Voom Growing In Southern California

Tvlman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 29, 2004
Surf City.CA
Over the past few months I have shown off my VOOM to several friends who dropped by. A short time later I was surprised to discover that quite a few are now VOOM subscribers. One friend even subscribed with a 4:3 HDTV and has figured out how to eliminate the gray bars. The only one who hasn't subscribed lives in an apartment building and has an obstruction problem. After the new software the picture is even better and the signal is stronger. (96-99) And now that we can use Tivo with VOOM this makes it even more enjoyable.

Vooming in Santa MOnica and Loving it

I have had Voom in Santa Monica , California for four months and love it. All the elite HD crowd have heard about voom subscribe to it or are thinking about it. I was a dish network customer for four years now i subscribe to voom and luv the choice of premium programming in HD. I love movies and watch Starz , HBO and Movie Channel a lot. I watched the Italian Job just yesterday in 1081 on Starz, where else can you get such a picture and variety of programming. Plus the revolution is only beginning , wait till we get a PVR in HD, Voom will be even stronger.

Also vooming in Santa Monica and loving it.

Actually I had so many problems with OTA setup. The installer plus 3 service calls later and nobody could get OTA working due to obstruction. I ordered the newest Winegard Squareshooter--there is a new one that is also amplified. I installed myself on my balcony and even though there is a giant condo blocking I get excellent reception. Most of the time, I don't even need to plug in the amp for the antenna, but occasionally I do for some OTA channels.

Bottom line--VOOM is good, but Install inc. and all of the local installers really are no good. If you have patience and technical skill, then Voom can be nice.

By the way, the last service guy had no idea what a Squareshooter was. I purchased beforehand from Solid Signal and still even with my antenna the guy couldn't get it. He tried his and mine. Had to do it myself.

noliecanoli said:
Actually I had so many problems with OTA setup. The installer plus 3 service calls later and nobody could get OTA working due to obstruction. I ordered the newest Winegard Squareshooter--there is a new one that is also amplified. I installed myself on my balcony and even though there is a giant condo blocking I get excellent reception. Most of the time, I don't even need to plug in the amp for the antenna, but occasionally I do for some OTA channels.

Bottom line--VOOM is good, but Install inc. and all of the local installers really are no good. If you have patience and technical skill, then Voom can be nice.

By the way, the last service guy had no idea what a Squareshooter was. I purchased beforehand from Solid Signal and still even with my antenna the guy couldn't get it. He tried his and mine. Had to do it myself.

I too am in Santa Monica and had a very poor install from a guy named Thomas. He slapped my dish up and it was flapping in the breeze and I had to fix it myself. I had my own OTA that was working fine with DTV but the installer could never get teh OTA to pull in more than a few channels.

I had separate wires already pulled for SAT and OTA and he used a diaplexer module on my STB and stuck the OTA coxial into the UHF input. I fixed that as well. Sig went from 20-75 and then I got all my locals.

I like lots about Voom- Monsters, Rave, etc but the HD PQ ain't what Voom says it is.

But, I'm trying to hang in there. I was looking forward to the DVR in Sept. but now they say it's Jan., so....we'll see. I re-subbed to DTV and got Sunday ticket.

I am pulling for Voom to succeed but here in LA we have so many choices.