VOOM Goes BOOM - update Dish Drops all 15 VOOM Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
HBO - Fresh and Exciting New Content - Always new and never repeated

Just the A's for the month of May:

(2006) ACCEPTED A college reject enlists fellow slackers to create a fake college in this comedy. Justin Long. (AC,AL) PG13-1:33. HBO May 1,10,18,21,27,30C5EH

(1997) AFFLICTION Against the backdrop of an icy winter, a small-town sheriff begins to break down. Nick Nolte and 1998 Best Supporting Actor Oscar® winner James Coburn star. (AC, AL,V) R-1:54. MAX May 8 CDEH

(2007) ALIVE DAY MEMORIES: HOME FROM IRAQ HBO Documentary Films The first-person stories of ten soldiers who survived being wounded in Iraq—as told to actor James Gandolfini. Widescreen. (AC,AL,V) TVMA/V,L-:57. HBO May 18,21,26 CSEH

(2006) ALPHA DOG A young L.A. drug dealer kidnaps a cash-strapped junkie’s little brother before taking things to a deadly new level. Ben Foster. (AC,AL,BN,V) R-1:58.
HBO May 1,11,20,30 C5EH

(1986) AN AMERICAN TAIL An immigrant mouse winds up on a wild adventure in New York City after being separated from his family in this Grammy®-winning animated-musical hit. G-1:20 HBO May 13,25,30CSEH

(1991) AN AMERICAN TAIL: FIEVEL GOES WEST Fievel the mouse leaves New York and its large and lethal cat population behind for an epic adventure in the Old West in this sequel.
G-1:15. HBO May 3,14 CSEH

(1994) ANDRE An orphaned harbor seal finds happiness with a Maine family in this family drama. Keith Carradine. (AL,MV) PG-1:35. HBO May 4,9,19 CDEH

(1990) ANOTHER 48 HRS. Jailbird Eddie Murphy and detective Nick Nolte are forced to reteam
when a drug king frames the cop and puts a contract on the con. (AL,GV,N) R-1:35.
MAX May 1,9,14,18,27 CDEH

(1999) ARLINGTON ROAD A professor fears his next-door neighbor may be a terrorist in
this thriller. Jeff Bridges, Tim Robbins. (AC, AL,V) R-1:58.MAX May 3,19CDEH

(2006) THE ASTRONAUT FARMER Billy Bob Thornton stars as a gutsy rancher who constructs a rocket in his barn that he plans to launch into space. (AC,AL) PG-1:44.
HBO May 3,9,13,18,22,24C5EH

(2006) AZULOSCUROCASINEGRO (DARKBLUEALMOSTBLACK)
A Spanish custodian struggles to realize his dreams while trying to meet the overbearing needs of his family. Quim Gutierrez, Marta Etura. (AC,AL, N,V) TVMA/V,S,L-1:41. MAX May 15 SE

(2006) ACCEPTED A college reject enlists fellow slackers to create a fake college in this comedy. Justin Long. (AC,AL) PG13-1:33. HBO May 1,10,18,21,27,30C5EH

(1997) AFFLICTION Against the backdrop of an icy winter, a small-town sheriff begins to break down. Nick Nolte and 1998 Best Supporting Actor Oscar® winner James Coburn star. (AC, AL,V) R-1:54. MAX May 8 CDEH

(2007) ALIVE DAY MEMORIES: HOME FROM IRAQ HBO Documentary Films The first-person stories of ten soldiers who survived being wounded in Iraq—as told to actor James Gandolfini. Widescreen. (AC,AL,V) TVMA/V,L-:57. HBO May 18,21,26 CSEH

(2006) ALPHA DOG A young L.A. drug dealer kidnaps a cash-strapped junkie’s little brother before taking things to a deadly new level. Ben Foster. (AC,AL,BN,V) R-1:58.
HBO May 1,11,20,30 C5EH

(1986) AN AMERICAN TAIL An immigrant mouse winds up on a wild adventure in New York City after being separated from his family in this Grammy®-winning animated-musical hit. G-1:20 HBO May 13,25,30CSEH

(1991) AN AMERICAN TAIL: FIEVEL GOES WEST Fievel the mouse leaves New York and its large and lethal cat population behind for an epic adventure in the Old West in this sequel.

(1994) ANDRE An orphaned harbor seal finds happiness with a Maine family in this family drama. Keith Carradine. (AL,MV) PG-1:35. HBO May 4,9,19 CDEH

(1990) ANOTHER 48 HRS. Jailbird Eddie Murphy and detective Nick Nolte are forced to reteam
when a drug king frames the cop and puts a contract on the con. (AL,GV,N) R-1:35.

