VOOM Goes BOOM - update Dish Drops all 15 VOOM Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
That would make sense if D* werent doing the same thing in regards to sats. They just launched one that goes on line later this year, and have another that is slated for next year(?)

In the end, capacity will be fairly equal

It will be interesting to see exactly where E*'s going to put all their satellites in order to build their easten and western arc systems, which looks like two competly seperate systems, so could they actually end up with less bandwidth?

Either way, both companies will have plenty of room and DISH will not need to switch out channels after that.

Of course, we know that DISH/Voom is a legal matter, not a bandwidth matter.

Either way, both companies will have plenty of room and DISH will not need to switch out channels after that.

Of course, we know that DISH/Voom is a legal matter, not a bandwidth matter.

True, but you mentioned about the three sats going up and expanding Dish's capacity. If they need to build a duplicate system, replace the lame duck bird at 129 and add a bunch of HD LIL markets how much will they really end up with?

Dont know if thats true

How can you not know if it's true?

DISH was paying Voom $3.50 or more per month per subscriber. Now they aren't.

They ARE paying Smithsonian, WFN, and MGM. While it's true that we don't know how much they are being payed, I know enough about the business to know that it isn't anywhere close to $3.50 total. A basic channel that costs $1 is considered very high end and expensive. It could be as little as 5 cents for WFN. But let's say it's as high as $2 a month for the three of them...which is doubtful. DISH is still pocketing $18 a year extra for each subscriber to that package.

It's probably much higher.

EDIT:Here are some fees for major channels
TNT: 91 cents
Disney Channel: 83 cents
USA Network: 51 cents
CNN: 46 cents
TBS: 44 cents
Nickelodeon: 43 cents
FX: 36 cents

There's NO WAY Smithsonian +WFN+MGM is even a whole dollar total. DISH is pocketing $30 or more extra per year per subscriber.

True, but you mentioned about the three sats going up and expanding Dish's capacity. If they need to build a duplicate system, replace the lame duck bird at 129 and add a bunch of HD LIL markets how much will they really end up with?
I suspect that the plan is to put E11 at 110, move E8 to 129w for CONUS transponders, and use the new Ciel-2 at 129w for spotbeaming HD-LiL. The 3rd new satellite probably goes to 61.5w to replace E3, or maybe to 77w. They're already planning on moving E6 to 72.7w, so that's another bandwidth gain without having to launch another satellite.

Using the capacity they have, and the new satellites, they can migrate their SD channels to MPEG-4 using fewer transponders, while they maintain the MPEG-2 versions until all the subs have MPEG-4 receivers. When it's all said and done, MPEG-4 will give Dish quite a bit more capacity.

Funny response from DISH on VOOM

So I sent an email to ceo@dishnetwork.com asking about VOOM and asking them if they will give a rebate or lower their prices because they took away these channels.... Their response??? They listed a side-by-side chart showing ALTERNATE channels showing similar programming as VOOM.... Of course they completely ignored my question about a lower price or rebate. Here is their full response, and yes, I did laugh out loudly reading this...

Dear Customer,
Thank you for your e-mail. Effective immediately the VOOM HD line-up can no longer be viewed by our customers. DISH Network continues to be the leader in providing the best movies, sports and entertainment in High Definition. In order to provide you with top quality entertainment, DISH Network continually evaluates and at times, makes changes to our channel line-up. We plan to use this opportunity to introduce exciting new HD channels offering a breadth and depth of programming that better complements our already robust HD offerings.

DISH Network understands it may feel like DISH is removing your favorite programming, but check out the comparable HD programming that is available!

VOOM Channel Alternative Programming Channel #
Monsters HD Chiller (Only available in SD) 199
Rave HD MHD 9469
Rush HD Universal HD, HD Net 9427, 9422
Specific HD Movies HD Net Movies, Universal HD, and Premiums in HD 9423, 9427

Also check out the following exciting new channels that will be available in the DISH HD Package!
ABC Family HD (DISH Network Ch. 180)
Biography HD (Ch. 119)
Bravo HD (Ch. 129)
Cartoon HD (Ch. 176)
Cinemax 5 Star (Ch. 381)
Cinemax HD West (Ch. 380)
Comcast Sports Network Bay Area HD (Ch. 419)*
Comcast Sports Network New England HD (Ch. 435)*
CNBC HD (Ch. 208)
CNN HD (Ch. 200)
Disney HD East (Ch. 172)
ESPNews HD (Ch. 142)
Hallmark Movie Channel HD (Ch. 187)
MGM HD (Ch. 385)
Sci Fi HD (Ch. 122)
Smithsonian HD (Ch. 374)
Tennis Channel HD (Ch. 400)
Toon Disney HD (Ch. 174)
Travel Channel HD (Ch. 215)
USA HD (Ch. 105)
Weather Channel HD (Ch. 214)
World Fishing Network HD (Ch. 396)

*Launch Wednesday, May 14

Watch for even more high definition channels over the upcoming weeks as DISH Network grows to over 100 national HD channels by end of year. For additional information please visit HYPERLINK "http://www.DishNetwork.com/HDupdate" DISH Network -- Dish HD. Thank you for being a DISH Network customer.

