VOOM Goes BOOM - update Dish Drops all 15 VOOM Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
As always, for different periods of time one provider is better than the other. Then they switch. I dont have DirecTV but it wouldnt surprise me if the question of best quality has changed in their favor. To counter Dish should increase theirs somehow to be the best again. At least thats they way it should be. Isnt the free market great?

I have no dount that dish will catch up but the thing is what do they have that Directv doesnt. There is nothing unique.

I doubt that would ever happen but Charlie seems to be making some questionable decisions lately. This might have some stockholders nervous. First the big fib before Voom was taken off, the Voom feasco, and all these legal problems. I would be a little nervous if I owned stock in E*.

charlie controls the majority of voting shares. Unless he makes himself nervous that is not going to happen. Many of you will not like reading this but i doubt that Harlie or even the other stockholders area supset about VOO as you are. I would love to see it back but it is not likely to happen.

Last edited:
I have no dount that dish will catch up but the thing is what do they have that Directv doesnt. There is nothing unique.

D* has enough bandwidth to carry 150 National HD channels with the current birds in the air. This means D* may add all HD channels as they release over the next two years.

It will take E* many years to get enough birds in orbit to match that.

D* is fully capable of staying one or two satellites ahead of E* for years to come too.

DirecTV chose to stay with mainstream HD and rejected Voom many times.

Voom made Dish unique, offering something no other satellite service could.

Now Dish has chosen to follow DirecTV and go with mainstream HD channels too. If I wanted that, I would have chosen DirecTV. Now that both are going the same route, it makes sense to go with the company already established with mainstream HD and the satellites to deliver it.

I'm not paying $125 a month to wait for Dish to catch up anymore.

Research

D* has enough bandwidth to carry 150 National HD channels with the current birds in the air. This means D* may add all HD channels as they release over the next two years.

It will take E* many years to get enough birds in orbit to match that.

D* is fully capable of staying one or two satellites ahead of E* for years to come too.

From this statement it shows you don't believe that E* will have another bird up this fall. Then one more up early next year. That isn't years that is months.

what is the capacity difference of the 129 vs what they are launching this fall to replace it with?

If every one of us who is upset by what's been going on were to buy one share of Dish Network stock, and show up at the next board meeting, I wonder if that could accomplish anything?

If every one of us who is upset by what's been going on were to buy one share of Dish Network stock, and show up at the next board meeting, I wonder if that could accomplish anything?

You would perhaps have a chance to air your grievance but if the goal is what the earlier poster mentioned that can't happen. But it si always possible that the protest will have some long term success even though it does not bring about that result immediately.

But be aware that the effort may backfire as well. if you son't get any significant support it may hurt your cause not help it.

Last edited:

Since Charlie owns like 80+% of the votes (his shares count 10x votes)...

DIRECTV will continue to have more satellite capacity than Dish even with the launch of E11, Ciel-2 and the Mexican bird at 77. DIRECTV could carry all the local stations in HD, but Dish should be able to carry most of them, and as one can see by past performance Dish is more likely to carry smaller markets than DIRECTV even if DIRECTV has the capacity. So, I do not expect DIRECTV to really pull ahead of Dish in this reguard.

National HD capacity DIRECTV will still have more capacity than Dish on the western set of satellites, but not by a big margin. The eastern set of 3 satellite slots all in MPEG-4 actually has more capacity than DIRECTV. Dish in theory could carry 300+ HD channels on EA. It becomes an issue if they start to carry HD out east that is not available in the west, how do they manage that?

actually ergen and his wife control 61.9% of the votes---although at least one recent SEC filing shows a higher percentage. So if the goal is to remove him no that can't happen. But if the goal is just to express dissatisfaction well you are welcome to try. 1 share x the number of people may not be as great as some of you think but you never know what influence it will have.

BTW everyone just seems to be assuming that Ergen is behind all this. At one point he controlled such moves. Nowadays though he is not as involved. He may not even be directly responsible for some of what you are upset about. But still it is certainly your right to try this and to be honest I like the idea of actually trying to do something vs talking about doing something.

