Take a Photo Tour of the Voom Facility

Hey, thanks for that link. Pretty cool photos. Place looks like it's jammed with all the latest technolgies.

:) I gotta say, I like the table legs in the reception area.

Those old TVs remind me of my youth, I actually saw the first TV ever invented at a museum at Knott's Berry Farm, it is a 1" tube about 2' deep and it still worked back around 1968. I hate to admit it, but I grew up watching B&W TV. We got a color set around 1964 and that was the most amazing thing to watch "The Wonderful World of Disney" in glorious color.

I'm embarrassed to say that my folks deadfastly denied a color TV in the house till ...gasp.. 1978. No, thats not a misprint. Boy, were we deprived kids.

Personally, I never had a color TV until 1986! I was in the Army for about 8 years and never felt like lugging one around, besides, I was more into audio anyway, I just had a small 13" B&W.

:D Yea, but look at you now. Now you want it in feet and HD.

Off topic, but what happened to your PJ?

I went to power it on Wed night and got a very dim image so I shut it off and tried again and got nothing. The status light blinked red, which meant "nobody home" so I called Boxlight and told them I heard what sounded like a fan rattling when the bulb was trying to ignite and they think a fan may be faulty, preventing the lamp from coming on. The lamp blips briefly then shuts off so I'm hoping it's not a blown bulb. I am just outside of lamp warranty but they said they would replace it, so maybe I should hope for a blown bulb so I get a new one for free.

It should have arrived at the service facility today, it took Fed-Ups 3 days to get their butts out here for the pickup (I work out in the middle of nowhere). If I'd known it would've taken so long, I would have dropped it off at a Fed-Ups pickup point. They said 7-10 business days in shop so I hope to have it back by the weekend of the 24th.

Well, I do wish you a speedy return on your beloved PJ in the very least. I know I'd sorely miss my NEC.

Well this doesn't look "Mickey Mouse" to me. Maybe this should be posted on some of those OTHER FORUMS that can't say anything nice about VOOM! Never mind they still wouldn't. Thanks for the Post.

Halon

I thought it was interesting that a seemingly new facility has Halon. Last I had heard, Halon was considered harmful to the ozone layer, had been banned from new sales, and all existing Halon systems were to have been disposed of by the mid 1990's. I knew the rules about disposal were relaxed, but am surprised to see a new install. I know that government facilities were disposing of their Halon in the early 90's - though the facility I work at still has Halon (from the 1970's).

BTW - I got to see a computer room after the accidental release of Halon - what a mess. Floor and ceiling tiles popped, paper and dust everywhere, and even panels and doors blown open on servers!

Mr. Biggles said:
I'm embarrassed to say that my folks deadfastly denied a color TV in the house till ...gasp.. 1978. No, thats not a misprint. Boy, were we deprived kids.

I was born in 1978!!!!!!!!!!!!

bbtkd said:
I thought it was interesting that a seemingly new facility has Halon. Last I had heard, Halon was considered harmful to the ozone layer, had been banned from new sales, and all existing Halon systems were to have been disposed of by the mid 1990's. I knew the rules about disposal were relaxed, but am surprised to see a new install. I know that government facilities were disposing of their Halon in the early 90's - though the facility I work at still has Halon (from the 1970's).

BTW - I got to see a computer room after the accidental release of Halon - what a mess. Floor and ceiling tiles popped, paper and dust everywhere, and even panels and doors blown open on servers!
Maybe thats why it isnt hooked up?

All I know about Halon is that it was in the movie Terminator 2. How I just remebered this is beyond me. I havn't seen that movie in about 7 years.

I think I am going towatch that movie this weekend:)

DarrellP said:
....It should have arrived at the service facility today, it took Fed-Ups 3 days to get their butts out here for the pickup (I work out in the middle of nowhere). If I'd known it would've taken so long, I would have dropped it off at a Fed-Ups pickup point. They said 7-10 business days in shop so I hope to have it back by the weekend of the 24th.

You should have bought an Infocus projector, being right in your backyard and all. When I had a similar problem with my Infocus Screenplay, I drove down from Portland to bring it to them and they replaced a board and a power supply free of charge (despite being out of warranty). I had it back and within 72 hours. It was definately worth going local for me.

Not true of InFocus anymore, they moved their service facility to Virginia or somewhere like that just last week. We have an InFocus pj at work that just had to go in for service and the RMA email we received had a disclaimer about service taking 5-10 days longer now due to the move. Besides, DLP rainbows drive me crazy.

marty2112 said:
Very strange seeing pictures of my facility! Let me tell you, they dont do any justice to the scope of the work we did there!!!!

Marty,

is it possible to get some brief explanation in layman terms of the equipment in the facility and the functionality?

Sean Mota said:
Marty,

is it possible to get some brief explanation in layman terms of the equipment in the facility and the functionality?
The basic function of the TOC (for VOOM) is to monitor the VOOM channels. We do this by mapping 130 VOOM STBs, each tuned to one channel to 13 40" LCD monitors. Each monitor has been broken into 10 screens (7SD / 3 HD). At a quick glance, the operator will know if there is a channel off the air. We also can monitor the control room feeds of the 21 Exclusive VOOM channels, prior to air. All other feeds are C-Band downlinks which we turn around.

Compression and encryption is also monitored through the TOC. We make sure that we keep all the channels encrypted and monitor the health of the encoders.

With the addition of ESPN, we are also responsible for all regional blackouts and alternate programming uplinks.

Wrap all the other Rainbow services into this and you got a very busy 24 x 7 department!!

Mr. Biggles said:

I was spoiled, my parents bought me a 13" color tv when I was 9 in 1974 for my bedroom.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)