Voom on a Standard(4:3) TV

txbigguy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
Ok guys I am just about to pull the trigger and get my voom set up but I have one question left. Can I hook the voom reciever up to a TV that is a standard(4:3) tv. I will be replacing it soon with an HD one but I dont have it at this time.

Thanks for the quick reply.... I am off to call and order now...... :clap

For those of you with Voom on a standard 4x3 TV, what settings are you using? SUch as output (480i, auto, etc...) and letterbox, squash, etc...?

I am using s-video, leaving the HD outputs set at 1080i (you can set at anything won't make any difference to the SD outputs) and have set to letterbox output when watching the HD channels. The SD channels are Full screen.

I found I had to set my box on Auto to get my analog TV to display properly. It didn't matter what setting I had in the menu, nothing worked until I set it on Auto, I got a vertically stretched image. My TV does not do image squishing.

I'm using a Sony XBR analog until the new Sammy's are released. I found a color problem until I went with a component cable and 480i (component won't work on any other setting). I'm not a videophile so I don't know the correct term but on composite cable (changing through all resolutions made no difference) I would notice a slight problem. S-video was truly horrible. Color was all over the place. If you looked at a person's face, part would be in correct color, but say from the cheekbone through the cheeks it would be all washed-out or pasty looking. Had a ghostly looking effect. Color in the background would do the same. Watching a baseball game was a horror - field had numerous shades of green. Looking at a person's clothing would produce the same effect - areas would be true color, others (particularly around folds in clothing) would be all washed-out and pasty. Bad enough that I really couldn't watch it.

Component cable set at 480i solved all of the problems. I don't see the minor problem I had with composite cable and, of course, the horror of S-video is gone. I really don't understand why S-video was so bad and I tried every possible combination of settings to resolve it but never did. Component and 480i on my analog set is comparable to they way a DVD appears on the same set. Definitely better than the old cable picture.

Now, I not so patiently wait for the new Sammy's to be released.

txbigguy said:
Ok guys I am just about to pull the trigger and get my voom set up but I have one question left. Can I hook the voom reciever up to a TV that is a standard(4:3) tv. I will be replacing it soon with an HD one but I dont have it at this time.
yes, voom has rg6 connections, rca, s video, component and dvi

vurbano said:
yes, voom has rg6 connections, rca, s video, component and dvi
Unforunatly no RGB connection so I can't hook to montor I use on E*. Anyone know if/where I might find a component to RGB converter?

I Have A Componen to RGB Converter For My 36" RCA 4:3. All Signals Fron The HD Outputs On The Voom STB Appear to Be 16:9 So When Watching An HD Program Instead
Of Getting A Letterbox Picture It's Stretched. There Is Not A Setting On The Voom STB To Force The HD Outputs To Feed 4:3, They Appear To Always Be 16:9.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)