(1999) ARLINGTON ROAD A professor fears his next-door neighbor may be a terrorist in

(2006) THE ASTRONAUT FARMER Billy Bob Thornton stars as a gutsy rancher who constructs a rocket in his barn that he plans to launch into space. (AC,AL) PG-1:44.

A Spanish custodian struggles to realize his dreams while trying to meet the overbearing needs of his family. Quim Gutierrez, Marta Etura. (AC,AL, N,V) TVMA/V,S,L-1:41. MAX May 15 SE
This is the same amount Voom has for the entire year on 15 channels. ;)

Good point,

I think those non voom fans dont get it. Its not about you likeing or disliking voom its about what dish did.

I go back to point where if your favorites are HBO, suddenly they were removed.
Im sure you would be livid.

Thats where we are on this. Specialty HD programming which many of us came to dish for has been removed without our consent. They have inturn tried to fake us out with sub par substitues. This is deplorable.

Again whether you like a group of channels or not is a mute point.
What has been done here can happen ''again'' to anyone to ''any'' particular channels.

I will first say that I do miss the voom channels and would want them back...but having said that, do you really, I mean really believe that Dish needs to have our consent to do anything? It's not like they got our consent to add channels, why would you think they need our consent to remove them (especially considering they made it clear that they can change any of the programming at anytime when you joined).

Again, don't get me wrong as I would love to have the channels back as well, but lets be a little realistic here and remember that it's not like we are owners of the company and they need our consent for anything...

HBO May 1,11,20,30 C5EH

I do not watch HBO a whole lot except for Sunday nights when they have the premiere movies. But most of what has been posted above has been repeated many times. 48 hours how many times have I seen this in both HBO and Cinemax. The astronaut farmer. I first recorded when it was premiered but they are still showing endlessly. (2006) AZULOSCUROCASINEGRO was the first I saw on Max. But wait and you will see lots of repeats of the same in the future. Most of the premium contents are not any fresher than HDnet Movies. They have at most 10-15 movies which have never aired before in the channel and the rest are fillers from previous showing. To ignore this and think everything is fresh in any premium movie channel is just being silly.

I will first say that I do miss the voom channels and would want them back...but having said that, do you really, I mean really believe that Dish needs to have our consent to do anything? It's not like they got our consent to add channels, why would you think they need our consent to remove them (especially considering they made it clear that they can change any of the programming at anytime when you joined).

Again, don't get me wrong as I would love to have the channels back as well, but lets be a little realistic here and remember that it's not like we are owners of the company and they need our consent for anything...

The minute they charged us for these channels that were no longer on. I do agree with your statements- but a good business would have handled this a different way.

The "Premium" movie channels have been repeating the same movies hundreds of times a year for many more years than Voom has been around. Today's accessibility to new content is such that PREMIUM almost means nothing and many people are no longer paying the premium for them. The fact that we can get Cinemax for a penny for the whole year is proof of that.

Sure, Dish can do whatever they want. But they have to expect some backlash when they remove 15 channels of 24/7 HD, and replace them with 2 channels of 24/7 HD, and 12 channels of 2/7 HD (on the average), plus one premium HD channel. Let's do the math:

24*7*15=2520 hours of HD with VOOM, per week.
2*7*12=168 hours of HD per week with Disney, ABC-Fam, CNBC, ...

Let's add in MGM and Smithsonian as 24/7 HD:
168+(2*24*7=336)=504

So, we have a net reduction in HD programming of 2520-504=2016 hours per week, or 80% fewer HD hours per week.

Sorry Dish, you're cutting back services by 80% to your best customers (HD Ultimate pack) in this trade-off, with no reduction in programming fees. You need to know that there's some anger and disappointment out here.

Good business is not to just yank 15 channels that paying subs enjoy to one degree or another.

Good business is not trying tell a sub that MHD is just like Rave or Chiller in SD is just as good as Monsters HD.

Good business is not telling subs that more HD channels are coming "soon" and then giving vague dates like "by summer" and "by the end of the year".

I agree 100%, a good business would've handled the Voom situation differently. You shouldn't just take 15 HD channels away, add 22 other ones and then try to pass them off as being as good as or the same as the ones you removed.

Sure, Dish can do whatever they want. But they have to expect some backlash when they remove 15 channels of 24/7 HD, and replace them with 2 channels of 24/7 HD, and 12 channels of 2/7 HD (on the average), plus one premium HD channel. Let's do the math:

24*7*15=2520 hours of HD with VOOM, per week.
2*7*12=168 hours of HD per week with Disney, ABC-Fam, CNBC, ...

