Voom installed, need hekp quick

smokeatr2000 said:
yes there are 2 connections I had them both hooked up and was swapping and noticed the comp conn. was a little sharper so I unhooked the dvi for now, Wife loves the pic on RAVE right now of jon mayer concert so I can't play with the tv, so I'm reading on here for different ways to use voom
Oh yeah that reminds me...
WELCOME TO VOOM :)

Thanks for all the help zombie , trying to figure what locals I should receive w/ the ota antenna they gave me. I went to antenna web and getting high 80's for all but 1 and there is a 99, crazy since they are all located on the same mountain.

smokeatr2000 said:
Thanks for all the help zombie , trying to figure what locals I should receive w/ the ota antenna they gave me. I went to antenna web and getting high 80's for all but 1 and there is a 99, crazy since they are all located on the same mountain.
May be related to their transmission power.. I know there are some sites out there that will show this info, but i cant remember where i found them.

zombie said:
My mits is a slightly older model and doesnt have DVI, so I dont know. I got suckered into the mits promise hype. They were supposed to release an upgrade module for the tv, and did but it never included dvi only firewire. They have since pulled all mention of the promise or promise module from their site :( ...

From what i've read comp seems to have less problems than dvi, but dvi is probbaly slightly better in most cases.. I would try both and see what you like..

And do you remember the price of the promise module?
Wasn't it $1000?
I wonder how many they sold?

zombie said:
My mits is a slightly older model and doesnt have DVI, so I dont know. I got suckered into the mits promise hype. They were supposed to release an upgrade module for the tv, and did but it never included dvi only firewire. They have since pulled all mention of the promise or promise module from their site :( ...

From what i've read comp seems to have less problems than dvi, but dvi is probbaly slightly better in most cases.. I would try both and see what you like..

And do you remember the price of the promise module?
Wasn't it $1000?
I wonder how many they sold?

Welcome to VOOM... :D Iam new to Voom also....I just got my new monster DVI cable today and i absolutely love. Can tell a big difference from the component. I still have the component hooked up also just in case the DVI acts up which has been known to happen with Voom.

texansgal--seems like th e problems with DVI are limited to a few different models of TV, mostly Sony. I've had the DVI connection going for over a year to my Pioneer without a problem. Good to hear that your DVI connection made a big difference over component.

What's the price running for the better DVI cable (monster).And one other question regarding ota locals, How do I get rid of the blackbars on my 20" non-hdtv its just squeezing locals only

smokeatr2000 said:

When you go to AntennaWeb enter your zip with the +4, that will get you down to the street level. If I just enter the five digit zip it gives me completely different info for the OTA then if I enter the zip w/+4.

Who did your install in B'ham?

smokeatr2000 said:
What's the price running for the better DVI cable (monster).And one other question regarding ota locals, How do I get rid of the blackbars on my 20" non-hdtv its just squeezing locals only

Well i paid $99 for my monster DVI/400 cable at best buy. But i heard you may be able to get them cheaper on the web. I just didn't want to wait. Best buy here in San Antonio today is supposed to be having a Rep demonstrate side by side the monster cable vs component/analog cables to show ppl there is a difference.

smokeatr2000 said:
let me know how it looks texansgal, after you see them both

Actually i can't go because i have to work....I would have liked to have seen it side by side. I wonder if they will be going to all the best buys??

your local is broadcasting a anolg program over a digital sinal and its not wide enuff to fill screen when the broadcast something hd it will go away

Just remember, when you are looking at Comp and DVI connections you will most likely need to adjust your color, contrast, etc etc, on your TV for best viewing results between the two types of connections. Most people see the Comp and the bright colors on a component connection and that looks great compared to the DVI which looks washed out. Go back and adjust the settings on your TV for the DVI connection and then compare. You will probably like the DVI better.

As for the expensive vs inexpensive DVI cables.....If the cable is only 6 to 8ft long there won't be any desernable difference. Where you "may" see a difference is if you run a 20 or 30ft DVI connection and who wants to pay that kind of money for that?