VOOM not helping Sears.

cleanerguy

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2004
Hello,

I stopped by Sears today while at the Mall in Erie, PA zipcode 16506, because I am trying to fiqure out where the satillite would point at on my property. Can you help?

I was asking about VOOM and the one girl stated that a rep from Voom was doing training Wed. There was another Sears salesperson standing right by, and he said VOOM has done nothing so far to help them, all they really sell is DISH.

What a shame.

Yip, same story at my local sears. no one knows anything beyond what the flyers tell them. they barly even know about Dish Network.

VOOM needs to get their butts in circuit city. They need to have the reps there pushing VOOM out the door with every new HDTV purchase. "Oh you want an HDTV?Well don't forget to sign up for VOOM or you won't have any HD content. What's HD? Well check out VOOM right over here and we'll show you?"

Having VOOM providing all that free HD content to the Best Buy stores would help them push more HD's out the door. I'd think it would be a win win for both companies.

Hey,

Trust me I am not up on this stuff, might of studied it in grade school 30 years ago.
Now if I can just figure out where 61.5W is in the sky I will be happy.

LyngSat SatTracker
Rainbow 1 at 61.5°W

Thanks

Hello,

If I stand on my front porch the sun comes up somewhat South East, that would be pretty close.

At about 10am the Voom Satellite is about two-thirds of the way up to the sun from the ground. If you can imagine how low on the horizon the sun is during the middle of January at 10 am, that's about where the sat is.

So apparently I will have placement facing East, more South East.
I was hoping to aviod that, my back yard faces west and I have a clear line.

I will have to think of where to place it.

What about a garage I have in the backyard, I use it for storage, I can have the line ran under ground to the house? Is that possible?

I guess you could have it run underground but you only get like 250 ft of cable included in a standard cable run. The installer may be able to attach it to the side of the house "peeking" over the edge of the roof, assuming that you don't want it on your roof.
My house faces due south so the installer mounted the dish on the backside of my roof, pointing over the peak. You can't even see the dish when you are standing in my yard.

HeavyC said:
VOOM needs to get their butts in circuit city. They need to have the reps there pushing VOOM out the door with every new HDTV purchase.
You couldnt be more right. You think the HD buyer in CC wants to spend anymore money on a fricken sat box? They will jump on a free voom box. But another problem is Sears here only has access to like 3 channels of Voom? They just do not get it.

vurbano said:
You couldnt be more right. You think the HD buyer in CC wants to spend anymore money on a fricken sat box? They will jump on a free voom box. But another problem is Sears here only has access to like 3 channels of Voom? They just do not get it.
How 'bout this scenario:
"Thank You for shopping at Best Buy/Circuit City. To ensure that you fully enjoy your new HDTV here is a certificate redeemable for 60 days of Voom for free. All you need to do is call 1-800-GET-VOOM. In addition to the most HD programming available anywhere you will also receive an antenna so that you can watch all of the major networks that are broadcasting in our area for free."
That would work rather well I would think.

My back garage is about 20 feet from my deck which is off the family room,
Garage is 8 feet in height,

Some one must of tried this before, or something like it. This way I will not have to put a dish in the front yard.

cleanerguy said:
My back garage is about 20 feet from my deck which is off the family room,
Garage is 8 feet in height,

Some one must of tried this before, or something like it. This way I will not have to put a dish in the front yard.
You won't have to put the dish in your front yard. :)

wasch_24 said:
At about 10am the Voom Satellite is about two-thirds of the way up to the sun from the ground. If you can imagine how low on the horizon the sun is during the middle of January at 10 am, that's about where the sat is.

Now, this is solely from memory so I may have the month wrong and I'm just guessing at the times. I have the specifics at home and could post a link from those if anyone is interested.

There is a week period in October and March (I think those months - and something like the 7th through the 14th) where on exact times of the day the sun matches the exact location of each of the sats, i.e., 61.5, 101, 119 and 149 (or whatever the number). In other words if you can see the sun at 11:00 am without obstruction - you can lock 61.5; at 1:00pm it's 101, etc.

ricks said:
Now, this is solely from memory so I may have the month wrong and I'm just guessing at the times. I have the specifics at home and could post a link from those if anyone is interested.

There is a week period in October and March (I think those months - and something like the 7th through the 14th) where on exact times of the day the sun matches the exact location of each of the sats, i.e., 61.5, 101, 119 and 149 (or whatever the number). In other words if you can see the sun at 11:00 am without obstruction - you can lock 61.5; at 1:00pm it's 101, etc.
Actually, I was just trying to help him visualize where it is but that makes sense. Of course what day it happens on depends where in the U.S. you are.

wasch_24 said:
Actually, I was just trying to help him visualize where it is but that makes sense. Of course what day it happens on depends where in the U.S. you are.

I'm going to have to mull that one over. I'm far from a genius on this kind of stuff. Sometimes I can't even read a map. :) But I don't believe the instructions I mentioned made any allowance for location. The exact month and time of month was what was important. If the sun at 11:00 am on March 7th is exactly in line with 61.5 in West Palm Beach, why wouldn't it also be in line from Buffalo? :confused:

Edit: Isn't that the point - the azimuth and elevation in Buffalo would be significantly different than in WPB - just as the lock on 61.5 would be different.

ricks said:
I'm going to have to mull that one over. I'm far from a genius on this kind of stuff. Sometimes I can't even read a map. :) But I don't believe the instructions I mentioned made any allowance for location. The exact month and time of month was what was important. If the sun at 11:00 am on March 7th is exactly in line with 61.5 in West Palm Beach, why wouldn't it also be in line from Buffalo? :confused:
Would it be in line from seatle, washington? I don't know? Maybe it will, I didn't mean to imply that as fact, just observation. It very well might not matter at all.

"Would it be in line from seatle, washington?"

If I understand it correctly, yes it would, as long as it was 11:00 in Seattle and not when it was 11:00 in Buffalo or WPB. But it would be a totally different azimuth and elevation from that in Buffalo, or from that in WPB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)