Let's add in MGM and Smithsonian as 24/7 HD:
168+(2*24*7=336)=504

So, we have a net reduction in HD programming of 2520-504=2016 hours per week, or 80% fewer HD hours per week.

Sorry Dish, you're cutting back services by 80% to your best customers (HD Ultimate pack) in this trade-off, with no reduction in programming fees. You need to know that there's some anger and disappointment out here.

Good point, you really put that in perspective and now I am even more mad about this.

Can anyone tell me if the Voom channels are still uplinked? If so why- are they difficult to remove?

Point in mind: Sci-Fi was showing Starship Troopers yesterday. I gave up watching it as soon as I realized that, besides tons of ads, the SD version was not in widescreen, and the "HD" version, even worse, was just an upconverted and stretch-o-visioned version of the SD broadcast!!!! AAARGGHHH...
Do they take us for imbeciles?
One thing is sure: I cannot drop Dish right now for lack of alternatives, but the loss of VOOM significantly weakened my loyalty to the brand.

Point in mind: Sci-Fi was showing Starship Troopers yesterday. I gave up watching it as soon as I realized that, besides tons of ads, the SD version was not in widescreen, and the "HD" version, even worse, was just an upconverted and stretch-o-visioned version of the SD broadcast!!!! AAARGGHHH...
Do they take us for imbeciles?
One thing is sure: I cannot drop Dish right now for lack of alternatives, but the loss of VOOM significantly weakened my loyalty to the brand.

It's unfortunate that what you see on USAhd or other channels is not unique to E*. It is the same garbage shown by all providers. VOOM was the only programming unique to this provider.

The minute they charged us for these channels that were no longer on. I do agree with your statements- but a good business would have handled this a different way.

true, but again they were not charging you for those specific channels, you were paying for a level of service and it is up to them to decide what they put on each level. As long as you are still receiving more than the lower level, then you were not being charged for something you didn't receive...it's up to the consumer to decide on their own if that level still remains a good value to them (and this question is different for everyone).

I understand and agree with what you are saying about handling it a different way. My only original point was about what I bolded (the comment about Dish needing our consent before they remove these channels).

This is like an amusement park having a "ride all day" pass, but when you get there you realize the ride you went for is no longer there and replaced with other rides that you do not enjoy as much. They are not charging you for that one ride, per se. From a publicity standpoint, these types of changes absolutely should be handled in a certain way so that at least the customers understand what is happening before it actually happens. Then the customer can decide if they want to pay for that "ride all day" pass (or level of service). But the decision itself on ride content (or channel content) rests only with the amusement park (or Dish) and they don't need their customer's consent to do anything.

Agreed, but for a guy that is crying because subscribers are down - is it really smart for E* to piss of their best customers? Its also interesting that Voom is getting the blame for sliding growth. Hasn't E* done pretty much nothing while D* has increased 10X. Doesn't D* have better marketing and is much better known. D* deserves the position they are in now- so does Charlie.

Agreed, but for a guy that is crying because subscribers are down - is it really smart for E* to piss of their best customers? Its also interesting that Voom is getting the blame for sliding growth. Hasn't E* done pretty much nothing while D* has increased 10X. Doesn't D* have better marketing and is much better known. D* deserves the position they are in now- so does Charlie.
E* is going to use the bandwidth to give us more of the same generic stuff that generic Americans are clamoring for. I can't say I blame them, just unfortunate that those that care have to lose something we found pretty valuable, to make room for the HD versions of these repetitive, generic SD channels. Too bad there apparently isnt room for both.

Point in mind: Sci-Fi was showing Starship Troopers yesterday. I gave up watching it as soon as I realized that, besides tons of ads, the SD version was not in widescreen, and the "HD" version, even worse, was just an upconverted and stretch-o-visioned version of the SD broadcast!!!!

I didn't see this particular broadcast, but I have not seen ANYTHING stretched on ANY of the Universal channels, let alone "Stretch-o-visioned"

As far as I can see, Scripps are the only ones still doing stretch-o-vision. Even Turner gave it up.

How many times is Discovery going to show "Supervolcano"?

Sorry havn't caught that show. I'm too busy watching new episodes of Dirty Jobs, and Mythbusters. Whens the last time that Voom had a new show that you couldn't see anywhere else? 2001?

:D

Its all TV. Don't get so worked up over it. If you like the Voom stuff, then download it on bittorrent, or however you want to get your media. There is this thing called HD-DVD also, they're cheap (now), and I'm sure there is newer releases than anything Voom is showing, why don't you invest in that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)