Your business is greatly appreciated and we thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please refer to DISH Network -- Home or reply to this email.

Sincerely,

DISH Network E-Care

football heads

The thing I like the least about HD lite is football heads. I don't get why they would take a panned and scanned version of a movie and stretch it. It's even worse when it's one of those variable stretch things where the heads expand the closer they get to the margins of the screen. Does anybody know what kind of monstrous disrespect for the original aspect ratio inspires this desecration?

There's NO WAY Smithsonian +WFN+MGM is even a whole dollar total. DISH is pocketing $30 or more extra per year per subscriber.

I imagine the commercial-free premium might be a little more, so I could see it costing more than a dollar—maybe $1.50 for all three. Still, nowhere near Voom's price.

So I sent an email to ceo@dishnetwork.com asking about VOOM and asking them if they will give a rebate or lower their prices because they took away these channels.... Their response??? They listed a side-by-side chart showing ALTERNATE channels showing similar programming as VOOM.... Of course they completely ignored my question about a lower price or rebate. Here is their full response, and yes, I did laugh out loudly reading this...

_

I would respond and point out that they did not actually answer our question. I did that ince and they were more helpful. I am not saying you will get a reduction just that it might allow you to speak your mind.

Everyone got that e-mail.

However, I sent an e-mail to HDNet, complaining that I could no longer justify subscribing to HDNet Movies since DISH gives us so little else in the same package. I got an e-mail back within a couple hours from Mark Cuban's address...I'm sure it was from an assistant, but it simply said "We are aware this is an issue, and we are working on it."

Cuban sued DirecTV over their tiering a few months back. This should be interesting.

In any case, I'd rather get a 1 line response from an assistant than an INSULTING form e-mail. I have been a DISH defender for ages, but this might be the last straw for me. I'm not ready to switch yet, but I'm ready to fight.

I imagine the commercial-free premium might be a little more, so I could see it costing more than a dollar—maybe $1.50 for all three. Still, nowhere near Voom's price.

You'd be surprised how cheap some of those channels are. MGM is basically just leveraging assets they already own. In other words...leave "Ghost Ninjas" in the vault and make nothing, or sell a new channel and make a few pennies.

Still, even at $1.50...we're still getting ripped off.

Everyone got that e-mail.

However, I sent an e-mail to HDNet, complaining that I could no longer justify subscribing to HDNet Movies since DISH gives us so little else in the same package. I got an e-mail back within a couple hours from Mark Cuban's address...I'm sure it was from an assistant, but it simply said "We are aware this is an issue, and we are working on it."

Cuban sued DirecTV over their tiering a few months back. This should be interesting.

In any case, I'd rather get a 1 line response from an assistant than an INSULTING form e-mail. I have been a DISH defender for ages, but this might be the last straw for me. I'm not ready to switch yet, but I'm ready to fight.

Where can I email Hdnet. I agree with you I am not ready to switch just yet but I will fight because I believe we should have our variety back.

Where can I email Hdnet. I agree with you I am not ready to switch just yet but I will fight because I believe we should have our variety back.

HDNet About Us

Just remember, be complimentary! I didn't technically "complain" to them...just told them I was sorry I couldn't justify paying for their service any more, even though I love it.

Anyone want to have some Photoshop fun?

1965tareytonad.jpg

It sure is quiet at my house without Voom. The title of this thread says Voom goes Boom, but I do not hear anything, just silence, in fact Voom does not make any noise at all at my house because it is not there anymore.

Anyone else here keeps going to the channels like they were still there as if you hope they will be there? Sadly I do this.

"HD available......."
"Monsters HD Chiller (Only available in SD) 199 "

Uh, what exactly does that mean? Its available in HD, yet it is only available in SD :)

Yeh, let's wait till you really find out what it's going to cost you. Check around on the threads. Barely anyone is moving. Who wants to fork out 3-$400.00 for what will be a draw in a three or four months. Grass is alway greener on the other side until you have to pay the toll to get there.

scaremongering is probably the only thing that Dish has left right now - i made the switch to Directv a few weeks ago .. cost was $100 upfront ... discounts over the next two years are around $5-600 .. it'll be two years before my directv service will start to cost more than my dish service and even then - it will only be $3 per month more.

Not only did the grass look greener .. when i got over the other side of the fence .. it smelled more like grass , it tasted like cotton candy , and it felt like pure silk.

I'm more than happy - don't let a few fanatics put you off ... do your own research - do the math and do what is right for you in your own situation - anyone making blanket statements about any service provider is blowing smoke out of their butt as they have no idea what hardware you need and what programs you watch. Only YOU can make the decision to jump.

"HD available......."
"Monsters HD Chiller (Only available in SD) 199 "

Uh, what exactly does that mean? Its available in HD, yet it is only available in SD :)

Chiller HD isn't on the air yet, though it was supposed to be out in March.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CONGRATS ECHOSTAR! 922 wins best of CES award!

Just wanted to say THANKS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)