Voom is definitely a niche service

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

wasch_24

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 30, 2004
Nothern Virginia, D.C. Area
It would be interesting to see what a forum like this would have looked like during the first six months of D* and E* broadcasting. Heck, a lot of the problems we are experiencing even occurred when terrestrial cable companies started selling "digital" cable.

If you are happy with your current cable/satellite service for everyday watching then Voom is not going to replace these. Frankly I don't think that is what Voom intends to do. Voom is for those of us that are tired of suffering through SD because our multi-thousand dollar TV's aren't designed to use that signal effectively. It's kinda like using 87 octane gas in a $60,000 Mercedes. It won't hurt the car but the car definitely won't perform as designed.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the future Voom figures out a way to separate the SD programming from the HD programming. I know that most contracts stipulate that it's all or nothing, but I wonder if that means they can't have different packages with or without the SD programming. Why not offer an HD exclusive package for the same price or even a little more. I for one would be willing to pay a little extra to have all HD channels with no compression quirks due to filled up bandwidth. It seems to me that they should be able to negotiate a stipulation in the contracts that the SD programming would be available to those who want it but not necessarily forced on those who don't.

I don't know I guess I am just feeling philosophical this morning. The only thing I have my Voom connected to is my 65" HDTV. It never even crossed my mind to connect it to any other set in the house, HD or not. I have Voom strictly for the additional HD programming above and beyond the few hours during "Primetime" you get OTA. Shoot, I hardly ever have time to watch TV during "Primetime" anyway.

I would like to see packags like that HD on one side or you can have both SD & HD Like I replyed on other thread I just want the Bugs fixed in the softwear .also I said I would like more content but it will come in time. good post.

wasch_24 said:
If you are happy with your current cable/satellite service for everyday watching then Voom is not going to replace these. Frankly I don't think that is what Voom intends to do. Voom is for those of us that are tired of suffering through SD because our multi-thousand dollar TV's aren't designed to use that signal effectively.

Couldn't have said it better.

This is a great topic...Voom is definately an earely adopters dream come true. Lots of HD (programming is a different topic, but i have been able to impress many friends and family with the PQ on a few channels so far). Your car analogy is a good one too; there are lots of tv's being sold that are "HD" ready but have nothing HD displaying on them. (If you think a pro-scan DVD looks good, just wait for Sopranos on 1080i baby!)

I use Voom exclusively on the one tv in my apartment and i love it. I would like for them to add more channels (USA for the sporting events during the week, ESPN of course, HGTV maybe) but really, the majority is there. I do know that Voom will be among the first to broadcast any new SD station that goes HD because they want that market share. Comcast, D*, E* and the rest just have too many customers to really react.

I am an early adopter and i don't mind paying a little bit more for more HD, which means probably fewer subscribers than the 10s of millions the other guys have. And that's okay. That shouldn't be their goal. They should focus on getting into the high-end home theater stores and selling the heck out of the fact that they can make a $20,000 TV look like a piece of art!!!

I agree wholeheartedly. Due to all outputs hot at the same time, I got 2 STB's on the lease program and have one of them hooked up to my 27" analog TV for my roommate to use in the family room and he is thrilled at the picture quality.

Voom did replace E* for me, I got sick and tired of the lousy PQ on their SD channels so I dumped them about 4 months before I got Voom but kept the Dish HD Pack. I have yet to watch a single SD channel on Voom. Between the HD exclusives and the OTA HD that I have, I just don't have time for them.

vurbano said:
voom has replaced D* for me. Either could replace cable.

For me it is def. an addition to my D* system-I couldn't fathom losing D* relaibility for a service like Voom's which is fun to watch I admit, but by no means a relaible service as of yet-too sketchy Voom-get your Pq issues under control and maybe someday D* will be history in my home-DOUBT IT THOUGH!!!!

I would like to replace E* but at a minimun I need the SciFi channel so I can get Stargate: Atlantis in July :yes

Bill

Packages!

They definitely need to use MORE imagination on figuring ways to package these channels.....come on now, only 2 packages.....they really need to include more quality content in the basic package! They also really really need more quality content! Charging $14.50 per extra tier is ridiculous! Why not allow the purchase of 2 tiers for $14.50....they'd sell more in the long run I bet. Also $5 per extra box is enough! $9.50 per box is robbery!

:eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)