VOOM Local vs DirecTV?

jc_shaggy

Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
I am a current DirecTV user hoping to be vooming soon, but I have a question about the receiving locals with V*.
When receiving local digital signals OTA through my D* STB all of the non-HD (4/3) programming (non-WideScreen) shows up with vertical bars (pillar-box?). So, to prevent burn-in, I only watch the local non-WS programs through D* locals (analog) in stretched mode. If I switch to V* what are the options for watching local 4/3 programming? Does the V* box allow me to receive the locals in analog/SD and stretch when non-12/9 programming is being broadcast or would I be stuck with the bars? I've seen discussion in another thread that leads me to believe I would have to switch modes on the box, I'm hoping thats not the case.
Thanks!

The Voom box allows you to view narrow (4:3) programming in either stretch or pillarbox (bars) mode. The option affects all channels broadcasting in that ratio. It's not a one-button; you must navigate through menus to switch it.

Do you have a plasma screen? If not you won't get burn-in with the other technologies.

Gill, watching HDTV under clear Seattle skies

Calibrate your TV and don't worry about it if it's not Plasma. I've been viewing WS programs almost exclusively over the last 3 years on my old 27" TV and it shows no sign of burnin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)