Voom is up and running

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
At avsforum, it has been reported that the Voom website is running with all kind of information. Check it out.

http://www.voom.com/see_it/index.jsp?
05.gif

Thanks! I got that information earlier but I didn't have time to post it.

We will be starting a VOOM section of the website and we are talking with a few folks from Cablevision / Voom

I don't get it, VOOM says it uses MPEG-2 and MPEG-4. How the hell do you get HDTV using MPEG-4?

I'm very suspecious of the 21 "exclusive" channels. I think they are going to be HDNet type channels showing older transfered film programs. I like how they advertise your local HD channels are free with off air antenna. Bet they don't mention that when they advertise there cable channels. :)

... and then there are folks complaining they won't get VOOM because of no HDnet. Go figure.

Competition is good. More HD channels is better. The "everything" pack for 30 until Feb is pretty good, as is the 30 day refund.

Would just assume going to Superdish before trying an add so I can use the existing 61.5 antenna.

Yeah I already have a Dish pointed at 61.5 and I also have a OTA antenna on my roof, do I get a discount for having the guy plus in the receiver and leave? :D

I don't get it, VOOM says it uses MPEG-2 and MPEG-4. How the hell do you get HDTV using MPEG-4?
They are re-encoding and recompressing their HDTV feeds (stat mux). They would simply re-encode and recompress in real-time using MPEG-4 instead of MPEG-2.

Based on posts by their vp of engineering, they plan to use MPEG-4 for SD in 2004, and MPEG-4 for some HD in 2005. MPEG-4 doesn't offer much benefit over MPEG-2 for 1080i, but it should help some for 720p.

The MPEG-4 support will come in the form of a plug-in module (not unlike the 6000) that will be shipped to all customers at some point next year. It might also be possible for them to upgrade their receivers to support H.264 or WM9 at some point, but that's yet to be determined.

The site was put up in test mode, it was not meant to be open the the public yet. :)

Hand in there and it should be up and ready by tommorow morning.

I can see the future. Everyone on these forums will be visting Sears this weekend.

I was up at Sears in Erie, PA. I wanted to see if they had a VOOM display or anything. The one salesman said that they would have a display starting tomorrow (10/1).

My point: Erie, PA is not a large city and our store seems to be getting a VOOM display

BTW...he also said that tomorrow marked the beginning of the end for Sears selling Dish Network equipment. He said that they will be selling VOOM exclusively. Another salesman who was listening in on the conversation said that he thought they were going to sell both. So...who knows...

The VOOM site is now up and running with just a front page that gives no programming info. It provides a page for you to register your interest in being contacted about VOOM services.

TimCL said:
The VOOM site is now up and running with just a front page that gives no programming info. It provides a page for you to register your interest in being contacted about VOOM services.

Thanks Tim! :D

TimCL said:

No info! Are they just testing how many will bite before they launch any service?

Very disappointed,thought there would be all the info of what services would be available..Hope this isn't a sign of things to come,since i NEED this service!! :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)