The five they kept are fine by me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts