Espn-hd, not the WOW factor! (1 Viewer)

Sean Mota

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
19,014
1,684
New York City
A lot of people (including me) are hoping to get this channel. Wait for a big surprise as ESPN-HD is not give you the WOW factor that you saw at the Japanese World Series shown in WorldSport-HD.
 

Sean Mota

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
19,014
1,684
New York City
astrossuperfan said:
The title of this thread is SOOOO wrong. Sean you tease!

Sorry about that. I changed it. I watched the San Francisco Giants last night for about an hour and it was not the WOW factor that I have seen in WorldSport-HD or HDnet.
 

oby

SatelliteGuys Family
Dec 11, 2003
35
8
I watched the game last night on ESPN HD, and I said to myself, "WOW".

I hate to think what my reaction would be to your VOOM channel.
 

astrossuperfan

Baseball Junkie
Supporting Founder
Mar 30, 2004
239
0
H-town, Tejas
I wish I could have watched it, in HD or SD, on VOOM!! What is going to be sad is when ESPN covers the NFL draft. I'm really going to miss it then. Maybe NFL-Network will mirror ESPN's coverage?
 

Sean Mota

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
19,014
1,684
New York City
oby said:
I watched the game last night on ESPN HD, and I said to myself, "WOW".

I hate to think what my reaction would be to your VOOM channel.

HDnet did some minor league baseball last year and WOW effect was the same as the WorldSport Japanese World Series. To me ESPN-HD is most overated HD channel. I know that we all need our Sports SD/HD but I will not expect greatness for it.

Even my local channels WPIX (WB) when they do Mets Home Baseball games, the WOW effect is there.
 

madpoet

Too Much Hi Def!
Supporting Founder
Mar 3, 2004
1,154
0
Vernon, CT
Doubtful, ESPN has that oen locked up pretty tight. I agree, ESPN HD is far from wow. In fact, I could care less about theHD part until football season. I need the SD version so that I can get my PTI!
 

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
23,813
104
Newport News, VA
I continually criticize espnhd, and I will not stop until they improve. 20 events in HD a month. A new HD complex coming in june for fluff programs. No money for renting more trucks! It just bites. bad. And they keep MLB away from M Cuban? It like a child hoarding toys and only playing with one once in awhile.
 

Lucky

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 8, 2003
905
0
New York
We heard about two weeks ago that a CSR officially said that ESPN would be coming to VOOM in two weeks. Well, still no ESPN on VOOM. I think it was another espisode of sham information from a CSR. I, personally, will never believe another thing said by a CSR on programming.
 

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
23,813
104
Newport News, VA
I believe they said by the end of the month, the 2 week thing was a comparison to the contract signing with Bravo and it apearing on voom.
 

Lucky

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 8, 2003
905
0
New York
vurbano said:
I believe they said by the end of the month, the 2 week thing was a comparison to the contract signing with Bravo and it apearing on voom.


Don't hold your breath. These CSR's have been wrong about programming every time.
 

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
23,813
104
Newport News, VA
Sean Mota said:
HDnet did some minor league baseball last year and WOW effect was the same as the WorldSport Japanese World Series. To me ESPN-HD is most overated HD channel. I know that we all need our Sports SD/HD but I will not expect greatness for it.

Even my local channels WPIX (WB) when they do Mets Home Baseball games, the WOW effect is there.
I agree Sean, and there is a particular article on ESPN's website that in my opinion, is totally contradictory to their HD product and the way they are progressing. But every time I mention it, get this, the MODERATOR on AVS scolds me? tell me I shouldnt comment on how they run their business because "we" are too ignorant of the business and that we should be "grateful" for what they "give" us. Man that makes me hot. "give" me? "grateful"? Last time I checked espnhd was in a pay package. Just go over there and disagree with that Pompous Jackass. ANyone that disagrees with him or the network contacts is immediately "put" in their place.

IMHO a moderator should tolerate all ideas, and spend his time editing foul language and educating as he can.

I applaud the way you treat your users Sean. And it is refreshing to see a moderator without blinders on. Your doing a great job!!!
 

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
23,813
104
Newport News, VA
Lucky said:
Don't hold your breath. These CSR's have been wrong about programming every time.
Well I believe it will be here soon. It is on their frequently asked question section now with a response that they are in negotiations with espn. So it is coming.
 

madpoet

Too Much Hi Def!
Supporting Founder
Mar 3, 2004
1,154
0
Vernon, CT
vurbano said:
I agree Sean, and there is a particular article on ESPN's website that in my opinion, is totally contradictory to their HD product and the way they are progressing. But every time I mention it, get this, the MODERATOR on AVS scolds me? tell me I shouldnt comment on how they run their business because "we" are too ignorant of the business and that we should be "grateful" for what they "give" us. Man that makes me hot. "give" me? "grateful"? Last time I checked espnhd was in a pay package. Just go over there and disagree with that Pompous Jackass. ANyone that disagrees with him or the network contacts is immediately "put" in their place.

IMHO a moderator should tolerate all ideas, and spend his time editing foul language and educating as he can.

I applaud the way you treat your users Sean. And it is refreshing to see a moderator without blinders on. Your doing a great job!!!

Vurbano... while I agree that Sean does a great job, you're totally taking your AVS posts out of context. If you have a problem with AVS, take it there.

-MP
 

Boondockbill

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 5, 2004
218
0
ESPN delivers HD in 720, barely better than my C-Band picture. Anything in 720 is not that great.

However, 1080 is simply awesome. If you've seen that WOW picture (usually Discovery HD and such), it'll blow your socks off. Why ESPNHD has decided to go with an obviously inferior picture, is cause for concern.

ESPN really has dropped the ball. If I'm stuck watching their lame 720 sends, than I'm really hoping for another channel that'll give me true HD - 1080.

ESPNHD is barely watchable, in my opinion.

Ever watch soccer on HDNET? Yeah, that's how it's done!

I have VOOM, DISHHD, OYA, and my trusty ole BUD. As soon as VOOM gets ESPNHD, my DISHHD is history.

BB
 

madpoet

Too Much Hi Def!
Supporting Founder
Mar 3, 2004
1,154
0
Vernon, CT
Boondockbill said:
ESPN delivers HD in 720, barely better than my C-Band picture. Anything in 720 is not that great.

...

ESPN really has dropped the ball. If I'm stuck watching their lame 720 sends, than I'm really hoping for another channel that'll give me true HD - 1080.

BB

Bill... I think you're insane if you think a true encoded 720p picture is a bad thing. There is a very valid argument to be made that 720p is a superior format to 1080i. If you really see that big a difference, I would suggest that it is your display device's inadequate scaling, and not the image.

720p is true HD.

-MP
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts

Top