Voom increases illegally collected sales tax.

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
I noticed about a $1.00 increase in my bill this month on the illegally collected sales tax in my state. Anyone else?

Can they not even acknowledge it? And tell us what they are going to do about it?

sales tax of $4.68 this month on $103.90 for a total bill of $108.58. My normal bill used to be $107.70 until this month.

illegal tax?

Can't you file a FTC complaint? I bet you could. I cannot since I am not getting Voom yet... But this kinda cr*p ticks me off.

Here, in fact:
https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup?Z_ORG_CODE=PU01

Not sure if it will help, but.....

vurbano said:
Trying? they collect it dont they?

They haven't yet. They don't have a valid credit card number so they can't just steal it from me. Before I send in a check, I call and explain to them that I simply won't pay a tax that the Michigan Department of Treasury says they're not allowed to collect, and have them credit my account. So far, so good. They ran all that "escalated" crap on me and I told them I didn't really care what they did about it, that I just flat out won't pay it. And I won't.

LOL, I have sent them fact from the Georgia Department of revenue site stating that this is illegally to do and today I just gave up ,its been over 2 weeks now and today was it, I called them and was on the phone with them for over an hour while they were on the phone with billing, I was also complaining about being charged 2 times in one month ( Yes I use a CC ) + I was suppose to have a credit of $40 instead of a credit they added it to my account + raised my bill, that was all I could take they told me they would have to work on it and get back to me , that is what they told me 2 weeks ago , I said no , its time to disconnect , I really like Voom but they are not taking my money or getting anymore of it. Coming to get there equipment 8/23/04

LOBO2999 said:
I really like Voom but they are not taking my money or getting anymore of it.

Understandable. I hope it never comes to that with me. I suppose they could cancel me for not providing a valid CC, but I figure if I just keep paying my bill (minus $2.39) they'll let me hang around - why cancel a paying subscriber?

TheTimm said:
They haven't yet. They don't have a valid credit card number so they can't just steal it from me. Before I send in a check, I call and explain to them that I simply won't pay a tax that the Michigan Department of Treasury says they're not allowed to collect, and have them credit my account. So far, so good. They ran all that "escalated" crap on me and I told them I didn't really care what they did about it, that I just flat out won't pay it. And I won't.
How did you get service without giving them a credit card?

vurbano said:
How did you get service without giving them a credit card?
I didn't. When I ordered I gave them a credit card when they asked for one. I was told that this was for their security against the equipment I was leasing. This made sense to me. I was not told a word about autopay. So when I received a bill saying that they would charge my credit card on such-and-such a date, I called my credit card company and changed my account number.

alandail said:
if they sell services in your state, how can it be illegal to collect sales tax?
In my state anyway (Michigan - think Great Lakes, Kid Rock, and Pistons), services (including programming) are not subject to sales tax - only tangible personal property is. So if I bought the STB they could charge me sales tax on it, but other than that they're just stealing.

By law, in most places isn't it required that any company collect local or state sales/use taxes on equipment leases even if the satellite service itself is not taxable in the sate?

They are after all making money on the leases which would leave me to believe this is the case.

alandail said:
if they sell services in your state, how can it be illegal to collect sales tax?
The state does not require sales tax for out of state satellite service providers such as D*, V* etc. Or sales taxes on internet purchases out of state etc. Ive had directv before and their are no sales taxes. If the state doesnt require it then Voom is putting it in their own pockets under false pretenses. I believe that is a form of fraud?

From what I read and have been told by a GDOR person that sales tax can be collected on equipment rental by law ( This is my state , don't know about others) so they can charge me sales tax on $9.50 x $0.07 = $0.66 but thats it , not on programing. This is why D does not charge me sales tax because I own the equipment.