Last edited:
DirecTV chose to stay with mainstream HD and rejected Voom many times.

Voom made Dish unique, offering something no other satellite service could.

Now Dish has chosen to follow DirecTV and go with mainstream HD channels too. If I wanted that, I would have chosen DirecTV. Now that both are going the same route, it makes sense to go with the company already established with mainstream HD and the satellites to deliver it.

I'm not paying $125 a month to wait for Dish to catch up anymore.

I have to agree with you on all of this which is why i'm reconsidering going to D even if their dvr is a little less reliable. staying for my vip622 isn't doing it for me anymore.

From this statement it shows you don't believe that E* will have another bird up this fall. Then one more up early next year. That isn't years that is months.
You must also realize that D* won't be sitting idle waiting for E* to catch up over the next 6-12 months. D* is competitively priced and, if nothing else, will continue to offer Sunday Ticket. Plus, D* does a much, much job of marketing their wares than E*. Dish Network could be in for a bumpy strech and, as it has been suggested by industry analysts, they could actually lose subscribers during 2nd quarter (April-June).

DIRECTV will continue to have more satellite capacity than Dish even with the launch of E11, Ciel-2 and the Mexican bird at 77. DIRECTV could carry all the local stations in HD, but Dish should be able to carry most of them, and as one can see by past performance Dish is more likely to carry smaller markets than DIRECTV even if DIRECTV has the capacity. So, I do not expect DIRECTV to really pull ahead of Dish in this reguard.

National HD capacity DIRECTV will still have more capacity than Dish on the western set of satellites, but not by a big margin. The eastern set of 3 satellite slots all in MPEG-4 actually has more capacity than DIRECTV. Dish in theory could carry 300+ HD channels on EA. It becomes an issue if they start to carry HD out east that is not available in the west, how do they manage that?

this is what i've been thinking for awhile now but i think by the end of August or September we'll know more on what direction both of these providers are going. EA will be up&running, E11 will be up&running plus D11 for D will be functioning as well. This is what i'm waiting for to make a decision. If D is the way to go well so be it. If staying with E is the right choice that's fine too.

has anyone heard if cablevision renewed the Voom contract? Wasn't it today when contract expired?

has anyone heard if cablevision renewed the Voom contract? Wasn't it today when contract expired?

Today would be the last day. If it is gone tomorrow that would certainly bea bad sign. But if i is still there without an announcement then the two sides might have just agreed to continue carriage until negotiations are settled.

only on this board have I seen speculation that Cablevison will drop VOOM. i have no idea how informed that speculation might be.

That would be nice if I lived on the East Coast. That is horrible information for someone like me currently in California and moving to Hawaii.

How many years before Dish Network launches enough birds to service the West Coast. And then how many more years before they can cover Hawaii too?

DirecTV has the West Coast and Hawaii already covered. This information just drives into my head the incredible long wait I would have if I stuck with Dish.

I'm not waiting for Dish with only 10 HD channels in Hawaii when DirecTV has full HD services nation wide TODAY (not sure of Alaska).

E11, Ciel-2 and the Mexican bird at 77 still need to be launched without setbacks, explosions, or other failures. So far Dish is has 1 failure out of 4 with 3 to go.

Today would be the last day. If it is gone tomorrow that would certainly bea bad sign. But if i is still there without an announcement then the two sides might have just agreed to continue carriage until negotiations are settled.

only on this board have I seen speculation that Cablevison will drop VOOM. i have no idea how informed that speculation might be.

The Cablevision board seems more concerned about the Voom Pak now requiring a cable card and/or new receiver.

Does not seem to make sense that Cablevision would move Voom channels to an MPEG-4 where they are required to upgrade receivers if they are going to also drop them.

It also makes little sense for the parent company to drop it's own product now. Cablevision is the only thing that will help keep Voom alive during the court trials. If it looks like Voom is winning in court, they could afford to let voom go then, but it seems premature and unlikely to drop them immediately just because Dish had a cow.

The Dish/Voom Boom should not have much weight in Cablevision's relationship with Voom.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)